Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hang Knot

Hammock
    Modified Speer
    Tarp
    PenTarp, by OES
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Skye View Post
    I'm curious: Why abandon your SLS and toggle arrangement?

And why not use an adjustable splice instead of a hitch (surely all the reports of success have reduced your scepticism)?
    Albert;
    I don't see it as abandonment, but rather evolution. I often feel kinda' cheated when somebody just adopts the way I've done something. I want to see improvements on it. As far as adjustable splices are concerned, I don't doubt their appropriateness in a great many situations. But I don't see how they bring me closer to my goals. I'm really striving for simplicity, light weight, and field repairability. Interchangeability means one spare can back up several parts serving different functions. Besides, not to put too fine a point on it, I'm cheap.
    bob

Hammock
    DIY (&c.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    I'm really striving for simplicity, light weight, and field repairability.
    Same here, but apparently from a different perspective. Versatility is also essential to me (and I think you said that in different words).

e.g., I prefer toggles (rather than rings), a contiguous suspension line, Albright hitch (rather than whipping), &c. (I'll post a description of the whole system eventually).

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    "Keep It Simple, Stupid" has been a goal when assembling my camping kit for as long as I can remember. Lately, I've been trying to simplify and lighten my suspension system while keeping it reliable, quick and easy to set up with numb fingers on a dark and stormy night, equally easy to take down and stow away, and flexible enough to allow straightforward repairs or replacements in the field if a part becomes damaged or lost.
    What you're doing is similar (not the same, just similar) to how I "used to" hang my hammock. We're using the same rope, 7/64 amsteel. During warm weather I didn't mind so much that my knot was hard to untie. Or that I had to only tie half of it and go tie the other side and then come back and untie and retie to adjust my hammock to where I wanted it. I was fine with doing that. My problem came, just like you said, "numb fingers on a dark and stormy night". Well..... I learned how to make my own whoopie slings. NO KNOTS!! And cheap, you can use the rope you've already got. My friend had the turner thingy (bought it at JoAnn's fabric for $4) It's not like the real turner thingy but it's about 12" long with a catch thing at the end, it'll work for what you want it to do. And did I mention.... NO KNOTS!!! I'm trying to think up other places to use these things. ummm thinking here....

You could try just on one end, placing a whoopie sling. Then you'd only be tieing a knot on one end and you could adjust from the whoopie side.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    Modified Speer
    Tarp
    PenTarp, by OES
    Images
    TinaLouise,
    It sounds like you've got it all worked out just the way you like it, and that's great! I've been following the discussions about whoopie slings, and other applications of the constricting capability of braided line, and gave thought to making greater use of the principle, but eventually decided that except for eye splices it wasn't my cup of tea. We all have our individual hang-ups (pun intended) and one of mine is being able to restore a broken arrangement in the field and have it work just like it did before. Another is a lifetime fascination with knots, a fascination that dates to before the widespread use of synthetic, braided line. For me, a knot is a come-on, not a put-off.
    It would be handy, and interesting, if someone made a study of suspension systems and posted a comprehensive classification of them and all of their minor variations. In the meantime, for the time being anyway, I'll stick with a hugger at one end, a ring at the other, and a length of rope (with an optional eye-splice at one end.) KISS is not an option for me--it's that or paralysis.
    bob

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It would be handy, and interesting, if someone made a study of suspension systems and posted a comprehensive classification of them and all of their minor variations.
    Our very own Grizz has done just that:

A Brief Primer on Hammock Suspension, Part 1 : Webbing

A Brief Primer on Hammock Suspension Part II : Cord

A Brief Primer on Hammock Suspension Part II (continued)

A Brief Primer on Hammock Suspension Part III : Constriction

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    For me, a knot is a come-on, not a put-off.
    :

I totally agree!!! I'm the "knot" teacher for my boy scout troop!!! Not only do I teach the "usual" boy scout knots but also a lot of hitches ect. Plus I teach things like the usual bowline and then show the slip bowline or a one handed bowline!!

The whoopie slings just blew me completely out of the water at how simple they are!!! Plus I enjoyed learning how to make them. That, at least for me, sort of negates the whole "I've got to tie a knot" thing that I had going on.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    .... I'm really striving for simplicity, light weight, and field repairability. ...
    Interesting - I have the same goals and added one: full use of the rope strength or as close as possible.

For me, splicing is far easier and simpler than tying knots. I can splice the single braid in the field easily using a needle I picked up at JoAnne's and blunted for the purpose.

I love knots. But I also know that I can spend months practicing a knot until I can do it blind-folded. And then 6 months later, when I haven't been dedicated enough to practice the knot daily, I struggle to remember if I now go over or under ? Does it circle around to the left or to the right this time? Which way do the loops go on the clove hitch? And that is for fairly simple knots, I stand no chance at all on complicated ones.

I kid you knot, I struggled to remember the Marlin Spike Hitch after 2 months off tying it. It took me 2 or 3 tries to get the muscles back into the grove of doing it. It doesn't get much simpler than the Marlin Spike Hitch. A flip of the hand and slip the toggle in.

I swear I would forget how to tie my shoelaces except for the fact that I am forced to do that 3 or 4 times every day. I've got some of those new Nite Ize knot bones on order for holding shoe laces tied. I figure after using them for 6 months I'm going to have to have my significant other tie my shoe laces when needed

I think my biggest problem with Knots (other than my memory) has always been the degradation of rope strength. It bothers me to pay a premium for the highest strength stuff I can get and then have to settle for 50% (or less ) of the rated strength because of the knots. I feel a lot more comfortable using the spliced 2 mm Dynaglide for a suspension than I would using the same rope with knots. In fact, I doubt I would even consider using a Dynaglide suspension with knots.

So it seems we have the same goals, but differing interpretations thereof.

But that what makes it so very interesting.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    Modified Speer
    Tarp
    PenTarp, by OES
    Images
    Jerry;
    I'm well aware of Grizz's fine videos. They are very good at introducing the newcomer and providing visual how-to instruction. What I had in mind would be more of a reference document that would consider each portion of a suspension, such as hammock termination, tree attachment, adjustment arrangement, and so on, and present the various alternatives that have been found effective, and their respective advantages and disadvantages. What are the pros and cons of the various kinds of strapping used for tree huggers? ...the various ways of arranging sewn-in loops for them? ...the pros and cons of various ways of attaching hang-rope to the huggers.....and so on down to the hammock itself. It would be a big undertaking, and quite possibly not worth the effort, but if well done could be a big help to someone who is beyond the beginner stage and wanting to tailor an existing setup more to their liking, a resource for gram weenies wanting to milk the last microgram out of their setup as well as for the cargo canoe paddler wanting every possible comfort and convenience....and everybody in between. Any PhysEd PhD candidates out there looking for a dissertation topic?
    bob

Hammock
    Modified Speer
    Tarp
    PenTarp, by OES
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    ..... I figure after using them for 6 months I'm going to have to have my significant other tie my shoe laces when needed .....
    I hear ya, TeeDee!!! From our house, from the bedroom "Where in the (dickens) did I leave my jeans?" From somewhere near the coffee maker "Try looking on the floor on your own side of the bed."
    bob

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    I love knots. But I also know that I can spend months practicing a knot until I can do it blind-folded. And then 6 months later, when I haven't been dedicated enough to practice the knot daily, I struggle to remember if I now go over or under ? Does it circle around to the left or to the right this time? Which way do the loops go on the clove hitch? And that is for fairly simple knots, I stand no chance at all on complicated ones.

I kid you knot, I struggled to remember the Marlin Spike Hitch after 2 months off tying it. It took me 2 or 3 tries to get the muscles back into the grove of doing it. It doesn't get much simpler than the Marlin Spike Hitch. A flip of the hand and slip the toggle in.

I swear I would forget how to tie my shoelaces except for the fact that I am forced to do that 3 or 4 times every day. I've got some of those new Nite Ize knot bones on order for holding shoe laces tied. I figure after using them for 6 months I'm going to have to have my significant other tie my shoe laces when needed
    Glad it's not just me. When I was a kid I could learn new knots and they'd remain burned into my memory. Now, despite having a shelf full of knot books to learn from, if I don't constantly tie a knot the procedure slowly fades from memory. And heck, I'm not even 50 yet!
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast