Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest & Burrow
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings

Trying to decide ...

Trying to decide ....
    So ... I am thinking of buying a Top Quilt to go along with my Crowsnest that I have purchased and am wondering which one to buy. I mostly hike in the late spring, summer, up to late fall but am wondering on the temp range I need.

I like the Mamba from Warbonnet outdoors. Should I buy the winter Mamba or just the regular? would the winter one be to hot in milder temps? Or since I am a cold sleeper would it be just fine. Having the winter one would take me into colder temps but am just wondering if it would be to much for Michigan's weather in the spring and summer. Some night temps even in the summer can get down to the high 30's.... Just throwing that out there.

Other options are:

Is there more choices out there? ... or am I just over thinking it ....
    Questtrek
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks". John Muir.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I don't know what your existing sleeping insulation is, so this may not work. You can approximate a TQ by unzipping a sleeping bag and using that. The amount of loft in a sleeping bag single layer (unzipped) will give you a guide to the TQ thickness (aka loft) that you want. The conventional wisdom is that if your UQ is sufficient, you can get by with a bit less topside insulation.

If you don't have a sleeping bag, then borrowing one might be easier than finding a TQ to borrow.

Quote Originally Posted by questtrek View Post
    Trying to decide ....
    So ... I am thinking of buying a Top Quilt to go along with my Crowsnest that I have purchased and am wondering which one to buy. I mostly hike in the late spring, summer, up to late fall but am wondering on the temp range I need.

I like the Mamba from Warbonnet outdoors. Should I buy the winter Mamba or just the regular? would the winter one be to hot in milder temps? Or since I am a cold sleeper would it be just fine. Having the winter one would take me into colder temps but am just wondering if it would be to much for Michigan's weather in the spring and summer. Some night temps even in the summer can get down to the high 30's.... Just throwing that out there.

Other options are:

Is there more choices out there? ... or am I just over thinking it ....
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    HH UExpl; WBBB; JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    CCS; HH Hex; WB Su
    Insulation
    MW-3, Sierra Sniv
    Suspension
    Woopie, Dutch Clip
    I can't comment on the other manufacturers you have listed, but I understand they all make excellent products. My only over-quilt is the JRB Sierra Sniveller. Although it is a "three season" I have used it to -4°F with a supplemental Sea to Summit Reactor bag liner and moderate clothing. It easily goes into the mid to high 20's without any other precautions or additions. I really appreciate the extra width at the top which keeps the sides tucked in nicely. You won't have any problems in the conditions you describe.

I can't wait until they come out with the winter version (? High Sierra Sniveller) for next year.
    Not all who wander are lost.

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    i'd have golite's +20 on your shortlist...

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    I dont know which is lightest as the burrow is not listed in regards to weight. I have tried a no sniv. I would guess that the burrow has more fluff from what i've seen. Don't know though, haven't tried burrow or ahe.

Hammock
    wwbb 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    wb adj.webbing
    I have a burrow and Love it. Mine little too warm in temps of mid 40s but Adam at Perfect Trees will work with you to customize your burrow to fit your needs. Send him an Email and tell him what you are looking for.
    I use a 3 season Yeti by Warbonnet and love it too though I wish I had gotten a full length UQ.

• + New Posts