Tarp
    the edge
    Insulation
    HG 40/0 phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies

im wondering something

Hey all
    i didnt know where to post these questions/comments .as it deals with both top and bottom insulation... might be dumb to ask but id like to know.
    ive recently ordered a new uq and sleepbag both down ..
    If its not a good thing to store a down bag compressed.. and could be damaging .. but wait a sec.. dosent the bag come compressed? and has sat on the store shelf for who knows how long? till someone bought it?
    how is this difrent from storing at home?

my next question is more detailed i guess.. ive had condensation, we all have at some point im sure . due to either the pad or or sheet..my question is how does the vapor escape useing a uq? it has to go somewhere doesnt it? wouldnt the down be like a sponge soaking it up ? thus losing insulation properties? i understand that the mats used iare breathable but what about the down?
    if someone could explain this to the bonehead here as this is a new venture with down for me..
    just wondering ..
    thanks all

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy hex
    Insulation
    diy kaq & down top
    Images
    Hi Jonesy:

As far as down bags being compressed--hopefully, the store selling them knows enough not to store them compressed until you buy them. So hopefully it's only been compressed a little while during shipping. But then again, maybe not! I always sigh a little when I see down bags stuffed into little boxes on the shelves in big outdoor stores.

Where is your UQ from? If it's a cottage gear maker I wouldn't worry about it. They probably know better.

I've used down and synthetic underquilts and never had any problems with condensation from my body heat / sweat in the insulation. Nor have I ever heard of anyone having this problem unless they were using something that blocked in the moisture outside of the insulation (vapor barrier) like a waterproof undercover or something like that.

Good luck!

From my understanding most manufactures (marmott, rei, and the like) keep their bags in the storage sack in the warehouse, then when time to ship it gets packed up in the stuff sack for shipping, but some companies like Bass Pro (outdoor world), ****, and the like don't do this the product is shipped in the box and stays like this for who knows how long, but a quick run in the drier with a tennis ball or two should get it up and fluffed again. To my knowledge as long as it's not stored in a compression sack the down should not be damaged if it was stored for not that long a period. Your second question, there really should not be any condensation built up with the UQ, unless you are using a full length pad in the hammock with the UQ in place then you might get condensation, you really should not have any condensation at all if you are not using a pad, due to the fabric that the UQ is made out of breaths and allows for the condensation not to be built up, if you are using a vapor barrier with everything else mentioned you will get some if not alot of condensation if you are not paying close attention and venting alot to prevent this! I'm sure that others more wise than I will chime in at some point, but hope this helps!

Hammock
    HH , WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    the edge
    Insulation
    HG 40/0 phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    accually fellas you answered my questions .. thank you.. so would it still be wise to go ahead and throw the new bag in the dryer anyways when i get it with some tennis balls?
    thanks again

• + New Posts