Question Tarp For HH Explorer?

Hey,

Can anyone recommend a tarp for the HH Explorer Ultralight A-Sym? I asked Pan of Jacks' fame about his tarp, and surprisingly he talked me out of buying his tarp. His rationale was that my hammock is too long for their 8X8 (which is not really 8X8). He reccommended a 8'10"X8'10" tarp. I have been unable to find one. I would really like to stick with two stakes in the ground. What has anyone else used? I guess this is really an academic question as I have not even tried the stock tarp in the rain yet. I may get my chance tonight. Anyway, any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    All the cottage gear folks that I've dealt with are quality people - getting the right fit for their gear is more important than making a sale.

There are a few 9x9 tarps out there - the Kelty Noah from www.campmor.com and the Gear Guide from www.sportsmansguide.com. They're a bit heavier, though. You can spend the extra ounces on two more stakes for different shape or on a tarp like these from heavier material.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images

Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Hey,

Can anyone recommend a tarp for the HH Explorer Ultralight A-Sym? I asked Pan of Jacks' fame about his tarp, and surprisingly he talked me out of buying his tarp. His rationale was that my hammock is too long for their 8X8 (which is not really 8X8). He reccommended a 8'10"X8'10" tarp. I have been unable to find one. I would really like to stick with two stakes in the ground. What has anyone else used? I guess this is really an academic question as I have not even tried the stock tarp in the rain yet. I may get my chance tonight. Anyway, any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    Dreamer,

A simple 8x10 tarp, available everywhere in silnyl for 13-15 oz and $80-130 is what I recommend in the unavailability of a Mac Cat while Brian is off in school....

Note... if you chose to use it on an asym (diagonal) it is huge and can be done with just two stakes...although in stormy weather you may prefer some extra stakes.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I'm using a 9x9 camo "Neo" tarp (the Sportsman's Guide tarp Jeff listed above, which they need to rename the "Neo" tarp) with my Explorer Deluxe. It's not the lightest out there, but provides plenty of coverage. Lots of tie-out attachment loops on this tarp make it pretty configurable as well. Just takes 2 stakes. It's working well for me, and was an inexpensive purchase.

I'm sure Neo can tell you more about it (he has two -- the 9x9 and the larger version).

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Hey,

i use this tarp neo

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...r&imageuser=11

Hey,
    Thanks everyone for your input. This morning I ordered a speer hammock kit, which includes an 8X10 tarp (at least it will). I am going to try to rip one out - that might not be the best expression for this topic. I found a lot of great tarps, but I figured it was time to start making my own gear before I buy so much that I have to sell the farm (house anyway). If it goes well making a speer setup with the kit, I will try to make one without the kit for someone in my family. Anyway, thanks again.

i use one of neos camo tarps as well. a little heavier than a maccat but saved me around $70

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Dreamer, I wanted to stick with the simple two stake setup too. But I ended up going with a Maccat Deluxe. It is well worth the weight of the extra stakes!

• + New Posts