Hammock
    Hennessey
    Tarp
    Asym
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images

Splicing Zing-it

I got my first spool of Zing-it in the mail today and decided to try doing a continuous loop splice over lunch. I got it done, but it is much tougher than I anticipated. I tapered the line ends and buried it about 2 inches on each side. In the process I really had to fight with it and rubbed off a fair bit of the orange color. I was wondering if this is normal or if there are some further tips I need to be aware of.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    It is a bit challenging because of my big fingers and need for reading glasses. But I did not have any real problems with it, although I was using 1.75mm Lash-It.

Hammock
    DIY (&c.)
    Quote Originally Posted by schwieb View Post
    I got my first spool of Zing-it in the mail today and decided to try doing a continuous loop splice over lunch. I got it done, but it is much tougher than I anticipated. I tapered the line ends and buried it about 2 inches on each side. In the process I really had to fight with it and rubbed off a fair bit of the orange color. I was wondering if this is normal or if there are some further tips I need to be aware of.
    Polyethylene is slippery and relatively inert; so yes, coatings don't stick as well as one might expect.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Schwieb... Zing It is Yellow, other than the red. Did you order Dynaglide?

In any event, the DG is easier to open up once you break loose the vinyl coating.

When you go to splice the Zing It, you have to make sure you have just enough line in your splicing tool to hold it. To much and it doesnt want to get into the line.

Another thing... Zing It is the loosest weave of the line. The Lash It is braided much tighter and the Red Zing It is braided even tighter.

Hammock
    Hennessey
    Tarp
    Asym
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Schwieb... Zing It is Yellow, other than the red. Did you order Dynaglide?
    Opie,
    My mistake. It is technically 2.2 mm Fling-it. In any case, I have even more respect for the work you put into your ridgelines. I guess I just need more practice. It's just much harder than amsteel!

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    How the heck many kinds of this stuff ARE there?? Zing It, Lash It, Red Zing It, Fling It, Ding It, **** It! Could someone post a little guide on the different characteristics of all this stuff and where it is purchased from? Also the appropriateness/desireability of each kind for the different uses. Or is it all pretty much a wash and everyone just uses whatever they can get. Thanks for any guidance you can give to a confused old fart!!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waddy View Post
    How the heck many kinds of this stuff ARE there?? Zing It, Lash It, Red Zing It, Fling It, Ding It, **** It! Could someone post a little guide on the different characteristics of all this stuff and where it is purchased from? Also the appropriateness/desireability of each kind for the different uses. Or is it all pretty much a wash and everyone just uses whatever they can get. Thanks for any guidance you can give to a confused old fart!!
    Zing It is generally Yellow and comes in 2.2mm or 1.75mm.

The Red Zing It is a custom color that can be found at www.Sherrilltree.com.

Lash It is gray/silver and comes in 2.2mm or 1.75mm. Both made from the same fiber, just a different color coating. Both made from Dyneema.

Fling It is like a burnt orange and is made from pre stretched Spectra. This also comes in 2.2mm and 1.75mm. I did not have good luck splicing the Fling It.

Dyanglide comes in bright orange or bright green. Some sites have it listed as 1.8mm, some as 2.0mm. It is a pre stretched HMPE with a 1000 pound tensile strength. This has a vinyl coating as opposed to the Samthane coating the Lash It and Zing It have. This is also 12 strand where the other lines are 8.

You can find these line at just about any aborists supply website. Wesspur.com, Treestuff.com, sherrilltree.com, blueridgearboristsupply.com etc. Reddenmarine has about the best prices on the Lash It and Zing It line. Paul at AHE also sells it by the foot.

Treestuff.com I think has the best price on smaller quantities of DG... But if you want a 2400' spool, then I think Wesspur is the ticket.

Hammock
    Hennessey
    Tarp
    Asym
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Fling It is like a burnt orange and is made from pre stretched Spectra. This also comes in 2.2mm and 1.75mm. I did not have good luck splicing the Fling It.
    That might explain my problem!

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waddy View Post
    It can be confusing with all the names.

There are 2 sizes in question 2.2mm and 1.75mm. The 2.2mm has a strength rating of 600 pounds, the 1.75mm 400 pounds.

As for the names, Zing-It is yellow, Lash-It is grey (or red depending on where you get it from). Fling-It is orange.

Zing-It and Lash-It are single braid dyneema fiber and Fling-It is a single braid spectra fiber and is a little stronger at 450# and 650# for the 1.75mm and 2.2mm respectively.

Clear as mud, yet?

Their most common uses are for tarp ridge lines (2.2mm), tarp guy lines (1.75mm). I made an adjustable hammock structural ridge line from 2.2 Zing-It configured as a whoopie sling. Uses are limited to your imagination. The great thing about these cords is they are light weight, don't stretch, float and can be spliced readily for no knot configurations.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    A million thanks Brian and Opie!! I'm still trying to come up to speed on all this great new stuff (at least new to me), and your clear and concise explanations help a lot. Thanks again.

Let me see, if I'm picking my nose and get a hanger, do I Fling It or Zing It? More research needed!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast