Tarp
    Winter Dream Vs. 2
    Insulation
    Yeti 3 Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/ Biner
    Images

Red River Gorge KY Hang Backpacking Trip

Recently I have talked to a few people that echo me desire to have a group hang that is more of a backpacking trip.

I have picked a date - May 28th-29th-31st - for the following reasons.

1. It is a good time of the year for temps to not be too cold nor too hot.

2. It is a good time of year to have access to water.

3. It is on a holiday weekend, Memorial day, so that people traveling would still have a day left on their weekends when they arrived home.

I would like to keep this date unless there are too many that cannot make it that would want to. So please comment and let me know.

I have made up a temporary agenda as well..

Friday day one: Park at a trail head and hike around 2 miles to the hang site,

Saturday day two:

Option one would consist of a loop around 4 miles back to the hang site, then proceed further another 6 miles to the second hang site for a total of 10 miles

Option two would consist of a larger loop about 8 miles, back to the hang site and then further another 6 to the second hang site for a total of 14 miles

Option three just proceed the 6 miles to the second hang site.

Sunday day three: Hike 3 miles to a parking site where I will park my truck, I will be able to then shuttle everyone back up to the original starting point where the cars are parked.

Please let me know feelings and thoughts about this and thank you for your time.

"dirt"
    Last edited by Pak-Man; 04-03-2010 at 20:02.
    “Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become bigger, fatter, shinier acorns; but that is of interest only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better: that we can become oak trees.”

E. F. Schumacher

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I am in. I love rrg.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I could make it that weekend and always enjoy time in the gorge.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Yea sounds awesome, add me to the list, although i will have to check my work schedule! Excited! Finally get to meet some forum members. Will you be documenting?

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    I'm hating it, i'll be on the AT in Conn/Mass then and I really need an RRG experience...I"m just hoping another one comes up in the fall.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Winter Dream Vs. 2
    Insulation
    Yeti 3 Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/ Biner
    Images

Interest Check

Well I am glad that there is some interest in a hang like this.

With the three options, actualy there are more, people could pick and choose there distances and get to see a diverse range of the gorge if they choose to do some larger miles.

Poeple that decide to hike less milage can still meet up at the same spots as the others as well.. Also with the location of the second night's hang that is easily accessible for those who would want to just come down on Sat night to hang...

As long as there is interest in this hang I would like to be the facilitator and I would like to provide the same map, or copy there of, to everyone that wants to come. I have some other ideas as well, but I need to plan them a little longer then overnight.

Thank you everyone so far for your interest in this hang.

I do want to say a few things...

1). This place is dangerous, please bring kids and pets at your own risk. There are cliffs everywhere and at least 2 people die from falling each year.

2). There is a NO ALCOHOL RULE in place at the park. Being very fond of the RRG area I would urge everyone in attendance to striclty follow the rules. If found, and they will be patroling this weekend, there are heavy fines and it would look very bad on the "hanging" community.

3). This area is again very very dangerous, the second night and third day is in the wilderness area, where there one of the highest concentration of copperheads in the US. There are also Timber Rattlers and Bear. Plan Appropriately...

Thank you everyone.

"dirt"
    “Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become bigger, fatter, shinier acorns; but that is of interest only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better: that we can become oak trees.”

E. F. Schumacher

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    AAARRG! Too far to justify for a 2 day trip for my 200,000+ mile van (Friday & Saturday). If it was the next weekend, I would get there on Thurs & leave Monday. I get a 5 day weekend every 3rd week, that weekend isn't one of them

BUT, if Firewalker wants to go for just 2 days: Where are we going? Trails / trailhead / sites?

Thanks for doing this. Hope I can make it.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Winter Dream Vs. 2
    Insulation
    Yeti 3 Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/ Biner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    BUT, if Firewalker wants to go for just 2 days: Where are we going? Trails / trailhead / sites?

Thanks for doing this. Hope I can make it.
    Doctari,

The first night would be exactly as the last RRG hang. we would park at the lot just south of the swinging bridge and hike down Sheltowee to the intersection and camp.

The second day you would have the option of heading west and doing loops with Rough Trail, Pinchem Tight, Greys Arch, and Buck. Then heading back up Koomer Ridge to the first camp site. This would afford the opportunity to add an extra 4 or 8 miles to the trip for those who enjoy the hike. If you do not want to hike that much you would then head East on Rough to Swift Camp Creek and follow that to the creek. Just as you get to the Creek - Just as the trail heads south, you can walk across to a beautiful pine grove perfect for the hang. This will be the location of the second night's hang. Those who cannot make it on Friday woudl have the option of parking at the Rough Trail Parking area on 715 and just hiking the 2 to 2.5 miles to the hang site.

The Third day woudl be going down Swift Camp Creek Trail to the interseciton of Wildcat trail. We would take WCT to the Parking area where my truck will be parked. We can then shuttle everyone to there vehicles and we will be done.

"dirt"

E. F. Schumacher

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    I'm not going to be able to make this one. The gorge gets wicked crazy on holiday weekends in the summer months.
    Chris

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    M50 Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopie
    Images
    I'll happily go if I'm not working that weekend which at this point in time is largely unknown. :/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast