Images

Potomac underquilt storage

I've been considering buying or making a Potomac underquilt, but am wondering about storage options for use on a thru hike. Would it be feasible to make some snakeskins to accommodate the extra bulk? I was thinking that it may be best to use a big blackbishop sack to store my HH and underquilt, and then shove that bulky bundle into the bottom of my pack to be compressed by other items. That way the amount of compression could vary depending on space needed by the other things in the pack, and I could probably retain more loft (sort of like what Ray Jardin suggests for storing his synthetic quilt).

I have absolutely no experience as yet with any hammock storage options other than the Hennessy included very-tight-squeeze stuff sack, and I don't have any type of underquilt. I would love to see some words of experience here, because there are probably tons of ideas I haven't thought of.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I think you've got a really good idea there. A normal sized blackbishop sack holds my hammock, bug bivvy, and my Potomac underquilt (and my summer weight synthetic overquilt, but that's a tight fit). I'll replace the bug bivvy with a hammock sock in the winter. I think I may also make another synthetic winter top quilt out of Climashield that's a little less bulky than my super-duper-warm upgraded Ray-Way.

Of course, there are those handier at DIY or richer than I am who swear by the down quilts for compressibility and comfort, so ymmv as usual...

I don't know if you can make snakeskins that have all of that functionality.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    You could easily use the stuff sack that comes with the Potomac for your hammock as well as the quilt. Or, ask BlackBishop to make the stuff sack in the BishopBag style when he makes it. That would be the easiest way.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I've started using one's similar to these. http://www.outdoorresearch.com/home/...stuffsacks/HED

The beauty is that you can buy a larger bag and if you don't use/need the space on that particular trip you can simply continue rolling it down until it's tight. (Unlike drawstring bags) You can stuff it just like Blackbishop's bag....it's just that it's not attached to the hammock per se. I don't really see where there is much advantage having the bag attached to the hammock....stuffing it is exactly the same. I undo one end...begin stuffing as I work my way to the other end. The hammock never touches the ground. In fact the hole in Blackbishop's bag where it slides over your straps is just someplace for water to enter. When I stuff my bag, it's waterproof....period. I bought a smaller one for my tarp when it's wet. Since it's also waterproof....I simply bag it seperately and then put the smaller bag inside the larger bag.

BTW....I saw a one piece hammock sock made by Byer the other day at Campmor. It appeared long enough to easily cover both the hammock and straps. I didn't measure it but it appeared to be close to twenty feet long. I believe it sold for $21.95 I was tempted but I really like my sylnylon bags.

Miguel

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    You could make larger skins to encompass both the hammock and under quilt. I have some large skins that work with my HH and my JRB quilts.

I will admit, that for a hammock, the BB sack is really the way to go. The added storage is great. I have been thinking about adding a NoSeeUm sack to the other end of my hammock just for gear storage.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts