Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG incubators and

Help choosing a Ridgerunner

I have been toying around with the idea of getting a bridge hammock for awhile, and as luck would have it, I need to replace my wife's chameleon because it wore out.

So I am looking for some help in deciding which options are best for me. The only reason I haven't got one previously is the weight was/is a big negative for me. I also have considerable amounts of money into HG palace tarps and various temps quilts for my wife and me, so a conversion to a bridge would be somewhat starting over.

Will our 11' HG palaces work adequately? Should I just move on from Dyneema tarps and go with a 13' warbonnet because of damage to the Dyneema?

I would normally gravitate to the 30d single layer with a bugnet because of the weight difference, but are there advantages to the 40d? I am interested in using a pad to keep a flater lay, does the double layer help significantly with a pad or is it mainly for weight limit (I am175lbs) does using a pad in a single layer have a higher center or gravity vs the double layer?

Sorry for all the questions, but if I am starting over I would like to make an educated decision. Also, I will likely ended up buying two full set-ups if we both decide the weight is worth the comfort.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    BillCole, I have used both GE and RR and my adventure partner loves her (my) RR. For a long time we used an 11ft Superfly (or 11 ft HH Hex) with the RR. Though the pullouts were not placed at the spreader bar location (as they are with a 13 ft Superfly) there was no rubbing to be concerned about. I used rubber “bumpers” (ArrowHead) on the metal hardware and was careful to stake the tarp out wide. Because it was only 11 ft, a part of the RR suspension would stick out and keep the doors from completely closing at the top. But most the time we’d have the ends, or at least one end, open anyway. And even if it rained. very little rain would pass though what little opening there was, and the body of the hammock is some distance further away yet. We never had a “drip down” problem from water running down the suspension but we endeavor to adventure is good weather as we usually kayak to a destination. Also, we frankly don’t get out as much as we’d like using the RR/Superfly combination about 5 times a year is not going to cause any “wear”. All that said, I finally got her her own official 13 ft Superfly.

I realize it is unfair of me to not worry about weight because most gear is inside a boat. But I do use both RR and GE’s at home and I can say that the small extra weight of the RR would not stop me from any hiking trip. But I am old (old, old old) school and an extra pound would not stop any hike or ground expedition I’d undertake.

What I do have to pay attention to is the tree spacing requirement. The trees have to be further apart with the RR. But wait, there’s more. We’ve seen that nature like to play this little trick where she gives you two well spaced sturdy tress - then puts a spoiler off to the side between them that will interfer with your tarp. So the pool of “trees that work” is smaller with the RR. For that reason, when we go out, I take a GE and let her use the RR.

At your body weight, you could use any fabric and layer option. Sure, a DL will be a little stiffer. And a pad in a DL could be stiffer yet. But though I can feel the difference between SL and DL (I use a Lynx UQ) they are both good - like two flavors of ice cream; different, but both good.

Perhaps someone who uses a pad can contribute more to that question.

So from your “starting over” concerns - No, you don’t have to. Just guy out your tarps a little wider, - our’s are usually in porch mode anyway. After a few times you’ll know if you want a 13 ft tarp or not. There are youtube videos showing rigging a GE UQ to the RR. A DL makes it easier to use a pad if you go that route.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Billcole View Post
    I am interested in using a pad to keep a flater lay, does the double layer help significantly with a pad or is it mainly for weight limit (I am175lbs) does using a pad in a single layer have a higher center or gravity vs the double layer?
    If you're certain you want to use a pad, then the double layer is MUCH easier to work with. My wife has a double layer RR, which she admittedly doesn't use much, but when she does, she uses a pad. Trying to lie directly on a pad, even in a bridge hammock, is a pain. It's much, much easier to slide it in between the layers. I've got a single layer bridge (not a RR) and trying to use a full length pad is still a wrestling match, so much so that I prefer an underquilt on mine.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG incubators and
    I ended up ordering a double layer, 30d in blue. Went with the 30d because it was almost 5 ounces lighter. I emailed them and this was going to be their last run of 30d and they are moving to all 40d dream tex. For now I am going to try one of my full length GE underquilts and probably buy a warmer pad to try because I have been wanting one for tent camping.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I wouldn't worry about the weight as the comfort will more than make up the energy needed to carry the added weight.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Dyneema, Silpoly
    Insulation
    HGear, Zpck,WB, EE
    Suspension
    Straps
    Bill, congrats on the new Ridgerunner. Have you decided on a tarp yet?

I recently purchased a RR but haven't bought a 13 footer yet. I was planning on getting a Minifly but they are still limited with fabric choices.
    John

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG incubators and
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmac55 View Post
    Bill, congrats on the new Ridgerunner. Have you decided on a tarp yet?

I recently purchased a RR but haven't bought a 13 footer yet. I was planning on getting a Minifly but they are still limited with fabric choices.
    Right now I am going to stay with my HG Palace and spreading it wide and high. If I like the Ridgerunner that much I will order a customer Thunderfly or Minifly in 13' 20d silpoly and a underquilt.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Single
    Tarp
    BMJ silpoly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 5 deg
    Suspension
    Woopies
    What to you mean wore out? Just curious.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Billcole View Post
    Right now I am going to stay with my HG Palace and spreading it wide and high. If I like the Ridgerunner that much I will order a customer Thunderfly or Minifly in 13' 20d silpoly and a underquilt.
    Why a 13'. The 11' covers the RR just fine.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG incubators and
    Quote Originally Posted by Four-O View Post
    What to you mean wore out? Just curious.
    Started to get small holes around the gathered end.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast