On my DIY hammock, I have made what we call a "gable roof" for the mosquito net. It replaces the typical set up, which you might call an "A-frame". I ran two non-stretch lines about five feet long, eight inches to each side of my structural ridgeline underneath my net. I used buttons on the outside sewn through the net to attach the fixed lines to the net. From those buttons, I ran two-foot lengths of shock cord with eyes sewn in to go around the buttons. Then I attached to the other end of the shock cords enough non-stretch to go around each of my two trees. I put a taut-line hitch on each side for adjustability. The width of the trees effects the width of the "gable". The ridgeline is the "peak" of the gable. It seems to be a nice set up, keeping the net far away from my face and body and giving me almost vertical walls. Also, I don't have to guy out the net so there are no guy lines to trip over.

Has anyone else done this? Any thoughts on improving the idea of two support lines for the net? I'll post pictures when I can. Anyway, I thought it was a pretty neat idea and wanted to share. Happy hanging.