Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    HH HLB A-Sym
    Insulation
    REI Travelsack
    Images

Obsessed about suspension systems!

Well, I don't even have, yet, my HH HLBA, and I've been thinking about suspension systems, constantly! I bought some webbing and some rings and discovered that a girth hitch often falls apart when not under tension, even with sewn in loops (which I don't have). So, here is my solution for attaching the hammock line to tree huggers - using webbing (with free ends -- no sewn loops), two rings girth hitched to each end of the webbing (so that the webbing is protected from rope rub) and then locked (via sort of a barrel hitch with the final wrap threaded through the girth hitch) and a modified HH tree hugger knot (it's more symmetrical), finished off with a chain knot to stow the loose end and provide an easy untie sequence.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mgabel_pi; 11-27-2008 at 08:47.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Just out of curiosity, with no criticism intended, why not just sew some loops in the tree webbing?
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HH HLB A-Sym
    Insulation
    REI Travelsack
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Just out of curiosity, with no criticism intended, why not just sew some loops in the tree webbing?
    None taken. Three reasons. No access to a sewing machine. Even if I did, I'd not trust the result, and, most important, at least with the webbing I bought, a girth hitch simply does not hold unless it's under tension. The hitch simply pops off. I think I bought very smooth and not very bendable webbing (from a climbing store). Thus, the rings wouldn't stay on attached to the those loops. So, I had to tie them more securely and could not simply use a girth hitch. Thus, the loops actually get in the way in this case. [I had hoped, by the way, that I could use a garda hitch to attach the hammock line to the rings, but, as I had read and then found out for myself, unless the rings are on just one piece of webbing and thus held together, one on top of the other, the garda hitch does not work.]

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgabel_pi View Post
    None taken. Three reasons. No access to a sewing machine. Even if I did, I'd not trust the result, and, most important, at least with the webbing I bought, a girth hitch simply does not hold unless it's under tension. The hitch simply pops off. I think I bought very smooth and not very bendable webbing (from a climbing store). Thus, the rings wouldn't stay on attached to the those loops. So, I had to tie them more securely and could not simply use a girth hitch. Thus, the loops actually get in the way in this case. [I had hoped, by the way, that I could use a garda hitch to attach the hammock line to the rings, but, as I had read and then found out for myself, unless the rings are on just one piece of webbing and thus held together, one on top of the other, the garda hitch does not work.]
    Is the webbing too stiff to hold a sheetbend? You could try tieing the rings on a length of cord using a prusik, then treat the two ends coming off the rings as one cord and tie to the webbing. Tie a loop in the other end of the webbing large enough to pass the rings through, and away you go!

...maybe...

Grizz

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Has anyone using the GH and rings noticed any damage to your hammock suspension lines from repeated pinching of the line? I'm wondering if this happens and if so, when does it become a potential problem.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    HH HLB A-Sym
    Insulation
    REI Travelsack
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Is the webbing too stiff to hold a sheetbend? You could try tieing the rings on a length of cord using a prusik, then treat the two ends coming off the rings as one cord and tie to the webbing. Tie a loop in the other end of the webbing large enough to pass the rings through, and away you go!

...maybe...

Grizz
    Good idea. I think that would work. I would think that the doubled cord acting as one could be sheetbended to the webbing, especially if it's a double sheetbend. I've not tried it because I just so much enjoy looking at the configuration I tried that I don't want to undo it.

Actually, though, there would be no reason to uses a prusik for the ring; one could just put the ring on a loop made with a barrel hitch. That would attach the ring "permanently" to the loop, but that would be ok.

And, your way, with BOTH rings on the loops (now I see why the prusik is a good idea), one could then use a garda hitch.

Nice.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockdawg69 View Post
    Has anyone using the GH and rings noticed any damage to your hammock suspension lines from repeated pinching of the line? I'm wondering if this happens and if so, when does it become a potential problem.
    When I started using the garda hitch I was using Vectran 12 suspension line. 12 strand weave, pretty pliable. I noticed after a bit that the cord was getting really pinched. Being concerned (without any engineering data) about the effect on the cord threads, I switched back to 3.8mm Spyderline, which has a firm core and a sheath. To have that core break would be really bad, but I've seen no evidence of that yet.

Grizz

Hammock
    HH HLB A-Sym
    Insulation
    REI Travelsack
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockdawg69 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprise at some damage.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgabel_pi View Post
    with the webbing I bought, a girth hitch simply does not hold unless it's under tension. The hitch simply pops off.
    I'm an avid climber, and use lots of climbing webbing, from thick nylon to ultra-stiff thin spectra webbing, and have never had problems with a girth hitch holding. Are you sure you're dressing the hitch well?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    To clarify - too many acronyms and I didn't identify which hitch I was referencing. I was thinking about the garda hitch. Girth hitches are usually not a problem since they are usually used on the huggers, at least in my usage.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast