HH Exped
    Tarp
    Chinook 12' x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Exped Synmat 7
    Suspension
    Rings/garda hitch

First hang, Johnson City, TN

Well, I finally got to try this thing called hammock camping. I got my Hennessy Exped Asym from my wife for Valentine's day, but haven't had time/weather where I felt comfortable trying it out overnight. I'd set it up a couple times, but I was itching to see how it actually slept.

I returned home from my clinical rotation this past Thursday, with my bag already packed and ready to head off to nearby Buffalo Mountain for my first solo hang. Unfortunately, my lovely wife had come down with a terrible cold/sinus infection. I decided my commitment to being a good husband outweighed my desire to be on the trail, so after making her tea and soup, I decided to head out to the mountain bike trails behind nearby ETSU campus. With only 30 minutes of daylight left, I didn't get far, but I found some fine trees from which to hang. After setup (roughly 10 minutes, thanks to my new ring/garda hitch suspension) I tucked in for the night. The overnight low was around 47 F, and with my Exped Synmat 7 pad and 30 degree Lafuma down sleeping bag, I might as well have been in my bedroom.

If reading about how comfortable hammocks were on these forums were enough to get me interested in trying it out, actually sleeping in one was enough to convert me for life. Other than the call of nature a couple times and a couple rude awakenings from the nearby train tracks, I slept peacefully from about 9:00 to 5:30. Getting the pad to sit still was a challenge, but it didn't take me long to figure out how much air to let out before I could rest peacefully, while still staying warm.

I also learned that the stock tarp attachments on the Hennessy are not all that and a bag of chips. I have since made adjustable tarp ties using utility line and 4 s-biners (similar to those sold on Arrowhead's webpage) which work quite nicely. I thoroughly enjoyed my first hang, and I'm looking forward to many more to come.

Anyone have any (very) budget-minded suggestions for making my hanging experience better? I'm thinking my next additions might be the zipper mod and a bigger tarp, maybe the Chinook. Still learning though, so anything you guys suggest would be greatly appreciated!

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Congrats on getting out there! My vote would be for the tarp. Lots of options out there. You just need to pick a price and a size that suits you.

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    I have never tried a Hennessy, but the tarp issue seems to be a common theme. There are lots of options here, like Speer, OES, Warbonnet, BWDD, etc. Also an UQ will enhance the comfort significantly over your pad and without the fuss.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    I switched my small Expedition tarp for the Hex fly which was a huge improvement in foul weather (which we get quite a lot of over here).

Hammock
    HH Exped
    Tarp
    Chinook 12' x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Exped Synmat 7
    Suspension
    Rings/garda hitch
    I do want to obtain an UQ ASAP. I am confused though as to how one would use it with the stock Hennessy...Seems it would be hard to get in and out with the bottom entry. I definitely need to get the zipper mod I guess. Thanks for the feedback!

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamper View Post
    I do want to obtain an UQ ASAP. I am confused though as to how one would use it with the stock Hennessy...Seems it would be hard to get in and out with the bottom entry. I definitely need to get the zipper mod I guess. Thanks for the feedback!
    JRB Nest has a slit in it just for that purpose.

Hammock
    Chameleon by Dutch
    Tarp
    Sgt. Rock diy w/en
    Insulation
    JRB No-Sniveller+o
    Suspension
    yep
    Images
    I can highly recommend 2Q's zipper mod (http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com). The price is more than reasonable and the workmanship is amazing.

I also changed to whoopie sling suspension by just following the video by KEN in the DIY video section here on HammockForums. works fine and if I pulled it off, anybody can. I used 7/64 amsteel blue and would suggest using different color on each end.

Enjoy your hammock and hang out here on the forum, you can't beat it as a resource.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Full UQ/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    JRB Nest has a slit in it just for that purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by ishmael View Post
    I can highly recommend 2Q's zipper mod (http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com). The price is more than reasonable and the workmanship is amazing.
    So there you go; TWO possible solutions re a new UQ. I have the JRB Winter Nest and have used it on both my Hennessy Exped and WBBB. Works well on a lot of gathered-end hammocks. I'd recommend the JRB Nest for 2-3 season, and the Winter Nest for colder months where you are.

Then again, a 3/4-length UQ from The Perfect Trees or Te-Wa would work as well.

So, no worries; lots of options to get it sorted.
    "The green earth, say you? That is itself a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day." -Aragorn, 'The Two Towers' by J.R.R. Tolkien

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    So Buffalo Mountain to start. When are you gonna do Carver's Gap to 19E. Much to be said for hanging over 6000 feet. Let me know if you need a partner in crime on that one after the thru hikers are thru hiking.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Of course everyone has an opinion ... for the HH Exped ... definitely get 2QZQ's zipper mod ... you'll love it. Check out the KAQ from Arrowhead Equipment for a synthetic option. I have one of the earlier versions from Mr. Prez and have had it comfortably down to below 30 with just my NF Cat's Meow Sleeping bag.

For down ... get this .. with 900 goose down ... Stormcrow's Perfect Trees is the way to go ... in my opinion. Either of these guys will do you a solid on workmanship, quality and customer service like you've never seen in the real world.

But any of the HF cottage industries you see listed here will not disappoint you.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast