Sagging question ...

I know comfort is a personal preference but I would like to ask all of the experienced hangers how does the amount of sag affect the way you lay in the hammock, assuming you are using a diagonal position.

Does increasing the sag provide a flatter position or vice versa?

As a side question ... what lengths are people using for the structural ridgelines? what rope? I am almost set on an 8 feet ridgeline for y ENO doublenest.

-VBP

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    In my experience, increasing the sag will allow you to get more diagonal; to a point.

Make your ridgeline adjustable (at least at first) and start long. Then you just shorten in increments until you find the length that works for you.

I had problems with my ENO singlenest when I first got it. I couldn't get rid of the shoulder squeeze issue. It wasn't until I set the sag way more than I thought it needed that I found 'my' sweet zone. It ended up with approx. 30 degrees of sag when I was done. But, as you stated, it is a very personal issue; hang your own hang and all that.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    In my experience, increasing the sag will allow you to get more diagonal; to a point.......... I couldn't get rid of the shoulder squeeze issue. It wasn't until I set the sag way more than I thought it needed that I found 'my' sweet zone. It ended up with approx. 30 degrees of sag when I was done. But, as you stated, it is a very personal issue; hang your own hang and all that.
    When I use my Speer ( no ridgeline added yet), I have found that I have to use a lot more sag than I would have thought to avoid shoulder squeeze or to lay diagonal. Also, to use as a chair or lounger. Without a lot of sag, the side edge seems to cut into my legs uncomfortably if used as a chair. And what I mean by "a lot more" is that it appears to have a good bit more sag than in the pictures at Ed's site or his book. But Ed answered my question " The effects of too little sag are obvious, but is it possible to have TOO much sag". Answer: "Yes, when your butt hits the ground". So, experiment at will. Whatever works and feels good.

Are you using a Speer type? Because the sag question is not all that applicable to the HH( maybe not at all applicable), unless maybe you are hanging it super loose. With my HH, if I make the ridgeline even a little tight, or really tight, it's all about the same as far as hammock sag goes. But it will make a big dif on keeping the bug net out of my face ( tighter is better) and comfort for chair/lounger ( looser is better, to keep the ridgeline from trying to decapitate me).
    Bill
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-10-2007 at 10:45.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vic View Post
    I know comfort is a personal preference but I would like to ask all of the experienced hangers how does the amount of sag affect the way you lay in the hammock, assuming you are using a diagonal position.

Does increasing the sag provide a flatter position or vice versa?

As a side question ... what lengths are people using for the structural ridgelines? what rope? I am almost set on an 8 feet ridgeline for y ENO doublenest.

-VBP
    I agree, the more sag the more you should be able to lay flater without shoulder squeeze.

As far as rope goes for a ridgeline, you want anything that doesn't stretch. A lot of people here use spectra, or at least polyester.

the length is purely up to each persons preference.
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

• + New Posts