Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Journ

Hooks on Sparrow hammock

I have an 11ft sparrow with both the UQ and tie out hooks. I use this hammock with hammock gear incubator underquilts. The quilts have small D rings along the top edges. The clips at the head and foot ends hold the primary suspension cords easily enough. But connecting the hooks to the D rings on the quilts is a real challenge. Getting the ring into the hook is a real ordeal as the opening on the hook isn't large enough to slip the ring into it easily. If I'm even trying to do this correctly. Clipping the quilt along the hammock would really help with it sliding around during the night. Should i just be muscling the ring into the hook or is there a trick I'm not seeing to doing this? Or should I just make some sort of loops to put onto the rings that will slide into the hooks easily? Any advice would be approciated.
    Last edited by mch2os98; 09-27-2021 at 12:48.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I normally just run the shock cord suspension through the hooks, and not even bother with the D rings. Typically, I only hook up the outside shoulder. I don't recall having issues with the UQ sliding around, especially the Incubator. The common issue I have with the Phoenix (3/4 length) is that it sometimes comes off my shoulder but I think that's more of the design (the UQ starts at the shoulder) vs the full length Incubator. The main issue I have with the Incubator is getting the draft collars set right when I'm in a symmetrical hammock.

But yeah, I know that the D ring/pack hook combo is hard to get on there. You watched Shug's video? At around the 6:30 mark, he suggests using shock cord looped over the ridgeline to those D rings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrGfSgt1w2E

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    i have the underquilt hooks on all my hammocks and i only hook the suspension to the toquilt hook that is by my head and by my shoulder, i don't use the other two
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mch2os98 View Post
    I have an 11ft sparrow with both the UQ and tie out hooks. I use this hammock with dream hammock incubator underquilts. The quilts have small D rings along the top edges. The clips at the head and foot ends hold the primary suspension cords easily enough. But connecting the hooks to the D rings on the quilts is a real challenge. Getting the ring into the hook is a real ordeal as the opening on the hook isn't large enough to slip the ring into it easily. If I'm even trying to do this correctly. Clipping the quilt along the hammock would really help with it sliding around during the night. Should i just be muscling the ring into the hook or is there a trick I'm not seeing to doing this? Or should I just make some sort of loops to put onto the rings that will slide into the hooks easily? Any advice would be approciated.
    I am assuming that you mean Hammock Gear Incubator.
    Personally I have never used the quilt hooks but just try to get a good and proper UQ hang. Could take a few tries. But if you are going to use the quilt hooks, maybe just try one on head/shoulder end and one on foot end.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Journ
    I had seen this video. I'll try this next time. I keep the bug net on my hammock so hopefully this won't cause any issues. I tried some ridgeline quilt hooks from Dutch, but with the bugnet I was afraid those were going to tear it. It just seemed like the easiest way was to use the rings with the hooks. Maybe I'll try to run a piece of shock cord from D ring to D ring that could be clipped to the hooks. Since the incubators primary suspension cord runs inside a channel from end to end of the quilt, this could be used instead. I'll take a look the next time I can set it up at the park.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Journ
    I did mean Hammock Gear. I edited the original post. Thanks for the link to your video.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    +1 on just hooking the shock cord line for all the UQ options.

• + New Posts