Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I think the temp bonus varies. I have unzipped the bugnet and felt a "cold" rush of air, and other times not felt a difference.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    For those of you that don't like permethrin, you can also launder your hammock with lemon eucalyptus, geranium, peppermint and especially pyrethrum. They're all used for aromatherapy, and they all repel or even kill insects. I've watched flying insects approach, then evade my hammock when treated.

I also use a home brew of most of the above combined with rubbing alcohol, olive oil and filtered water. I use the home brew as a spray on for myself. It will repel bugs, make you smell perty and it can even be used to sanitize your hands. It does not absorb into your skin, so it is not sweat proof. During the hot and humid times of the year, I'll apply it on skin every couple of hours. When I soak my hammock in a diluted solution, it works for a few weeks or until it gets wet or washed.
    Last edited by wisenber; 04-03-2010 at 21:55. Reason: forgot content

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    I do most of my hanging in Iowa and Minnesota. Bug-net needed May-August. During the warm weather months you can usually get away without one if the temps are below 50 or it's been dry for several weeks.

Randy
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post

"Harmless once is had dried" is pretty funny. Then why do the bugs die?

Not everything that is poisonous to insects is poisonous to humans. Permethrin is routinely used on crops. That is not to say that it is safe, just that your level of exposure in a permethrin treated hammock is very low compared to your daily exposure. Also, permethrin treated bug nets are the biggest single factor in reducing the spread of malaria in third world countries. All of that being said, I don't see how a treated hammock would make a bug net unnecessary. It does keep the little blighters from biting me from below, but I have been using a bug net overhead.

On a different note, B-12 has long been touted as a mosquito repellent. I've been taking a lot of B-12 because my blood work came back B-12 deficient. Now, I've always been sweetmeat for 'skeeters, but while outdoors with my wife the other night, I was bite free and she was getting bitten. Clinical evidence has never confirmed that B-12 works against mosquitoes, but so far my testing says that it works. We are going to have a very buggy spring and summer, so this will be the perfect environment for further trials. I will keep you posted.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Another option for warmer weather is site selection. If you can find an area with a steady breeze, you'll avoid most of the biters. I usually carry some form of bugnet but usually don't bother deploying it when there is a steady wind.

When my hammock is treated, the bugs usually don't get near it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    How about this:

• A bugnet that overlaps your Top Blanket.
    • Drapes onto the top blanket a couple of feet down from the head end, so you have room in front of your face.
    • Drapes over your head and shoulders inside the hammock, or it could fall outside the hammock.
    • Above your head, two or three sliding loops fastened to your ridgeline.
    • Want to get out? Push the mess aside and go!

Kinda like DebW's BugBivvy, but not enveloping the hammock.

- MacEntyre

This sounds a lot like the Simblissity bugnet.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    When it's a hot evening, I often fall asleep in my hammock w/ my TQ wadded up under me me or kicked down to the foot of the hammock, and I'm wearing shorts. Usually a t-shirt but not always. So a headnet or half-bugnet wouldn't work for me on those nights.

I think there are many nights where it would work pretty well, though. The challenge would be to keep it pulled away from the head but still have a good seal along the chest area. Maybe sew it to the hammock down to the chest area, then have a panel that hangs down on top of the chest.

I guess you could do the same thing by wrapping it around the hammock, just like Deb did in the picture...it would just be a little heavier, but removable.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    I'm still thinking one of these might work (or be made to) hanging from the RL.
    http://www.gotogazzos.com/catalog/pr...1359&pid=66066
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    Mayan, Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Downmat
    I am from New Mexico / Colorado, where mosquitos usually are bearable, Ants are more of a problem. Nothing like waking up with an army ant clamped to your huevos. And the little black ones will drive you mad crawling on your face. A hammock itself takes care of the ants though. Yeah baby....

I can see loosing the bug net in the dry or in the cold. But if decent no-seeum netting only weighs .7 oz a yard why bother? It gives me a fake sense of security if nothing else. And I like the ridgeline to hang my Photon and water off of.

Permethrin kills fish with ease and I swim when ever possible, so I am wary. But a local sporting goods has a bottle of the clothes soaker stuff on sale for $2. Thinking about it for the next trip to a buggy place..

I was a big fan of B-12 mixed with caffine for the tropics, and was thinking of using it in the states to rid myself of DEET. But I recently read a study saying it is totally ineffecive...... study may be B.S. or Pedro and I may have a placebo effect.

And dude, Boarstone. Mice constantly invading you hammock? Maine is no joke.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    optimator,
    thanks for that link....for $14 (including shipping) i'll give it a try....I will whittle it down if at all posssible for a goal of 3.5 ounces.
    With someone in a gathered end hammock the hammock is really like two cones opposing each other..the pic in the link you posted if turned 90 degrees is the cone shape I'm looking for. Where the suspension cord leaves the black reinforcment patch is where I'll cut a hole and put the hammock suspension through. Judging by the length of the pictured there should be plenty of excess material to remove and approach 3-4 ounces.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast