WBBB 1.1 Dbl; Nano 7
    Tarp
    Flat 8x10
    Insulation
    Yeti; CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

DIY Jumbo sunshield Insulation Issues

OK, Noob here. This weekend I made a very cool bottom insulation for my HH UL Backpacker from a jumbo size sunshield. It looks very much like a couple that I've seen here on the HF and by all visual appearances it should have worked like a charm. It's 40 inches wide at the shoulders and hips and then drops to 28 inches from the thighs down and it's around 58 inches long. I think that it didn't work out for me because I probably used it completely wrong. I slept right on top of it (nothing except the sleeping bag between me and the "shield". It was not warm at all and eventually I felt dampness and was totally uncomfortable, achy and cold. Ultimately, I cried Uncle and went into the house around 3:30 AM and crawled into my warm bed. Finally, last night I decided to spend the bucks and ordered the HH Supershelter. What went wrong??? Should I have suspended the shield on the outside or should I have put something between me and the shield besides just the sleeping bag?

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    I use a sunshield for anything below 40 degrees, and what I do is put it between my 2 layer hammock, and use a DIY UQ made from a Walmart sleeping bag under the hammock.
    I've never had any condensation issues, but all bodies are different, and can cause the material to act different with your body heat. Best advise I can give you is, keep playing with it.
    Don't let up until you hear cartilage snap, or they crap in their pants. Sal Bandini

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl; Nano 7
    Tarp
    Flat 8x10
    Insulation
    Yeti; CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Sounds to me like I should not have slept right on top of it but since I don't have a double bottom hammock it wasn't an option. Now, maybe if I were to have wrapped it in a blanket or glued some fleece to it or something it might have worked. Probably will never know though since I quickly gave up and ordered the supershelter. It doesn't mean that I'm done with the DIY thing because I'm totally into making gear myself if possible. So....more posts to follow as I learn more and more about camping with a hammock. Thanks for your input! Every bit counts.

• + New Posts