Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 45
  1. #21
    Firesong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Saskatoon, Sk. Canada
    Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Posts
    1,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Oh, missed the or maybe it wasn't enough. No intent to offend; sorry if I missed the mark. Yes, I too hate that I can't engage on stuff I'm passionate about because my commercial interest contaminates credibility. Good to know that the Cricket works with your 111" ridgelines. On the German site they're using Tensa tarp extensions.
    If the intent was grin, then I withdraw some of my angst from the reply. So many people are offering opinions on gear they hope to make 2 cents off of, come watch my video so I can make some more cents. Look my logo is on this 'X' it must be good, come buy it.. I miss the videos that aren't swamped with advertising and people use gear as a tool to supplement an outing rather than a 'Look at Me' and click this link.
    Yeah, once I could get the translation to work I noticed their extensions. There is a video out showing how to connect them, it's on the outside of the apex of the hub rather than the inner which can allow the tarp lengths to differ between models etc.
    I did mention in my comments that this model isn't for everyone. Price range dictates a lot of things. People poo-poo things without even seeing something and trying it just because of price. So it's nice to see people using 'x' and giving a non shill experience about it.
    I will add that you have supported a lot of people to try making their own Tensa style of stand on their own which, I have no doubt, will bring people in to buy your gear since it become a lot more transportable and more refined than the DIY approach. And that free exchange of help is great.
    I am sure that as I use the Yobo stand I will find things that need some awareness about, and I will share that with everyone including Yobo.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Posts
    972
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheonix6579 View Post
    The keyed tubes are a great feature that helps cut setup time down.
    Our first 100 hand-made-in-USA stands used round 6000-series tubing, not even anodized. Our prices were basically cost, not counting our labor. Anodizing in US would more than double cost. We looked for cheaper US tubing sources, but most didn't even respond to our inquiries, because we're not a fat-budget military contractor with a legal requirement to source in the US. The only one who did slammed the door as soon as we mentioned that the poles needed to support human weight: liability. East Asia has pretty much bagged the aluminum industry. We found several factories in China eager to work with us. We faced a choice: 7000-series aluminum at a cost premium to optimize strength:weight, or 6000-series, way cheaper, and plenty strong enough if ~12lbs is acceptable.

    What clinched our decision for 6000 was that 7000-series was going to be round, while with 6000 we could develop custom keyed profiles, meaning that as you pull the telescopic segments apart, the spring buttons pop into place with zero hunting for the holes. Round? Half the time you'd pull the poles apart before finding the holes, because they rotate out of alignment. Much slower. We chose the ease of use of keyed tubing over the weight savings of stock round 7000-series (that YOBO uses). We figure that anything over like 2-3 pounds isn't viable for backpacking anyway, while if motors are involved a few extra pounds is acceptable, especially if it halves the cost. Hiking? Get Solo or Trekking Treez instead. (We use round 7000-series for our Tarp Extensions and Boomstake booms.)

    We suspect that keyed 7000-series is feasible, but beyond the capabilities of our suppliers. How many extra hundreds of dollars is acceptable to cut 5lbs from Tensa4, when Trekking Treez in carbon fiber is always going to be much lighter yet? Did you know that you can already buy a carbon fiber tensahedron, under 4 lbs much like my first working prototype, for a bit over $500? Max capacity of 176lbs for gathered-end hammocks though: https://crosshammock.com/en/shop/carbon-tree/ . Maybe I'm too eager to demonstrate my friendliness to fair competition, linking it here.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 11-26-2021 at 16:36.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

  3. #23
    sideshowraheem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    MN
    Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    183
    If I have to wait a year for a Tato stand to become available I might just get desperate and buy a YOBO!

    I had a Tenso Solo. The support was excellent, well made, but I just couldnt get it to work regularly with my loose soil. I need a freestanding setup of some variety, hopefully in time for summer. Might have to sell some old gear to put towards this thing.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Posts
    972
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowraheem View Post
    If I have to wait a year for a Tato stand to become available I might just get desperate and buy a YOBO!

    I had a Tenso Solo. The support was excellent, well made, but I just couldnt get it to work regularly with my loose soil. I need a freestanding setup of some variety, hopefully in time for summer. Might have to sell some old gear to put towards this thing.
    You could get a free-stander like Cricket, or even a heavy cheap one if it’s for home use where portability doesn’t matter much. You could also DIY a tensahedron or buy Tensa4, whose anchoring requirements are much, much easier to meet than those of hiker-focused mono or bipod stands like Tensa Solo or YOBO Freedom.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

  5. #25
    Pheonix6579's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Citrus County, FL
    Hammock
    Chameleon Dbl. Layer
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    CRO UP Quilts
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Posts
    445
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowraheem View Post
    If I have to wait a year for a Tato stand to become available I might just get desperate and buy a YOBO!

    I had a Tenso Solo. The support was excellent, well made, but I just couldnt get it to work regularly with my loose soil. I need a freestanding setup of some variety, hopefully in time for summer. Might have to sell some old gear to put towards this thing.
    Don’t wait for the TATO…go with a Tensa4 or the Cricket. Both of those stands are MUCH better than the TATO stand IMO.

  6. #26
    hutzelbein's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Posts
    3,985
    Images
    112
    In my opinion both stands have different strengths and weaknesses, although I have to admit that I have not yet used a Cricket Stand. Since I'm not located in the US, I would have to add customs fees and VAT on top, which would bring the price up to more than $1,000 for a stand that would in all likelihood only be used a couple of nights a year.

    I own several Tensa4 stands and have been very happy with them - for outdoor use. So far I have not seen another system that I'd rather use when there are no trees available. I usually hang one of my Warbonnet hammocks in there, and the Tensahedron design has been the only one that produces a taut ridgeline. In addition it's easy to hang an 11' tarp without having to add extra poles; it is fairly easy to set up and break down (once you get the hang of the way the system works, which can be a bit tricky in the beginning); and while it is not suitable for backpacking, it breaks down small enough to take anywhere where weight is not too much of a problem.

    However, I did not find it very suitable for indoor use. The two main reasons are space and anchor points. It's true that the Tensa4 has not a very large footprint, but it still takes up considerable room. I tried setting it up at home in a space of approximately 6.5' x 10' with a ceiling height of 6.5'. I had to basically disassemble it, and assemble it in the final position, because it was not possible to unfold it due to the low ceiling. The next problem was keeping it from collapsing. I tried anchoring it to a 35 lb kettlebell which is more than sufficient as long as you keep the stand balanced. But seeing that I couldn't get the perfect position due to the space limitations, I tipped over, catapulting the kettlebell up. Luckily the low ceiling kept the stand from collapsing so that the kettlebell swung harmlessly over my head. Had the stand been able to collapse completely, I don't know if I could laugh about it now. This episode taught me to only anchor to things that are far heavier than me. Which is a problem indoors. While it is possible to use the Tensa4 indoors, it is often difficult or impossible in smaller spaces like e.g. a hotel room or a guest room that just fits a bed.

    From what I have seen of the Cricket Stand, it seems to be perfectly suited for indoor use, because it is free-standing and needs less space. In addition to the light weight and the small packing dimension I think it makes for a much better choice when you need an alternative to sleeping in a bed while travelling. I probably wouldn't use it for camping, because the Tensa4 works so well with a tarp and on uneven ground. So it's essentially horses for courses.

  7. #27
    cougarmeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Bend, OR
    Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Posts
    2,925
    hutzelbein, if the orientation of the Tensa4 allows it, you could put a small bar on the anchor line and run it through the gap between/below a hinged door and wall. That would probably secure it well enough if you are gentle with getting in/out. No swinging kettle balls overhead (Yikes!).
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Posts
    972

    YOBO CRICKET STAND

    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    However, I did not find it very suitable for indoor use. The two main reasons are space and anchor points. It's true that the Tensa4 has not a very large footprint, but it still takes up considerable room. I tried setting it up at home in a space of approximately 6.5' x 10' with a ceiling height of 6.5'. I had to basically disassemble it, and assemble it in the final position, because it was not possible to unfold it due to the low ceiling. The next problem was keeping it from collapsing. I tried anchoring it to a 35 lb kettlebell which is more than sufficient as long as you keep the stand balanced. But seeing that I couldn't get the perfect position due to the space limitations, I tipped over, catapulting the kettlebell up. Luckily the low ceiling kept the stand from collapsing so that the kettlebell swung harmlessly over my head. Had the stand been able to collapse completely, I don't know if I could laugh about it now. This episode taught me to only anchor to things that are far heavier than me. Which is a problem indoors. While it is possible to use the Tensa4 indoors, it is often difficult or impossible in smaller spaces like e.g. a hotel room or a guest room that just fits a bed.
    You describe a tight space, yes. In future, I suggest you experiment with collapsing a few segments on all 4 poles, everything else remaining connected as normal. This lets you “unfold” the stand at setup time without striking a low ceiling, and also to store the stand folded in minimal space out of the way by day, hammock and all remaining connected. Unless you’re very tall with a long hammock, you may be able to leave some of those segments collapsed as you lay in the temporarily smaller stand.

    As for anchoring indoors, doors and windows closed near hinge points upon the anchor line are always my first go-tos. If a counterweight, we’d suggest a minimum of 1/3 body weight, 1/2 affording more security. A weight exceeding that of your body is fine but certainly overkill. You’d have to hang your entire body weight from the head end apex to lift a foot anchor weighing barely less than you, just like a beam scale with the feet as fulcrum: not a real use case.

    This site and I believe also Hängemattenforum.de shows truly free-standing Tensa4 setups ideal for indoors. They are a bit more complicated, and not as roomy as the normal setup. But we are also prototyping and testing a kit of parts and instructions to improve both the simplicity and capacity issues of the methods already shown. We’re not yet sure what the demand may be for such a thing, but as long as free-standing function continues to come up as a must-have, we’ll keep at it.



    This fits a 12’ hammock with foot end higher, unlike earlier free-standing configurations shown. Now imagine the trapezoidal base as a solid sheet of material that doubles as a mat for your shoes etc. and a roll-up bag for the stand with room for the few extra tubing sections used, tarp extensions, etc.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Latherdome; 11-27-2021 at 22:32.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    You describe a tight space, yes. In future, I suggest you experiment with collapsing a few segments on all 4 poles, everything else remaining connected as normal. This lets you “unfold” the stand at setup time without striking a low ceiling, and also to store the stand folded in minimal space out of the way by day, hammock and all remaining connected. Unless you’re very tall with a long hammock, you may be able to leave some of those segments collapsed as you lay in the temporarily smaller stand.

    As for anchoring indoors, doors and windows closed near hinge points upon the anchor line are always my first go-tos. If a counterweight, we’d suggest a minimum of 1/3 body weight, 1/2 affording more security. A weight exceeding that of your body is fine but certainly overkill. You’d have to hang your entire body weight from the head end apex to lift a foot anchor weighing as much as you, just like a beam scale with the feet as fulcrum: not a real use case.

    This site and I believe also Hängemattenforum.de shows truly free-standing Tensa4 setups ideal for indoors. They are a bit more complicated, and not as roomy as the normal setup. But we are also prototyping and testing a kit of parts and instructions to improve both the simplicity and capacity issues of the methods already shown. We’re not yet sure what the demand may be for such a thing, but as long as free-standing function continues to come up as a must-have, we’ll keep at it.



    This fits a 12’ hammock with foot end higher, unlike earlier free-standing configurations shown. Now imagine the trapezoidal base as a solid sheet of material that doubles as a matt for your shoes etc. and a roll-up bag for the stand with room for the few extra tubing sections used, tarp extensions, etc.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is a thing of beauty. As a full time hammock sleeper I would love to find a way to set up in a confined space, such as a hotel room with minimal area. I work on the road nearly 20 weeks per season and I do not sleep well in a hotel bed. Maybe I should just setup on the job site, plenty of posts to hang from. Attach8933_20210812_185335.jpg
    Last edited by Micah; 11-27-2021 at 17:59.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Posts
    972

    YOBO CRICKET STAND

    Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    That is a thing of beauty. As a full time hammock sleeper I would love to find a way to set up in a confined space, such as a hotel room with minimal area. I work on the road nearly 20 weeks per season and I do not sleep well in a hotel bed.
    I can’t sleep in beds either. You do know that at least dozens of Tensa4 customers use it as is in hotels now, more simply than what’s shown in the photo?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Latherdome; 11-27-2021 at 18:44.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

  • + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Yobo Hammock Stand
      By dghboy315 in forum General Hammock Talk
      Replies: 25
      Last Post: 08-11-2021, 15:30
    2. FS: FS / YOBO PACKABLE Hammock Stands. $130 Shipped CONUS.
      By Storytellertn in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 09-09-2020, 09:36
    3. YOBO Stand
      By GadgetUK437 in forum Other Vendors and Services
      Replies: 32
      Last Post: 04-05-2019, 17:20
    4. Hello from Cricket and husband near Atlanta, GA USA
      By Cricket in forum Introduce Yourself
      Replies: 24
      Last Post: 10-14-2013, 16:47
    5. SOLD: Cricket Cage Stove from Mini Bull Designs
      By abeldanger in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 09-30-2011, 16:35

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •