Quote Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I am a new convert. I discovered this thread via a google search after I saw a Hammock camper new Telluride CO. I was tired of hurting my back on the ground and the guy let me try out his HH. After lurking for a while and learning as much as I could I took the plunge. My setup is completely due to the great info you all have provided on this forum.

I wanted to start somewhat inexpensively (without jumping in to make my own from the beginning). So I purchased a Trek Light Double hammock (the ENO colors available at a good price were horrid and Trek Light is a CO company).

I set it up in the following way - the hammock comes with a hook attached to a larkshead. (Picture 1) - I removed the hook and replaced it with a Onrope1 buckle (Picture 2) - I ordered 2 12' lengths of polyester webbing from Strapworks (they sewed 2" loops for $0.75/loop) this is now attached to the buckle (Picture 3). I also got a Nano wire biner - it took me all of 5 minutes to setup my hammock up the first time (followed by a 1 1/2 hour nap break in the hammock - that was 5 exhausting minutes).

The best part is the hammock the straps and the biners all fit in the attached (to the hammock) stuff sack. (Picture 4).

Finally I got a 9X9 Sportsman's Guide camo tarp (or a Neo) along with 50' of 3.8mm spyderline from APS.

You guys are a great resource - thanks for the advice and help.

I would like to ask a couple of newbie questions.

1. Should my tarp have sypderline ridgeline - that is can I get away with simply attaching a length of sypderline to the grommets (on diagonal) and attaching those to the tree and then staking? Or do I need a full length ridgeline?

2. What is the best way to attache the tarp to the tree? Is there a particular lashing or method I should learn to get the tarp centered and tight as easily as possible?

Thanks in advance for the help.
welcome to the hanging community neo