Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images

Ludington state park

Looking for info on Ludington state park.
    A buddy of mine says they have hike in sites.
    Are they hammock friendly any info would be great thanks.

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Hi Erok_

Perhaps your buddy might be thinking of Nordhouse Dunes wilderness area just north of there.

There are dispersed hike in campsites everywhere there but from the reports I’ve read, there are some that don’t follow the leave no trace principles and there were areas that were trashed.

I walk in camped there last year and found some really nice places to hang for the night.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pop_Eye View Post
    Hi Erok_

Perhaps your buddy might be thinking of Nordhouse Dunes wilderness area just north of there.

There are dispersed hike in campsites everywhere there but from the reports I’ve read, there are some that don’t follow the leave no trace principles and there were areas that were trashed.

I walk in camped there last year and found some really nice places to hang for the night.
    I was there a couple weeks ago. The lot which I'm guessing holds 40 cars was packed. "No parking" areas blocked with cars as well. Then I'd say a 1/4mile of cars parked bumper-to-bumber on the road leading in. So, maybe 100 more cars. It's a mess. Then you get into the property itself...my god. I counted 8 different groups of people dragging sleds...PULKING on sand in the summer! I guess that gets around the "wheels prohibited in wilderness" sign. Gotta bring that cooler with Natty and PBR.

At least the area will never be logged, because the campers already took care of that.

But yes, Ludington SP does have a hike in camp as well with picnic table and fire pit.

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I was there a couple weeks ago. The lot which I'm guessing holds 40 cars was packed. "No parking" areas blocked with cars as well. Then I'd say a 1/4mile of cars parked bumper-to-bumber on the road leading in. So, maybe 100 more cars. It's a mess. Then you get into the property itself...my god. I counted 8 different groups of people dragging sleds...PULKING on sand in the summer! I guess that gets around the "wheels prohibited in wilderness" sign. Gotta bring that cooler with Natty and PBR.

At least the area will never be logged, because the campers already took care of that.

But yes, Ludington SP does have a hike in camp as well with picnic table and fire pit.

I am sorry to hear this about the pulks on sand. It's sickening along with the cutting down trees.

Just curious, I toured around in a bit a few months ago on the area around Green Road and didn't see that kind of activity. Were the PBR gang mostly sticking to the shore line area?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pop_Eye View Post
    Just curious, I toured around in a bit a few months ago on the area around Green Road and didn't see that kind of activity. Were the PBR gang mostly sticking to the shore line area?
    Oh man I forgot about that! Glad you reminded me.

So Green Road - I rolled in late just before dark so I figured I would head down that road and camp right next to my Jeep. It was PACKED end to end with cars, trucks, camper vans, RVs, tents set up literally every 100' or so and I'm not talking families hanging out together. I drove all the way to the end and it was just tent after tent.

Portable generators running. Xmas and party lights strung up everywhere. Someone had a big white sheet hoisted up into the trees and were projecting a movie onto it. All the things I didn't want to listen to until midnight, EVEN IF I happened to find a place to park...which I didn't. Unreal.

I told myself years ago I would never go back, but my big 4-day hike elsewhere in the state was canceled due to some foot pain. I was already packed so I figured it would be a good short-hike alternative.

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Oh man I forgot about that! Glad you reminded me.

So Green Road - I rolled in late just before dark so I figured I would head down that road and camp right next to my Jeep. It was PACKED end to end with cars, trucks, camper vans, RVs, tents set up literally every 100' or so and I'm not talking families hanging out together. I drove all the way to the end and it was just tent after tent.

Portable generators running. Xmas and party lights strung up everywhere. Someone had a big white sheet hoisted up into the trees and were projecting a movie onto it. All the things I didn't want to listen to until midnight, EVEN IF I happened to find a place to park...which I didn't. Unreal.
    Amazing. I would have never guessed. I’ve been up that way camping 3 times in the last two years but always in the middle of the week. Hardly saw anyone!

When it’s quiet, there are lots of good places to hang a hammock though!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    It's unfortunate. 10 years ago I could arrive at 9:30PM on a Friday after work and see a few cars in the lot. Now it would be dozens, even well outside of summer. So I started doing something like Sunday-Tuesday a few years ago and it's still pretty iffy. People chopping wood (live trees) at midnight. Loud groups where earplugs may not even help. I even camp well away from the main spots. Poop and toilet paper all over; people just do a poop-and-run, kicking a little sand over it like some dogs do.

Hammock
    Darien 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Erok_ View Post
    Looking for info on Ludington state park.
    A buddy of mine says they have hike in sites.
    Are they hammock friendly any info would be great thanks.
    There are walk in sites at LSP however they are not very hammock friendly more set up for tents.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk
    Its a proven fact that 78.4% of all statstics are made up on the spot.

Stone's Videos

• + New Posts