Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images

double hammock for quilt

The last hammock I built I tried something new ( at least for me ) and cut one piece of nylon at 10 foot exactly, and a second piece at 10' 6". I hemed all the edges, to the same width, and then laid the shorter length on top of the longer, but had the ends even causing the outer shell to be slightly larger than the inner. I then did the folds and whipped the ends, added the ropes and hung it up. There was about a three inch gap between the two hammocks to which I added a 13 dollar sleeping bag from Wal Mart. I used velcro to hold the top of the inner and outer bags together which worked well, and vlecro pads to hold the sleeping bag in place at the top of the hammock. Hope that description makes sense.

The result was, much to my delight, both comfortable and warm to sleep in. Had it out for a weekend wander in the bush and two nights sleep in it. I weighted it with the sleeping bag sandwiched between the two layers and it came to just under five lbs. I am starting another today using 1.1 oz per sgaure meter which should be much lighter then the other nylon I used and will try to find a sleeping bag with a bit more tech. insulation in it. One that will both compress and cut down on the weight. My theroy is that doing it this way will require only two layers of fabric instead of three so should be lighter when all is said and done.

Was wondering if anyone else has tried this and how they made out with it.

Amazing what you can do
    When you don't know how.

Green Therapy

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The Claytor line of hammocks work on a similar concept, I think. Your's sounds much more comfortable using a bag versus a pad! How cold do you think it's going to allow you to get? I might just try something like that; it sounds like an easier version of Just Jeff's "Warm Hammock".

BTW, we need pictures.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    nice idea.

Your description reminded me of the Zhammock. On review I see there are a couple of important differences. The two bags of the Zhammock are cut to the same size, which is good for pads but not for a quilt. The edges of the two bags are sewn in spots to hold them together, whereas with velcro you can create temporarily a wide enough gap to fit a quilt.

There is also a thread here on what is essentially a second bag for the bridge hammock. Here you can slip a pad between the two bags and tighten the gap as needed, or a quilt, or a family of possums. Whatever keeps you warm. The geometry of that style lets one be quite flexible in positioning the second bag with respect to the first.

Grizz

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    zHammock was the first thing that came to my mind. It was very inventive to put the sleeping bag between the layers of the 2 hammocks. Do you have any problems with compressing the insulation?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    although you can't see much in the way of details, here's a home made insulated hammock.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P3170039.JPG

you can loose a lot of the bulk & weight by using one or more layers of synthetic insulation instead of the cheap sleeping bag.
    you'll be loosing the weight/bulk of the bag's liner, shell & zipper.

you could buy some nice, high tech insulation or use the quilt batting from wal-mart, but if you could spend just a few more bucks, i believe you'll get better results in the long run w/ the better grade insulation.

just be sure to make the outer layer of the hammock (possibly 1.1oz) considerably bigger than the inner layer (possibly 1.9oz).
    on my next synthetic insulated hammock, i plan to use short, light lines w/ cord locks, attached to the shell near the edges to allow me to adjust the shell as needed. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    With me laying in the hammock there is three inches of air space between the layers, so there is no or little compression of the insulation. I am almost finished the light weight 1.1 hammock now and it seems to be the same as the first one with regards to air space between the layers. As you all know, hammock building is an evolutionary process, so I am trying to minimize the amout of velcro needed. It is a great product, but a lot of things that you don't want to stick to it, do. Like the insulation, bug screen etc. I will take some pics in the next couple of days and they will prolly explain the process better than I can here.
    The other bonus of having two hammocks in one is, if you rip the first one, my theroy is the second one will slow you down before you hit the ground or hammock support LOL.

• + New Posts