MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Don't know, but I'm listening.
    Me too!! I'm hearing faint echoes of "let's not try to reinvent the wheel" here, but I'm open to new input.

We have two solutions that work (diagonal lay in a gathered-end OR a bridge hammock). There doesn't HAVE to be a third, though there may be.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    We have two solutions that work (diagonal lay in a gathered-end OR a bridge hammock). There doesn't HAVE to be a third, though there may be.
    I would argue that there are 3 methods currently; Gathered Ends, Bridge, and Cinched End (like the Claytors and such). I find the cinched end rigs to be somewhere in the middle of the gathered end and bridge hammocks. Find the right diameter tree and open up those ends and they are quite tolerable when strung tight.

Always room for more hammocks in the gear room; bring it on!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I would argue that there are 3 methods currently; Gathered Ends, Bridge, and Cinched End (like the Claytors and such). I find the cinched end rigs to be somewhere in the middle of the gathered end and bridge hammocks. Find the right diameter tree and open up those ends and they are quite tolerable when strung tight.

Always room for more hammocks in the gear room; bring it on!
    Point to Cannibal! I have no personal experience with the Cinched end hammock design.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    I wanted a double layer so folded my hammock fabric in half- (I am short) and strung it up- I fit, with knees curled up. It totally wasn't comfy. Do I win for smallest hammock?
    Have you seen the test hammock made from approx 10$ of walmart material? you could get a length of fabric (say 11 or 12 feet) but try different lengths 'til you find something that works for you. Try it loose, try it tight... That's how to experiment, you don't keep the bad prototypes but just untie them and try again.

Wouldn't be for backpacking, but you could try slinging up some boards, that would be flat! :P

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123