WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Unless I'm working on something, when I'm at home I'm barefoot most of the time. Despite my being a 2nd generation San Diego native, I haven't forgotten my rural North Carolina roots... (Dad had 2 pairs of shoes as a kid: one for Sunday School, the other for school...)

I have RV parking at my house that's 1/2" granite, and quite pointy. I walk thorough it all the time with little discomfort.

RE: Vapor barrier: My sleeping bag should be plenty warm, but I'll give that a go if this weekend's hang doesn't work out.

Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    Try heating up arterial points.

Same idea basis as running cold water over the wrists or wrapping a cool towel around the neck when it is hot.

The water bottle between the legs warms up the blood so your extremities stay warmer. It may not be that your feet are actually under insulated, but that your body is retaining the warm blood and heat to your core because you are losing heat somewhere else.
    Not the guy to ask for Directions.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Darn kids!

I was planning on spending the night with much less insulation and a CCF pad under my legs... My Daughter, seeing me make the NEW hammock, asked if she could have the old one. I could not deny her a hammock to call her own, so it's now hers...

Then SHE asked if she could spend the night outside... Of COURSE I said yes... Then it happened: my 9 year old son asked if HE could spend the night outside.

The only downside: I only have the 1 UQ. SO, I pulled out one of my past (failed) experimental UQs, which was only a shell (I pulled out the insulation) Took a fleece blanket and wrapped it (both sides) with Insultex, Pinned the sandwich to the inside of the shell and hung it under the Daughter's hammock. Stuffed her in it, with my DIY TQ (Fleece/Insulbrite/Poly batting/1.1 nylon ripstop shell), and adjusted it up to her comfort, added the top cover and tucked her in...

My SON is in MY hammock, as snug as a bug in a rug... This kid is the human space-heater, wearing little more than a pair of shorts, he's crawling out of the sleeping bag since he's too hot. It's about 45 degrees right now... He has no hammock sock, just my Lost River UQ, Sleeping bag and a tarp.

I guess my turn will be tomorrow night... Either that, or I'm making ANOTHER hammock and hammock stand for me! -- I am certainly not complaining...

-- A proud father

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    So the boy bailed out at 11pm last night and went to his own bed.

I crawled in wearing nothing but a t-shirt and shorts. My mummy bag has a fleece footbox, and it was used as a top quilt.

The only issue I had was keeping the pad under my legs. (I ejected it sometime in the night.)

Temps got below 50. (misread my thermometer last night... gotta wear my glasses) I was plenty warm, despite the fact that I was backwards in the hammock, and slid down to the middle with my feet elevated.

This morning my feet/legs had no bottom insulation, and were cool, but not cold. I managed to rub my feet together, pull one up to warm on my leg and I was fine.

Since I had no overcover, the only real issue I had was breathing cold air left me with a slight sore throat...

Thanks to everybody who pitched in on ideas for my issues! You guys rock!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234