Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tarp
    thick plastic
    I am curious about the slap straps and bug net, do you have these or just the hammock, i was looking at the hennessy now I am looking more towards the eno double...I assume it comes with everything it needs, and that the slap straps are just some sort of different set up...i dont find the eno sight as user friendly for a newbie like me as some of the others have been. 70 dollars for the eno seems minimal price compared to the others.
    The possitive friction created by the interaction of two or more energizes us to grow.
    In the rush and noise of life, as you have intervals, step home within yourself and be still.William Penn
    All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit quiet in a room alone...Blaise Pasqal
    A good rest is half the work...Yugoslavian Proverb
    There should be in the soul halls of peace, avenues of leisure, and high porticoes of silence...Jeremy Taylor

I just recently purchased an Eno Double. It doesn't come with any way of attaching it to the tree, however I would recommend staying away from the slapstraps from Eno. From what I've read on these forums they stretch quite a bit when in use (unfortunately I didn't know this until after I purchased mine..).

You should, however, use some sort of strap to attach the hammock to the tree instead of rope. The strap helps protect the tree from damage.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ perhaps
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SerenitySeeker View Post
    I am curious about the slap straps and bug net, do you have these or just the hammock, i was looking at the hennessy now I am looking more towards the eno double...I assume it comes with everything it needs, and that the slap straps are just some sort of different set up...i dont find the eno sight as user friendly for a newbie like me as some of the others have been. 70 dollars for the eno seems minimal price compared to the others.
    Slapstraps seem to be nearly universally hated here. I have a pair of Slapstrap pros and though I haven't spent that much time in the hammock, I can attest that they stretch quite a bit. Also I noticed, just last night, that tho the doublenest is rated for 400 pounds (according to ENO) the Slapstrap pros are rated only to 200. Since I'm closer to 250, that revelation was disappointing, to say the least. Going to be upgrading to whoopie slings / tree huggers anyway, I guess but that chaps my butt. >:-(

As to the Guardian, the net seems very well constructed. I've seen a number of folks here that remove the attached bag - I think I'll do the same. The bag is heavy as heck and tends to want to dangle in the mud when the net is deployed.

Hammock
    eno, hennessy hammock
    Insulation
    therm-a-rest pad
    i love the slap straps, they do stretch a bit but it doesn't effect the comfort level
    the set up time is way faster then my hennessy and adjusting is easy n hassle free(no tying knots)

I think the rating provided is per strap. If this is the case they should accommodate the 400LBS the doublenest can hold.

I was unable to find anything to confirm this on the ENO site, but the REI site does indicate this is the case for both the slapstraps and the slapstrap pro.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird Double Layer
    Tarp
    Custom
    Insulation
    Fleece bag
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    I got my Doublenest last week and have been sleeping in the yard in it ever sense. I got two 2X6.5 tow straps at Harbor Freight and have been GTG. I did replace the biners that came stock with USGI issued snap links.

Thanks to this forum I will be looking at playing with suspensions and doing a DIY for my son for resident Scout camp so we can both hang- George

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ perhaps
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kust0m View Post
    I think the rating provided is per strap. If this is the case they should accommodate the 400LBS the doublenest can hold.

I was unable to find anything to confirm this on the ENO site, but the REI site does indicate this is the case for both the slapstraps and the slapstrap pro.
    If you go to ENO's site and find the SlapStrap Pro bit ( http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.c...strap-pro.html ) they claim "they can safely support up to 400lbs" however in the top right picture, you can clearly see marked on the strap "max weight 200 lbs." I dunno - maybe the pair is supposed to do 400 pounds. That looks to me like either strap can fail over 200 lbs but what do I know.

Regardless, I have an order in progress for whoopie slings / tree huggers - it'll be a good upgrade.

Hammock
    Black DIY dual zipper
    Tarp
    Black DIY 10'X12'
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by bhancock View Post
    Just curious as to the lifespan of these hammocks. I bought mine in 2005 and have used it quite a bit. At least 20 nights a year hiking and sleeping in the yard (not counting just hanging in the yard/beach/etc). I am a heavy dude and this hammock has never let me down. Its a black and gold double. I have layed in it during storms, ice, and sun.

I have the same one, and since last summer when I got it, I've slept in it almost every night! Through the summer, Linville Gorge in the fall, & all winter, even in 70 mph winds!. I've taken it down and cleaned it up on occasion than set it back up for that night. NEVER a problem, it is such a comfortable hammock!
    I have a light DIY hammock I carry on long hikes, but my go to car camping hammock is the ENO.
    "Is this the best you've got?!!" (Shortoff Mtn., Linville Gorge 2010)

"Life is tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid!".....(John Wayne)

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    I've had my Doublenest for a couple of years now, and it is my primary winter hammock. I have around 15 nights in it, but I have hundreds of hours of nap time in it, supported by my Byer hammock stand in the gear room.

I got rid of the ridiculously heavy carabiners and changed them to two SMC rappel rings for each end. I hated slapstraps so I bought polypropylene webbing from strapworks.com. I run the webbing around a tree and run the other end through the rings and have a superfast setup with minimal stretch and nearly a half pound lighter than the original gear and slapstraps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12