WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

ridge line length recommended on wbrr

Heres a question for all ridge runner owners out there who have chosen to add a structural ridge line: what length ridgeline do you recommend, (and how do different length ridge lines affect the feel of the hammock"? in other words, what length rigeline helped you find that sweet spot?) Thanks!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I don't think that a structural ridgeline would change much about the hang like it does in a gathered end (but of course I could be wrong). I basically am using a fixed length of Zing-It inside the bug netting, attached to the split rings. On the outside of the bug net, I attached a Dutch fleaz to the split ring so I can tension the line to my liking by attaching a Zing-It line to the trees on either side.

ridgeline1.jpgridgeline2.jpg
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    If you wanted to experiment you could fashion a whoopie style adjustable ridgeline and play to your heart's content. Then file a report.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I add a hammock ridgeline to a gathered end hammock that does not have a built in bug net or top cover.
    I multiply the length of hammock in inches by .83 to get length of fixed length ridgeline. Some use an adjustable ridgeline, like a whoopie sling, and make small adjustments to find what is most comfortable to them.

For specific hammocks, ask the vendor for a suggested ridgeline length

Generally, do not change length of ridgeline that vendor has placed inside of a zippered netted hammock, and or hammock with built in top cover. This can result in a sagging net or top cover—or worse a torn net or top cover.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The RidgeRunner is a different critter from a GE with a net/ridgeline in that the RR’s net is not attached to the hammock’s suspension. It has its own bungee cord to lift it up. So it's not an issue with the distance of the hammock apex connectors.

The recommended distance between the apex points (where the two dogbones come together) is about 13 ft. A friend of my likes hers at 12 ft (says it is less tippy). So set the hammock up and see what apex distance works for you. Then make a ridgeline that length and attach it to the apex connector or what you have just on the other side of them. For example, I used to come off the apex connector with a short length of Amsteel connected to an Aluminum ring. I’d put a carabiner between the ring and loops in a daisy chain. I’d use the ring rather than just an Amsteel loop on the hammock side because there was absolutely no chance of the ring getting loose and falling off. But these days I’m going smaller/lighter. I’m using a turtle connector and probably a small loop from that to a beetle buckle (or maybe just a basic webbing buckle attached to the turtle.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    The RidgeRunner is a different critter from a GE with a net/ridgeline in that the RR’s net is not attached to the hammock’s suspension. It has its own bungee cord to lift it up. So it's not an issue with the distance of the hammock apex connectors.

The recommended distance between the apex points (where the two dogbones come together) is about 13 ft. A friend of my likes hers at 12 ft (says it is less tippy). So set the hammock up and see what apex distance works for you. Then make a ridgeline that length and attach it to the apex connector or what you have just on the other side of them. For example, I used to come off the apex connector with a short length of Amsteel connected to an Aluminum ring. I’d put a carabiner between the ring and loops in a daisy chain. I’d use the ring rather than just an Amsteel loop on the hammock side because there was absolutely no chance of the ring getting loose and falling off. But these days I’m going smaller/lighter. I’m using a turtle connector and probably a small loop from that to a beetle buckle (or maybe just a basic webbing buckle attached to the turtle.
    Ditto.

I just retired one WBRR with a few hundred nights use on it. Never considered a ridgeline at all, little need for on with all the pockets on it. My new WBRR has only 3 nights on it and I expect to put several hundred on it if I can live long enough. Ridge lines also tend to be in my way even in ge hammocks.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    I just retired one WBRR with a few hundred nights use on it. Never considered a ridgeline at all, little need for on with all the pockets on it. My new WBRR has only 3 nights on it and I expect to put several hundred on it if I can live long enough. Ridge lines also tend to be in my way even in ge hammocks.
    Sorry for being nosey, just curious, did the first WBRR wear out?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    > Ridge lines also tend to be in my way even in ge hammocks.

After a time, one can develop a pretty good eyeball for those distances. But in first starting, you don’t need to have a permanent ridgeline if it gets in the way. Just size your ridgeline so it’s the desired length with two cheap/small S-biners. You can use it as a measuring stick to set the distance, then remove it. Or just remove one end and bunch it up, out of the way, but still attached so you’ll have it next time.

These distances are not exact by any means, but there’s a confidence in having a “helper” in the form of a measured ridgeline (for RR or GE). And again, after a while, you develop an eye for the desired distance and a sense of pressure/force on the suspension as you string it up.

To be clear, there’s a ridgeline (removeable or not) and a structural ridgeline. ONLY the structural ridgeline - usually permanent - is designed (amsteel) to hold the forces of a body in the hammock and a suspension angle of less than 30 degrees. The measuring line with two small S-biners described above is NOT Structural.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Quote Originally Posted by sloth99 View Post
    Sorry for being nosey, just curious, did the first WBRR wear out?
    Not at all, I just wanted a new one. By the way, I am the third owner of the old one. Those things are tough.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast