Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

XLC Blackbird with winter top cover iced over last night. Advice?

Last night was sort of the first real *winter* night in Boulder and the temp got down to -10C.

For the most part I was totally warm BUT ice was forming from condensation and in the morning I was basically stuck inside an ice tomb

It was pretty bad actually. I mean I guess I can deal with it but it wasn't fun.

My thinking is that my hang is too flat and I need to lower my head so the hot air doesn't get stuck and leaves through the foot box vent.

The other main issue is that I wasn't using a tarp so I wonder if using a tarp might increase the air temp a bit more and help mitigate the problem. I can't really see it doing more than say 5C increase though.

My tarp was actually destroyed in a wind storm and I'll post about that later. Really upset by that as we had a good run together.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Some tents that are truly designed for winter conditions have a curtain of sorts that separates the tent into 2 'rooms'. One room houses your torso and legs in a dry environment, while your head is breathing in the other (well ventilated) room. All the condensation occurs at the head end, and if it's vented enough, there's not much. I've been pondering how to accomplish the same in a closed-up hammock, whether it's a top cover or something like the travel sock - keep your breathing separate from your body.

Directly to your question, I don't think raising the foot will do the trick, there will be plenty of opportunity for your breath to cool and condense before it escapes at the foot.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
    Directly to your question, I don't think raising the foot will do the trick, there will be plenty of opportunity for your breath to cool and condense before it escapes at the foot.
    I agree. That warm moist breath against cold nylon is just going to be a mess. Turn your headlamp on high at night and watch one breath...then multiply that by about 7,000. That's why I still prefer to be a little cool, exposed with no net or cover and just let it get carried away...usually.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My advice.......don't use it if it keeps happening. Made a hammock sock with a hole vent right over my face. Still got full of ice. Warm but damp!
    I always got frost and ice on mine and would drop all over me on egress.
    Try a bugnet and see what you get. Still will get frost.
    Some of us just put out a lot of moisture.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Here's an example of the tent curtain: https://www.rei.com/product/144624/n...9125_f255d8ea1
    Plenty of YouTube videos, too. If I could sew, I'd try it out.

This is pretty interesting. I'll have to think about this more. I might try to setup a type of divider and isolate it over my chest so I exhale and it leaves the tent through the head portion.

I found sleeping with my down jacket, gloves, and skull cap work well because none of the ice got on my skin which is the annoying part.

Jumping up out of bed wasn't too bad but still not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
    Some tents that are truly designed for winter conditions have a curtain of sorts that separates the tent into 2 'rooms'. One room houses your torso and legs in a dry environment, while your head is breathing in the other (well ventilated) room. All the condensation occurs at the head end, and if it's vented enough, there's not much. I've been pondering how to accomplish the same in a closed-up hammock, whether it's a top cover or something like the travel sock - keep your breathing separate from your body.

Images
    Get one of these, or make one out of fleece material.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/breathalizer/
    Talmadge
    "GroundHog"

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Whether you use a sock or a tarp, the idea is to turn your hammock+suspension into a single wall tent. That gives the frost some place to form besides your hammock/quilts. Dealing with condensation is part of the winter camping challenges. The goal is to provide enough ventilation so the warm air doesn’t collect and frost, while using the tarp or sock to minimize heat loss. I use a sock and in freezing temperatures I have it unzipped near my head (and I wear a balaclava). My head isn’t completely exposed to the elements, but warm air from my breath has an escape route.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 12-06-2021 at 17:57.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

No advice, but as shug said perhaps using the bug net will help somewhat with heat retention while cutting down on condensation...

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by GroundHog View Post
    Get one of these, or make one out of fleece material.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/breathalizer/
    That's pretty much the curtain idea, and somebody has made it for you! I think I'll try that.

I also use a bib (cut from a fleece sweatshirt) over my quilt in cold weather to protect it from me breathing directly on it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast