Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Glad you're OK, Cannibal. You are a now a card carrying Hammock DIY'er. Let us know what your final hammock dimensions are as soon as you get back to it.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Ouch, that cross brace couldn't have felt good. Glad to hear your tailbone will live to fight another day. I had a similar experience with my first hammock, an unhemmed Risk's test hammock. BTW, did you make you extra-wide hammock extra-long too or do you think that's just be a waste and not add any comfort? Sounds like it worked out pretty well up until it dropped you. Also, if you decide to try the fabric glue I found if you run over the hem with a warm iron it makes an extra strong seam. I did a couple tests with LiquidStitch and nylon scraps and pulling them apart.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'll get the measurements this weekend as well as some pics of the tear. As far as the extra-wide, extra-long goes that was the purpose of the build. I started with 15' between the whippings and started moving the whipping closer by about 8 or 9” at a time. Too long and all the extra material flops over like a burial shroud. I really don’t have a guess at what length I ended up with; since I was also “collecting ” Heineken cans for more penny stove building. But, at a certain point the flopping factor dropped away, mostly.

The good news is the fabric is not a waste. Since I started long and progressed to shorter and the rip occurred near the whipping, I should be able to still use the fabric by moving my length to the other end once I have the measurements. Another $12 put away for next year.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Wow, I agree, the first rip and you should have moved. When my webbing broke a coupe of weeks ago, all I heard was a POP, and then I felt the ground. I'm sorry you fell, it really sucks that early in the morning. All I can say OUCH, and if it was me, my wife sould still be laughing.
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
    Ouch, that cross brace couldn't have felt good. Glad to hear your tailbone will live to fight another day. I had a similar experience with my first hammock, an unhemmed Risk's test hammock.

That beam that ran under me with Risk's hammock stand, and the resulting paranoia, is what caused the creation of BB58's variation on the Risk hammock stand. The original was lighter, cheaper and quicker to put up/take down. But I had less fear of falling( or fear of results thereof) with mine.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    .rips; hands and feet fly out of the hammock as outriggers approximately .5 seconds too late!
    it happens fast don't it
    i chipped an elbow on my hard wood floor w/ one fall.
    now i always have a 3/4 length of ccf pad w/ a memory foam pillow on top of it under my hammock at home.
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    That beam that ran under me with Risk's hammock stand, and the resulting paranoia, is what caused the creation of BB58's variation on the Risk hammock stand. The original was lighter, cheaper and quicker to put up/take down. But I had less fear of falling( or fear of results thereof) with mine.
    yeah, i've thought about making a rectangle platform out of 1/2" plywood that was a couple inches higher than the cross piece on my risk type stand, so if i fall there will be some give & spring.
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I've had a similar thought. I actually think I'll build a hollow platform at the base with a couple of hinged doors on top. Then I can use it as blanket or hammock storage. I might even be able to get rid of the dresser. Soon enough all that will be left in my bedroom is the hammock and stand...and probably the TV.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    By the way, thank you everyone for your concern about my bruised butt. It's nice to know folks are concerned and I appreciate it!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    So here is what it looks like.

This is the best I could do to illustrate where it ripped. If you look real close, you'll see that it ripped below the whipping. It was right where my suspension attaches. I couldn't get a closer shot because the flash was really reflected by the light colored material. You'll just have to take my word for it.

This is how long the rip actually is! I didn't think it went that far.

So, lesson learned. I'll be sleeping in it again by tomorrow! Oh yeah, final dimensions (uuh, before hems) is 102" between the knots and 94" wide. That was the most comfortable length for lying diagonally, but the longer prototypes were great for lounging and if made from stronger material would be great for cozying up with your favorite movie buddy.