Hammock
    Hummingbird Single+
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Pelica
    Insulation
    HG 850 20* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Hummingbird WHOOPI
    Sorry, non-mac user here! Just the old school plain keyboard with the only shortcuts in my bank such as copy & paste

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    Then you should write 20 degrees.

* is meaningless

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I feel like I’m watching a comedy. I for one knew exactly what he meant

Hammock
    WB Eldorado, Lightweight Double
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Becket
    Are we talking degrees F, C, K, or R?

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I'm thinking it's in *'s.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    It only took me 9 years to adopt Shift+Option+8; but then, I've been told I'm a fast learner.

TaraH, if you want, you can copy the ° from this post and save it someplace (notepad?). Then, when you want to use the degree symbol, you can just copy it from you holding place and paste it into the text where desired. I do some work with Swedish and have done that with å,ä,ö on my PC because I don't want to mess with Window's crazy way of requiring a long number plus a key.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 09-24-2021 at 15:14.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet, Eldorado, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    Some like the UL stuff and think it stands for Ultra Light. I find that it actually stands for Unhappy Later.

I fall into the camp that want to have as few worries as possible for maximum enjoyment of my outdoor experiences. With super lightweight gear (and what riches we have in that regard compared to the good ol' days?) that my mind is always on the gear. It is a small thing, but I don't want to baby my stuff or to take any extra measures towards its care. So I prefer last weeks wonder fabric rather than 10D. 15 or 20 is far, far less likely to see me singing the blues.

Now that I've gone hammocking twice with my 10 month old puppy, I'm on the lookout for for 80D and ballistic on everything. It is hard to find for some strange reason. Canvas anyone?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
    Some like the UL stuff and think it stands for Ultra Light. I find that it actually stands for Unhappy Later.

I fall into the camp that want to have as few worries as possible for maximum enjoyment of my outdoor experiences. With super lightweight gear (and what riches we have in that regard compared to the good ol' days?) that my mind is always on the gear. It is a small thing, but I don't want to baby my stuff or to take any extra measures towards its care. So I prefer last weeks wonder fabric rather than 10D. 15 or 20 is far, far less likely to see me singing the blues.

Now that I've gone hammocking twice with my 10 month old puppy, I'm on the lookout for for 80D and ballistic on everything. It is hard to find for some strange reason. Canvas anyone?
    It's good that we have choices. Things are different person to person... some are hard on gear and some are very easy, and there's everything in between. I don't baby my stuff but I also don't abuse it.

I've used a lot of UL gear for nearly a decade now without any significant failures. With my dog having used my 10D quilt as his doggie bed many, many times and I'm still using the quilt today, just a couple of nights ago and many times this summer, and it is no worse for the wear. I've also not washed it in all those years so you probably wouldn't want to buy it from me on gear swap. But my dog never clawed or chewed the quilt, and if that happens I don't think the denier would matter much.

I also use some MYOG carbon fiber trekking poles that weigh 4.2oz each. There are people 'out there' who would absolutely destroy them in 10 minutes but I've used them for a few thousand miles with no problems. Same with DCF tarps and tents and UL packs.

But hey, heavier materials are available if that's your preference. I'll bet Jared at Simply Light Designs will make you a synthetic quilt from 80D if you're serious. Contact Ripstop by the Roll and tell them what your plans are and ask for their recommendation. They ship to Jared and he makes your quilt.

CL50_Cyrus_Duplex.jpg
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Towns end, WBRR
    Tarp
    Mini/thunder, ugq
    Insulation
    AHE,zenbivy,JRB,HG
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy chain
    Quote Originally Posted by jadekayak View Post
    Then you should write 20 degrees.

* is meaningless
    Probably the single rudest comment I’ve read on these forums. Congratulations.
    EVERYBODY knew what was meant. So…. It was the opposite of meaningless.
    kris

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I went UL with the lighter fabrics when I did, because I realized at my age, if I waited for the heavier bombproof gear to wear out first, I was never going to get there.

My Golite Pinnacle, and AHE 12' tarp both show only minimum wear after the last 10 years. I've washed my JRB SS several times. It's as good of a TQ as it ever was and I purchased it on HF used. Socks and boots are the only things I seem to wear out.

As a result. I now have a really really nice LW kit for anyone who wants to tag along and give hammocks a shot. I know it will work for them.
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast