Flying and hiking Q's

We are flying to Portland OR this fall to hike the timberline trail. We are renting a car and staying the first night in a hotel, What are our best options for getting the supplies we need that you can't fly with, like lighters, stove fuel?

I don't really want to rely on being able to find things last minute after we arrive. Is mailing items to the hotel in advance a good idea?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Lighter you can carry onboard...at least last time I flew you could.
    No fuel...you will need to mail it or get on the other end.
    But easy enough to go to a camp store or the likes and get that stuff.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Yeah something like a Bic lighter is OK carry on. Check luggage for any kind of pocket knife. Other than fuel I think that's it.

Li-ion isn't really a concern since those in a headlamp or external battery charger will be well under the limit.

I bet canister fuel is a lot easier to find out there in a store. Not that it's very hard, but some places skimp on the selection or low stock.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Flying and hiking Q's

I’d just get them at a store after you land. Easy enough. You’ll pass by a Walmart or Fred Meyers on the way out of town to Mt Hood. I was able to get fuel and other items there. There are also some outdoor stores in Sandy.

Edit to add if you go to Walmart or Free Meyers you could save time by shopping online and just picking up in the store

Edit2: If you really want to ship see where they accept hiker boxes. You’ll be on the PCT for a portion of this.
    Last edited by TallPaul; 06-29-2021 at 13:57.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    If there's an REI nearby, I've had good luck calling them to buy the fuel cannisters and set aside for pick up.

EDIT: Also, are you checking your pack and gear as luggage or carry on? I wasn't too keen on sending my pack through as luggage so I put it and the majority of my gear into a hard side large suitcase (kept the weight under 50 lbs). The electronics, battery packs and clothes I brought as carry on. Trekking poles and stakes are dicey as carry on, so I packed them in the suitcase.
    Last edited by FLTurtle; 06-29-2021 at 13:47.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    When I did camping on the west coast (I live on the east) I shipped my pack with hammock and all packed into it directly to the hotel after I got their okay to do so. Then I will also ship everything back home after my trip(s) were done.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Images
    Portland has a large REI store downtown. They carry whatever fuel or last minute goodies you need. Usually open 9 to 9.

You could instead mail a supply box to the Timberline Lodge for a $10 holding fee, but in your situation that seems overkill. Just stop at REI. (and USPS will not ship batteries or stove fuel either).

I don't think the Lodge sells any hiking supplies directly, so don't plan on that.

There are some very last-minute opportunities for shopping and outfitters that cater more to the hiker / skier crowds in Government Camp and Sandy on the way to Mt Hood.

Enjoy your trip! You'll love it.

Thanks for all the info,

Sounds like its a safe enough bet to be able to buy canister fuel. I like the idea of purchasing ahead of time and picking up.

Seems like I'll be using a canister stove for the trip. I had thoughts of taking the whisperlite, but seems I'd have to mail the empty bottle both ways.

@FLTurtle,

I think we are planning to put the packs in a duffle bag, not fully sure yet. My wife has done some research on the best method but I dont recall what her plan was. My last flight was to Japan, and I used my Catalyst as my luggage lol. Worked out fine, although I'm sure its not the best for the packs.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by binfordw View Post
    Worked out fine, although I'm sure its not the best for the packs.
    It's fine.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    A duffle would be better than nothing. My concern would be with baggage conveyors and the pack straps possibly getting caught or snagged.

One thing I did notice though, when we did the Alaska trip (into bear country) we also packed hand guns. We had a whole separate process for check in and picking up. Pretty sure we didn't have that guy flinging our bags around.

• + New Posts