Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Even above the EVO loop I like the Locked Brummel loops I made. I really dislike how fiddly and hard soft shackles are to manipulate. I have put these on all of my Tarp RL's and Tree side suspension attachments.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    All I can say is that like Chapinb I have been hanging off them for a couple of years and have lived to tell the tale.

I suppose there is some very unlikely combination of events whereby it might work its way loose while unloaded, but even with the slightest load the constricting loop takes a set and when loaded it simply isn't going to fail. If there's any doubt, a quick glance can confirm that it is set properly.

If you think the Evo looks sketchy, you really wouldn't like my Lapp hitch to CL. Before I knew what it was I referred to it as "Death Hitch" because it just looks so crazy simple that it couldn't possibly work. I've hung off it many (many!) nights now with not a micron of slippage.
    agreed, i can see how it would work reasonably well, it just worries me. as i said, it's a matter of preference, and i'm aware people use all kinds of innovative methods and "get away with it".

Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    Even above the EVO loop I like the Locked Brummel loops I made. I really dislike how fiddly and hard soft shackles are to manipulate. I have put these on all of my Tarp RL's and Tree side suspension attachments.
    i know exactly what you mean i think, and i'm also quite active in exploring new ideas (including with softshackles, which have a really special place), i know you're one of the "explorers" too, and it's one of the things i enjoy most about the hammock community. i don't think i'm familiar with the "locked brummel loop" you mention though, do you mean a "fixed" capture loop, which is "big enough but not too big", so to speak?

i've been trying to come up with a less fidly softshackle myself, or as i like to think of it, more a soft binner than shackle (shackles are not meant to be connected and disconnected as often as carabinners, so even the hard shackles are not quick to work with at all). i have some prototypes, but the fact i don't have a testing rig to verify is killing me and making me hold back (what if i'm missing something and, despite my judgement, there's actually something unsafe about them which i cannot see? - sort of thing); on the other hand this is how we evolve things, by discussing and testing, so maybe i should consider posting it with a clear disclaimer etc. aghh.

in any case, thanks for exploring interesting options. some say hammocks are about confort or light weight or various things. honestly, i often wonder if the thing that attracts me most isn't that i get to play with ropes and stuff, and figure out new ways of "engineering" setups. i guess there might be a subset of us guilty of this mindset

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk Yeti View Post
    I use evo loops on my UHMWPE straps rather than hardware, no issues.
    Attachment 184154
    Yeti, I'm having trouble seeing how your evo loop attaches to the strap. Is it similar to cmoulder's picture in post #4, but with the loop slid away from the strap somehow? I've used the type cmoulder showed, and sometimes have put a small loop of lighter cord through the loop to tug it open when disconnecting.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nanok View Post
    i know exactly what you mean i think, and i'm also quite active in exploring new ideas (including with softshackles, which have a really special place), i know you're one of the "explorers" too, and it's one of the things i enjoy most about the hammock community. i don't think i'm familiar with the "locked brummel loop" you mention though, do you mean a "fixed" capture loop, which is "big enough but not too big", so to speak?
    We discussed this in your thread about Soft Shackles back in July.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    I find a simple locked brummel loop (2nd loop in pic) will capture and hold the button knot securely. I1) EVO Loop: 2) Locked Brummel Loop: 3) Pass through Loop: works but can load one lines unevenly. 4) Traditional soft shackle.
    Attachment 181545.
    The button knot is inserted from the tree side, so it does not come apart. To take apart, the system tension is removed and the button knot is pushed back through the rope holding it. It can be done and undone one handed with gloves if needed.
    Last edited by jeff-oh; 01-25-2021 at 12:38.

ah yeah, thanks for the reminder jeff, i thought it sounded familiar. so if i understand correctly, the intended use is particularly with that loop hitched to a treestrap (for some reason it was not clear to me at the time, perhaps because i was talking about "general use" shackles rather). it sounds interesting i guess, i'd need to play with it in that particular configuration to see how it behaves. how critical would you say the sizing of the loop is (the part between the locked brummel), and what would the sizing depend on? (percentage of treestrap width or such?)

i do like how clean and simple it is, at first glance.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by m00ch View Post
    Heck, I don’t even make the constrictor loop anymore as cmoulder pointed out, I just put the loop over the knot. Many, many nights on both the hammock end and tree strap end without a failure.

Not saying it couldn’t happen but I can say it hasn’t happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LOL yeah Ima going with the odds on this one!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair 12’
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dynaweb
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Yeti, I'm having trouble seeing how your evo loop attaches to the strap. Is it similar to cmoulder's picture in post #4, but with the loop slid away from the strap somehow? I've used the type cmoulder showed, and sometimes have put a small loop of lighter cord through the loop to tug it open when disconnecting.
    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...dTzyDU8zbAPmgi The bit Jeff does between 6:40-7:00 mins.

The shackles will work as you show in your pics, but the knot really should be passed through the larks head loop once more, so you'll have more cord on each side of the knot when it's latched in place.

Take a look a this clip from Jeff Myers:
    https://youtu.be/NCCOPXbkn1A?t=21

Hammock
    Little Shop of Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Suspension
    J Bend
    Re: hammockprime’s post (and the video linked):

That’s how I’ve been rolling for 2021, with no issues thus far (about three or four dozen hangs this summer?)

I’m confused why it’s not more popular, given the price of amsteel and the ease of tying the knots.
    Last edited by KingMob; 07-05-2021 at 11:37. Reason: Clarify which post I was referring to

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Evo loops have been a mainstay on all of my suspensions for the tree connection for a few years now. I've not had one issue. They are extremely reliable, super lightweight, and are dead simple to use.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast