Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Super Shelter knockoff/diy?

I've done a bit of searching about open cell foam bottom insulation and haven't come up with too much. Has anyone made their own version of a SS? I'm thinking of ways to use open cell egg crate foam (or something similar) as bottom insulation for my DIY hammock. Yes, I know it's bulky, but it's also a lot lighter than my current carpet padding solution. I haven't found too much on anyone else using open cell other than the actual Super Shelters.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JDShearer View Post
    I've done a bit of searching about open cell foam bottom insulation and haven't come up with too much. Has anyone made their own version of a SS? I'm thinking of ways to use open cell egg crate foam (or something similar) as bottom insulation for my DIY hammock. Yes, I know it's bulky, but it's also a lot lighter than my current carpet padding solution. I haven't found too much on anyone else using open cell other than the actual Super Shelters.
    IMO there is good reason for not finding much on open cell foam. It don't work very well _except_ in the super Shelter. I think that's one reason some people are so hesitant about the SS. But it works well. Very well in fact. As far as making your own... I've tried a few times to knockoff the Super Shelter and have had absolutely no success. The undercover is a very non-intuitive design, I think it could be duplicated only by taking one apart, which I am totally unwilling to do with mine. YMMV
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    2Q has been working in his secret underground labratory to develope a double bottom mod for the HH. It must be tough b/c we haven't seen him as of late. One day I expect to see him come out with rays of light coming from heaven shining on his heavily modded HH.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I recommend using one of these!

Add a DIY Undercover and you have a Supershelter!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    Just to clarify, I don't have an HH, and I'm not looking to spend much money. I'm just considering using OCF somehow suspended beneath the hammock as my bottom insulation and wondering if anyone's done it outside of the SS. I can buy the OCF for about the same price as CCF and figured the OCF might be a more comfortable option if I can get it to work. I'm leery of dropping some cash for IX because of the need for good fit to get to low temps (I'd like to get to single digits).

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JDShearer View Post
    ...leery of ...IX because of the need for good fit to get to low temps.
    OCF has the same issue with fit. It won't gather, so you have to shape it somehow.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    if you know someone that sews you can get everything need to make a Synth quilt for under $60 and get them to make it for you...

way better option then a pad if you ask me
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    diy DL HH explorer asym w/shelf
    Tarp
    jrb hex spinn
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggles
    would'nt using the clone HH model be a good start in making a clone SS, maybe make it a bit bigger to add more insulation
    Darn another project I HAVE to do
    I guess few mods and it should be like a SS.
    will keep you posted on the project.
    FRED

Images
    OCF has the same issue with fit. It won't gather, so you have to shape it somehow.
    So an undercover of some sort won't hold the OCF up against the hammock snug enough? I'm willing to dart the OCF if I need to. My foam is 1" thick OCF, and I figured if people are getting the SS down to 20 degrees, then with thicker OCF I could get lower.

you can get everything need to make a Synth quilt for under $60
    Yeah...I sew, but I can't afford to spend that kind of money. I'm hoping to do two hammocks for around $30 if possible, and I already have some OCF lying around.

would'nt using the clone HH model be a good start in making a clone SS, maybe make it a bit bigger to add more insulation
    I'm not quite sure what you mean. Like a double bottom hammock? I have been thinking about a differential cut double bottom to make this possible, but am hoping for a bit less work.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    if you sew you could make a Speer SPE ...
    that would not cost much to make ...and would work out better then trying to rig up OCF under you...

and you could use any cheap pads with the SPE...heck 4 blue CCF pads a wally world for $20 would make 2 SPE setups for ya

thats about all i can think of for a cheap setup...
    i'll tell you this...cheap is ok...but spend the money and make the synth quilt...your going to end up doing it down the line anyway...thats just me

and in the long run i think you would be alot more happy
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast