Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Sleeping Hammocks

Hello All,

My son got me into both hammocks and this forum - I am new to both. I have been a camper/hiker in the past (limited to 3 day jaunts). His involvement started with camping hammocks and has extended to draining his water-bed and converting full time to hammock sleeping.

I have been dabbling in converting over to fulltime indoor hammock sleeping. Have tried a Mayan, a couple of very different Brazilians, a parachute and (ugh) a spreader bar. Overall I prefer the Brazilians, but like the way the Mayan expands to fit whichever way I want to lie, while the Brazilians tend to "cocoon" me. I have heard the Nicamaka (Nicaraguan) combines the best of both the Mayan and Brazilian but haven't tried one yet.

I am interested in hearing from others who are sleeping full time in hammocks and what they prefer and why.

Images
    what don't you like about the mayan?

what do you like about the brazillian? isn't that the one that's fabric rather than mesh-like?

as far as mayans go, there are many different price ranges, and you get what you pay for. i've got one that supposedly costs about $100 (in mexico).retails for 165 in colorado. the strings are much smaller and there are many more of them, and the holes that make up the mesh are much smaller as well. i've seen some with big fat string and huge mesh holes. this supposedly makes a big difference.

also, a good mayan should be plenty wide enough to lay completely perpendicular in, with width leftover.

don't sleep in one full time, (only because of my fiancee though). have not tried a brazillian or a nicaraguan. doesn't seem like many here use south/central american hammocks though. But i do love my mayan.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
    Hello All,

My son got me into both hammocks and this forum - I am new to both. I have been a camper/hiker in the past (limited to 3 day jaunts). His involvement started with camping hammocks and has extended to draining his water-bed and converting full time to hammock sleeping.

I have been dabbling in converting over to fulltime indoor hammock sleeping. Have tried a Mayan, a couple of very different Brazilians, a parachute and (ugh) a spreader bar. Overall I prefer the Brazilians, but like the way the Mayan expands to fit whichever way I want to lie, while the Brazilians tend to "cocoon" me. I have heard the Nicamaka (Nicaraguan) combines the best of both the Mayan and Brazilian but haven't tried one yet.

I am interested in hearing from others who are sleeping full time in hammocks and what they prefer and why.

Images
    I paid about $90 for the Mayan, $90+ for one of the Brazilian and $122 for the other.

The Mayan I bought is supposably high end, measures 7'6"L by 7'8"W. Expanded, the weave is no bigger than 1/2 inch diamonds and the cotton cords/strings are a little smaller than dress shoelaces. It is cotton and soft, but I can feel the weave even through a insulating fleece blanket. However, it does allow me to sleep in whatever position I want and I can see through the weave to watch TV if I want (set up in the living room). It offers no insulation itself, which isn't a problem in Texas but I hope to move to the Pacific NW. It is harder to get into (flipped me out the first time until I got the sag right), but much easier to get out of. What I don't like is that it is not likely to hold up well and I can feel the strings.

The Brazilians are far more durable, much warmer, very tight weave - but because the weave is tigher, they are harder to lie in diagonally and wrap up around me cocooning me in a deep pocket. Easy to get into, hard to get out. Both Brazilians I have measure 8'7"L by 5'3"W but are very different in feel. They are also all cotton. Like "mummy" wrapping of newborns in a hospital. the Brazilian feels "secure". Yes, they are like a heavy weave fabric. What I like it that they are visually more appealing, far more durable, warmer, and insulating from the "World".

I would agree with you that the Mayan could be a fun snuggle time hammock, but not so sure about full time sleeper. With the Brazilian, you had better REALLY like the person you are snuggling with! I think the Nicamaka might not be quite so "intimate" and a good mix of the best features of both - but I don't known. I haven't seen or experienced one.

Yeah, I realize most posts have to do with camping hammocks but there are others like the ""Bridge" which is obviously an indoor version, and if my son could be won over so completely to ditch his water bed after experiencing camping hammocks and move to full time hammocks - I am hoping others here are also experimenting with different types. He has also tried the Mayan and doesn't like it, and is sleeping in a Brazilian at home.

One other negative on the open net Mayans are for those of us with cats like my son and myself, the Mayan is not cat friendly while the Brazilian is.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    welcome to hammocks & hammockforum wayfarer.
    i've been spending all my nights in a hammock for more than two years now.
    i'm afraid i'm not familiar w/ the types you talked about. i use a home made top loader (or speer type), but it's more narrow than most at about 50", & about 10' long.
    i also use one of two type air mats that have insulation in them.
    warmer times i use the big agnes insulated air core & colder times i use the exped down air mat.
    i use them only partly inflated so they conform to the shape of my body... on my back or on my side.
    also a neck pillow & a pillow of some sorts beneath or between my knees.
    i use the same basic set up both at home or camping. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    .One other negative on the open net Mayans are for those of us with cats like my son and myself, the Mayan is not cat friendly while the Brazilian is.
    a note on being cat friendly... if i were going to have a cat (w/ claws intact) spending time in my hammock w/ me, i would use the same design i use now, just a heaver fabric.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I paid about $90 for the Mayan, $90+ for one of the Brazilian and $122 for the other.

The Mayan I bought is supposably high end, measures 7'6"L by 7'8"W. Expanded, the weave is no bigger than 1/2 inch diamonds and the cotton cords/strings are a little smaller than dress shoelaces. It is cotton and soft, but I can feel the weave even through a insulating fleece blanket. However, it does allow me to sleep in whatever position I want and I can see through the weave to watch TV if I want (set up in the living room). It offers no insulation itself, which isn't a problem in Texas but I hope to move to the Pacific NW. It is harder to get into (flipped me out the first time until I got the sag right), but much easier to get out of. What I don't like is that it is not likely to hold up well and I can feel the strings.

The Brazilians are far more durable, much warmer, very tight weave - but because the weave is tigher, they are harder to lie in diagonally and wrap up around me cocooning me in a deep pocket. Easy to get into, hard to get out. Both Brazilians I have measure 8'7"L by 5'3"W but are very different in feel. They are also all cotton. Like "mummy" wrapping of newborns in a hospital. the Brazilian feels "secure". Yes, they are like a heavy weave fabric. What I like it that they are visually more appealing, far more durable, warmer, and insulating from the "World".

I would agree with you that the Mayan could be a fun snuggle time hammock, but not so sure about full time sleeper. With the Brazilian, you had better REALLY like the person you are snuggling with! I think the Nicamaka might not be quite so "intimate" and a good mix of the best features of both - but I don't known. I haven't seen or experienced one.

Yeah, I realize most posts have to do with camping hammocks but there are others like the ""Bridge" which is obviously an indoor version, and if my son could be won over so completely to ditch his water bed after experiencing camping hammocks and move to full time hammocks - I am hoping others here are also experimenting with different types. He has also tried the Mayan and doesn't like it, and is sleeping in a Brazilian at home.

One other negative on the open net Mayans are for those of us with cats like my son and myself, the Mayan is not cat friendly while the Brazilian is.

The Bridge hammock is meant to be either an indoor or camping hammock. Look for the Jack's at www.jacksrbetter.com to release their Bear Mountain bridge hammock later this year.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    interesting, i'll have to try out both. i tried out a hammock at the local sustainable living fair, it was simply a huge piece of thick cotton fabric (like 10 x10). sounds like maybe that was a nicaraguan. it was really comfortable.

sounds like you have more of a mid grade mayan. the mesh on mine is finer than that, and the thread gets even finer on the really expensive ones, which have really tiny holes. i bet you could get one where you couldn't feel the mesh.

call mr. hammock of four season hammocks. he is who i got mine from. he may have other types (that was his booth at that fair, so he may have nicaraguan's too), but he knows alot about traditional style hammocks, and would love to talk your ear off on the subject. you're sure to get alot more usefull info on hammocks by talking to him instead of one of those big online places (like amazonas or whatever) this guy really knows his stuff. they may have a website, but they are in loveland, co and their toll free # is (877) 282 7145.

you could use snake skins to keep the cat away from the hammock when not in use.

what it comes down to though, is that different people like different styles, so you kind of just have to try them all.

Images
    Thanks all! Yeah so far each style I've tried (except the spreader bars) has its virtues.

I will check out Jack's and "Mr. Hammock" and have been reading through the bridge posts. I am going to drag out an old sewing machine and take it in for a tune-up. Have already bought a piece of "upholstery" fabric and smaller section of canvas to use to reinforce the ends, grommets and am braiding thin cotton string to use at the ends - will see how this works.

I have a (2 months short now) 16 year old Golden - he had a stroke last year and we are now approaching the end of time for him with renal failure and some cardiac - he can no longer get up or stand and I pick him up and carry him out every couple of hours when I'm home. I moved into the living room so I didn't have to carry him so far (and my back gave out). The cats are upset over the loss of sleeping with me and haven't adjusted to the hammocks yet (all have their claws - strickly indoors).

I currently have the dog on 3 inches of eggcrate covered with blankets right next to me in the hammock. My son suggested building him a hammock because his boney hips are in danger of pressure sores when I am gone to work for 12-13 hour days and he can't turn (and is incontinent). My concern is his flipping (he flopps around like a fish) out of the hammock and getting into a predicament while I am gone. Still looking for ideas on this too.

Thanks for the welcome and suggestions!

M

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I have a (2 months short now) 16 year old Golden - he had a stroke last year and we are now approaching the end of time for him with renal failure and some cardiac - he can no longer get up or stand and I pick him up and carry him out every couple of hours when I'm home. I moved into the living room so I didn't have to carry him so far (and my back gave out). The cats are upset over the loss of sleeping with me and haven't adjusted to the hammocks yet (all have their claws - strickly indoors).

I currently have the dog on 3 inches of eggcrate covered with blankets right next to me in the hammock. My son suggested building him a hammock because his boney hips are in danger of pressure sores when I am gone to work for 12-13 hour days and he can't turn (and is incontinent). My concern is his flipping (he flopps around like a fish) out of the hammock and getting into a predicament while I am gone. Still looking for ideas on this too.

Thanks for the welcome and suggestions!

M
    Sorry to hear about your dog. Sounds like you're having to deal with a lot. Good luck. (no suggestions though)

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    [QUOTE=warbonnetguy;24856]interesting, i'll have to try out both. i tried out a hammock at the local sustainable living fair, it was simply a huge piece of thick cotton fabric (like 10 x10). sounds like maybe that was a nicaraguan. it was really comfortable.

That sounds like many of the Humacas (hammocks) I've seen in Puerto Rico. We have one in our backyard and it is indeed quite comfortable. They of course have fancier versions down there but every family has a homemade cotton hammock (or three) in their backyard. My wife is from there and made ours extra long for me.

Miguel

PS What's amazing are the suspension systems....usually just a very cheap piece of rope from the local hardware store.....a granny knot and they're good to go. I've yet to see one break. A far cry from my 3500 lb Strapworks webbing.
    Last edited by Miguel; 08-08-2007 at 08:45.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast