Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images

40 X 60 GG pad

I just thought I'd drop a note in here about my experience with a 40"X60" 1/4" GG pad. Earlier this year, I completed my DIY DL ripstop/Pertex hammock. Most of the winter, I used the hammock with whatever down UQ solution looked appropriate. This past week lows have climbed above 40° F, so I though I'd try my GG pad between the layers. Since lows were in the 40's and not 50's, I folded the pad in half to be used as a 30" wide by 40" long pad.

The result? I must say, I was quite satisfied. At 43° F, I remained toasty warm wearing just a t-shirt and track suit. The ripstop top layer of the hammock seemed to give me just enough of a gap to keep me from wetting out underneath. On top, I used a 13 ounce BPL synthetic 90 quilt. I've tried pads with a single layer hammock many times alone and with an SPE, but I must say that having a layer of ripstop between me and a CCF pad is MUCH better. Not having your pad slide around is another plus.

This looks like a pretty decent set up for those times when a lot of wet weather is expected and temps won't dip below 40°F. The synthetic BPL quilt should be able to retain a good bit of insulation, and the pad won't absorb any water at all. The pad is huge, but it can be folder over after it has been rolled up leaving you with a slightly smaller than wally world blue foam size. Again, no major news alert. I just thought I'd throw it out there.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Great review. I think I will be getting one of these for my summer time set up. I would like a summer UQ/TQ but in the end my wallet will probably side with the GG pad

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    Great review. I think I will be getting one of these for my summer time set up. I would like a summer UQ/TQ but in the end my wallet will probably side with the GG pad
    I've got a Te-Wa 3 season, but this pad with a double layer hammock seems to be a pretty good set up. It looks like JRB has a 26X40 for under 10 bucks if you knew it would not dip below 55 ° or so. Still, I like the 30" width better as it wraps around my shoulders and hips much better than a 26". Too bad you missed the BPL moving sale a while back. They were under $100 for their Primaloft versions.

Images
    Did you trim it? I got one from Oware ( I understand they're pretty similar) and I am thinking I'll need to cut it down some. what dimensions do you all recommend?

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy hex
    Insulation
    diy kaq & down top
    Images
    Hey thanks for the review--I've been thinking about trying out one of these

Quote Originally Posted by Mundele View Post
    Did you trim it? I got one from Oware ( I understand they're pretty similar) and I am thinking I'll need to cut it down some. what dimensions do you all recommend?
    Try it out as is first. I have the Oware and I think there's some extra benefits that come with its 60 X 40" size. To my mind, the extra width and, to some extent the length, helps keep the pad in place in my Hennessy. In other words, if there is slippage it's only an inch or two. Further, the extra width tends to cup around the shoulders providing some additional insulation and wind block there.

The older 3/8"-thick Oware weighs 7oz, the newer, 1/4"-thick model comes in at 6oz (both figures are Oware's). Cutting either one down won't result in much weight savings and the same might be said for reducing bulk/volume.

One more advantage to the full size... The last time I tent camped I combined the Oware with my 20+ year old ThermaRest. The ThermaRest was
    inserted taco-style into the Oware which was folded along its long axis. It was the most comfortable combination of ground pads I've ever experienced.

FB

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You may also want to consider THIS from JRB. The price is unbeatable (less than $10) and the pad is a great size for feet and legs insulation with a partial UQ. I was comfy using mine into the 25-28 degree range earlier this year.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

• + New Posts