Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Rings, straps, and gardahitch for hanging light

I've spent a lot of time on the forums reading about rings, buckles, and straps for hanging my Hennessy Hammock. Admittedly I've never had trouble tying the HH figure eight but I've hated untying to readjust. However I was hesistent to switch to a strap. I wanted something that worked with the spectra line. Then I started reading about Hitchcraft and the Panther Rope Cleat but didn't like the questionable weight limitations and potential for rope abrasion.

So I went out and picked up some SMC rings, Camp Nano biners, and straps. Came home and went wandering the forums again. Found a post by greggg3 about the garda hitch where he provided this great link http://www.chockstone.org/TechTips/GardaHitch.htm (original post at: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ighlight=garda)

It seemed great. I got out my hammock ran a garda hitch through the biners and just pulling it was clear how well it would hold. However the biners are 29 grams each (by my little hanging postal scale). While the SMC rings are only 11 grams each. A savings of 72 grams (2.5 oz) when using four.

So here's my idea ("mine" only if you ignore all the help from this site, which shouldn't be done!) for a really light, fast hanging option using the original spectra line on a Hennessy Hammock (or others). It requires making new tree huggers similar to slap straps that have SMC ring pairs sewn at one end. There would be a loop at the other end for the rings to pass through. There would also be other loops (as in a rock climber's daisy chain or a Slap Strap) that you could pass through instead, allowing for you to adjust for tree size. (This might not be necessary, but I've hung between some pretty close trees. Trees too wide to wrap around twice, but if I'd just looped through the end of my tree huggers I'd have not been able to tighten the hammock). After wrapping the straps as many times as needed around the tree, you would pass the rings through the best loop, tie a garda hitch into the rings, pull tight, and lie down. From what greggg3 suggests it should be easy to undo the garda hitch once you are no longer hanging in the hammock.

I've mocked up what this would look like. Imagine my super shelter bag is the tree trunk and you are looking down from above. The strap goes around the trunk and through a loop. The hammock line is then tied through the rings in a garda hitch (really easy!) and the loose end pulled tight. Test it by pulling down, and then lie down. (I think if you wrap the line the wrong way you won't be able to pull tight and get tension so you'll know you've made a mistake). After your weight is off the hammock it should be easy to pull the knot back out.

You could add a couple of half hitches for peace of mind that the line won't pull through.

Does anyone see problems with this? I'll try to find sewing time later in the week and give it a real test. I've posted an image in the gallery and will attach it here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    I think your weight savings would be negated by the extra length of webbing needed for the loops. Nice idea though.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    interesting idea & nice demonstration.
    i really don't know how it would all balance out, but looks like it wouldn't be that hard to make & test.
    just be sure to do a good job on sewing those loops so they don't pull loose.
    i hope you'll give it a try & let us know what you think. that may be an easy solution for those that aren't willing to cut the rope that came on their hh.
    and welcome to HF. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

i Made tree straps exactly like those, out of nylon tubular webbing rated for 4000+ lbs.

the sewn loops didnt hold, well, not all of them have held.

I gave up using them, when a loop snapped, it was SCARY.

I sewed a 1.5 inch long 'X' shape, and boxed it, usiing a zig zag stitch, and non cotton thread.

IM not sure how I could have made it much stronger?

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Ed Speer sews four parallel bartacks in the strap of ones he sews. Waiting on mine...

the thing I sewed is called a 'bartack right?

Im trying to envision what you are saying, you mean he makes 4 in a row down the length of the loop's overlap?

as a note, the loops that have given on mine, were NOT on the ends, but the un-used loops in the middle section of the strap around the tree or pole.

for some reason the end straps are showing no wear?

I tie the hammock rope on them with a larkshead, or simple double overhand knot, maybe that mostly loads the natural side of the loop once its tight?

Quote Originally Posted by toddhiker View Post
    Ed Speer sews four parallel bartacks in the strap of ones he sews. Waiting on mine...

Hammock
    Homemade, gathered-end
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkjeep View Post
    i Made tree straps exactly like those, out of nylon tubular webbing rated for 4000+ lbs.

I sewed a 1.5 inch long 'X' shape, and boxed it, usiing a zig zag stitch, and non cotton thread.

Length of stitch matters a lot. A 1 mm stitch length can severely weaken your webbing, while a 1.5-2 mm stitch length would affect it quite a bit less. I use a zigzag a good bit with a 2 X 2 stitch size, and I have never had a problem with anything giving out at the stitched area, IIRC.

Images
    Did you use polyester thread?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images

Do you mean like the slapstrap? If so this link has some tech info on the different ways these type of straps are sewn and why yours may have had problems.
    http://onrope1.com/GearDaisy.htm

OK,

those are different from mine, ill post some pics of one of mine here shortly.

my thread wasnt old, it was polyester, and its only the ones that arent loaded directly from the loop that broke.

Ill get some pics.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast