DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I ordered a set of Beetle Buckles to try. Did they not do well for you?
    They worked great with the recommended Dutch Spider-Poly straps.

However I was still in the experimental/learning phase at that point and I moved on to something else that was less bulky and lighter. Because I'm also one of those UL freakazoids! But I'm late to the party... first time I slept in a hammock was Nov '17, so I guess I'm still a comparative noob.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    They worked great with the recommended Dutch Spider-Poly straps.

However I was still in the experimental/learning phase at that point and I moved on to something else that was less bulky and lighter. Because I'm also one of those UL freakazoids! But I'm late to the party... first time I slept in a hammock was Nov '17, so I guess I'm still a comparative noob.
    Thanks.
    I did order the ploy straps with the clip sewn on.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    No problem. Sorry that I came off to strong.
    no worries, the important thing is we both understand now no offense was meant. communication can break sometimes (especially in writing, when so many nuances are missing), but the important thing is to be able to re-establish it (maybe the most important thing, even)

I should have said earlier that I wanted to try hardware for the ridge line because I understand that pursik knots tend to slip.
    From you and others I see there are other friction knots that work better.
    I'm just not that into knots but I guess if I did one of those on my ridge line, it would just be there and not need to be retied.
    i honestly didn't realize there was an inclination away from knots, but indeed, it's just options, i think it's fine to try what attracts you, there's so many options, we can't all try them all. for instance there's lots of nifty hardware out there i cannot bring myself to try, just because it would be such a hassle to ship it, go through import procedures maybe, and so on. but i read here with hungry eyes when people talk about it, it's not the same, but at least i get some idea of what people appreciate and what they dislike. i value this a lot, case in point, i tried to invent some nicer solutions to do things (mostly with knots but not only), and this is the main reason i was able to come up with something that makes sense without too much trial and error, without much reinventing of the wheel: i have so much input from here about how people use hardware, knots, different types of lines in different setups, that i could use it all to focus on what's really good and desireable. i think that's really wonderful, i don't see how i could come up with anything new or useful that was not already well known, without all this.

the solution i mentioned, with leaving the knot tied on the ridgeline, with an integrated mini softshackle, i came up with based on this, and driven by my girlfriends strong dislike for tieing knots. i decided, instead of insisting to teach, to find a better solution (be it hardware or whatever), nad let her decide, without the pressure of "need", how she wants to approach knots. in the process, i discovered that, on one hand, in fact i agree with her: to have to tie knots (especially some of them) at night, when tired and it's raining and you just want it to _work_, compared to having a pre-rigged setup that you tested and know well (be it based on knots, hardware, or some combination, doesn't matter), well, no contest; otoh she discovered that knots are pretty cool, and ended up reverse engineering some on her own, when she needed to fix something in the field, in my absence. before trying to find a solution that requires "no knot tieing in the field", i would have never thought of it, i like knots, play with them, tie them, etc, but as soon as i started, i started to see "hmm. this is actually worthwhile". we all can learn something new, always, if we keep eyes open.

btw, one thing i love about knots is the shipment methods: i can ship a full tarp tieouts and ridgeline system to you or anybody in the blink of an eye, it's just knowledge, at the speed of light. i think of it "here", and we can teleport it to you across the ocean. yeah, you'll need to unpack it and make it your own, but once you do, it's yours forever, in unlimited quantity. it's something we can't do with titanium (just yet).

edit: been meaning to mention: for some reason i like your signature a lot. hard to say why, it just talks to me. nice one.
    Last edited by nanok; 09-16-2021 at 13:14.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I saw what I am using as my signature on a wall plack on a Woodworkers Guild of America video.
    When I looked it up I found it was from a poem by Robert Bridges.
    It's great when we find joy in making something.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234