Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28
  1. #21
    OneClick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    IN
    Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Posts
    12,714
    Images
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    Start with a very small amount- you can always add more but rinsing out detergent that you used too much of is much harder. I like Atsko Sport Wash for washing gear.
    Good advice, I'll do that. Out of curiosity, I dumped a 1.5gal bucket into my washer before a load last night. Didn't even put a dent in it. Now I realize where most of my water bill is generated.

  2. #22
    LowTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Nomadic, US SW at moment
    Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    20° SLD UQ/UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/ BB's
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Good advice, I'll do that. Out of curiosity, I dumped a 1.5gal bucket into my washer before a load last night. Didn't even put a dent in it. Now I realize where most of my water bill is generated.
    I've set up a verity of greywater systems for people and if the washing machine is separate from the rest I still usually need to have around a 100 gal capacity if they only do a couple loads at a time.
    Sometimes the washing machine far out weights any other greywater source including showers and sinks combined.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    North Carolina
    Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    MyersTech Evo Loop
    Posts
    50
    I did it in my bathtub with Nikwax Down Wash. I used just enough water to cover the quilt when submerging it by hand. I used the cap to measure the detergent - I think instructions call for 3 oz for every 3-4 gallons of water with a manual wash. I also agree that “less is more”. I agitated it by hand, let it soak for 20 mins. I then rinsed it thoroughly in the tub and transferred it to my washing machine for rinse and low spin cycles (twice). Then dried it on low heat with felt balls. Drying took multiple cycles where I took it out and broke up the wet down clusters by hand before starting the next cycle. It came out great with lots of loft. I do have side load machines FWIW.

  4. #24
    OneClick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    IN
    Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Posts
    12,714
    Images
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    I did it in my bathtub with Nikwax Down Wash. I used just enough water to cover the quilt when submerging it by hand. I used the cap to measure the detergent - I think instructions call for 3 oz for every 3-4 gallons of water with a manual wash. I also agree that “less is more”. I agitated it by hand, let it soak for 20 mins. I then rinsed it thoroughly in the tub and transferred it to my washing machine for rinse and low spin cycles (twice). Then dried it on low heat with felt balls. Drying took multiple cycles where I took it out and broke up the wet down clusters by hand before starting the next cycle. It came out great with lots of loft. I do have side load machines FWIW.
    When they say break up clumps, do you just sort of slap it flat? Or literally pull it apart?

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    North Carolina
    Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    MyersTech Evo Loop
    Posts
    50
    The wet down clumps together at the ends of the baffles - pushed there by gravity & the dryer tumbler. I just massaged the outer nylon shell with my hands to break them apart. The felt balls or tennis balls help, but the first few dyer cycles on low heat result in a lot of clumping.

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Rochester NY
    Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 2.4/Dutch pup tent
    Tarp
    RSBTR HEX12 DIY
    Insulation
    HG 0*/40*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Posts
    86
    i also throw 3 tennis balls in the dryer to help distribute the down

  7. #27
    OneClick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    IN
    Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Posts
    12,714
    Images
    20
    I finally did this last night with one top quilt. All I can say is, the other quilts (heavier ones) will be no fun. Not that this one was.

    Fantastic results though!!

    I mixed 1oz detergent in tub with warm water. I kept pressing the quilt under water to work in soap. I let it sit for 10 minutes then agitated it lightly for for a few minutes. Drain tub, press out water, repeat with clean water twice.

    The spin cycle on the washing machine really threw out the water. In the dryer, I think I went through three 40-minute cycles until it was mostly dry. There were still a lot of clumps but they were no longer soaking wet. I always use 5 wool drying balls for laundry so I left those in. I also kept a dry bath towel in the whole time to soak up moisture. I find that only one garment in a dryer is very inefficient, regardless of the tennis balls.

    I let it sit on the floor overnight. In the morning I checked the down and everything was dry and distributed. I put it back in the dryer for a few minutes just to fluff up some more.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Watkinsville, GA
    Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    Posts
    492
    Quote Originally Posted by gfd131 View Post
    i also throw 3 tennis balls in the dryer to help distribute the down
    They work very very well for me.

  • + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

    Similar Threads

    1. Washing Top Quilt
      By quentello in forum Top Insulation
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 04-02-2017, 12:55
    2. washing down
      By wanderlust in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 05-05-2014, 16:31
    3. down washing
      By yooz85 in forum Top Insulation
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 04-01-2013, 21:03
    4. Washing down
      By nthAirguy in forum Top Insulation
      Replies: 22
      Last Post: 09-19-2011, 16:17
    5. Washing an ENO
      By Big Jim Mac in forum Eagles Nest Hammocks
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 09-03-2010, 20:12

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •