Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Made time for a sub 24 hour hang on Friday night at the Northern end of the Uwharrie trail. I hardly ever go up this far for a hang but wanted something different. Had alot going on Friday, so my tent camping buddy and I didn't even hit the trail til dark. We hiked in a mile or so, just enough to get good and away from the parking lot, and found that we had a hard time finding a flat spot (I was secretly laughing at the tenter). We ended up just going up the side of the hill a good ways, and setting up on a semi flat spot. I sat up right on the side of the mountain and was perfectly comfortable. He was slipping and sliding all night. We got up around 7am and headed home for the night. No major events to report.

I know this isn't a very exciting report, I just had to post it because it was just one of those nights that don't happen very often. It was a crappy day, I was po'ed because there were so many obstacles getting there, and it didn't look like it was going to happen. But, once we finally got there and got setup, it was one of those trips where everything was just perfect. Perfect food, conversation, and weather.

It was a short trip that reminded me why I spend so much time learning about hammocks and the outdoors in general. There are no words to describe the feeling of waking up at 3 am to a moon so bright you could almost read to it. It was about 55 degrees and felt so refreshing and peaceful that it almost made my insides tickle. It completely reset my 200 mile an hour brain for another small amount of time until I can get back out there.

As soon as I hit the trail to go home, I was already planning another.

A few pics to come.
    Last edited by eflat7; 04-05-2010 at 14:04. Reason: OOPS

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks for that. It's easy to get snowed under with gear and planning and "stuff" and forget what it's all about.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL UQ
    Did you go south on the Uwharrie Trail up Dark Mtn or north on the old trail? The "campsites" in the saddle between the two peaks of Dark Mtn are awesome. You can see lights for miles during winter nights.

Now that you've camped there read Mr. Joe Moffitt's ghost stories about Dark Mtn. There were lots of executions there during the Civil War. Great campfire stories!

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I love S24O trips! Your story reminded me that I need to do this again soon. Thanks for the boost.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post
    Did you go south on the Uwharrie Trail up Dark Mtn or north on the old trail? The "campsites" in the saddle between the two peaks of Dark Mtn are awesome. You can see lights for miles during winter nights.

Now that you've camped there read Mr. Joe Moffitt's ghost stories about Dark Mtn. There were lots of executions there during the Civil War. Great campfire stories!
    I went south up Dark mountain! Gulp. I have heard stories about Dark Mountain. If would have known thats where I was camping I wwould have thought twice.

It was nice though. Didn't hear a peep or see any ghosts. Beautiful area.

• + New Posts