Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Single

Big Agnes for Hammocking?

I've been looking at the Big Agnes sleeping bag and air core pad for a few years and finally made the purchase. After only two days of back yard use, here are my findings:

Pros: Sleeping bag sleeve with pad, warm underside and no more wiggle dance to 'get on' or 'stay on' the pad. This is a great fit for hammocking.

Cons: The rectangular air pad. Suggest the 'mummy' shape. The rectangular pad hangs off the edges of my ENO Single.

I haven't taken it overnight or down in temp but I do feel confident that it will hold comfort to freezing.

Has anyone else worked this system? I'm looking for ideas or suggestions ...

Let the hammock season BEGIN !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zul View Post
    I've been looking at the Big Agnes sleeping bag and air core pad for a few years and finally made the purchase. After only two days of back yard use, here are my findings:

Pros: Sleeping bag sleeve with pad, warm underside and no more wiggle dance to 'get on' or 'stay on' the pad. This is a great fit for hammocking.

Cons: The rectangular air pad. Suggest the 'mummy' shape. The rectangular pad hangs off the edges of my ENO Single.

I haven't taken it overnight or down in temp but I do feel confident that it will hold comfort to freezing.

Has anyone else worked this system? I'm looking for ideas or suggestions ...

Let the hammock season BEGIN !!!!
    Try about 20 puffs in the pad.

Hammock
    Hennessey Exp Zippereed Dlx A-Sim
    Tarp
    Hennessey 70D "HEX
    Insulation
    BA+Mtn,Hinman pad
    Suspension
    straps & carabiner
    Images
    I have the Cross Mountain with the Air Core pad and was finding myself waking up with a cold back side. I added the Sleeping Giant Memory Foam pad and that cured it.
    Greg Dunlap
    Santa Rosa, CA
    38.478156 N
    122.754598 W
    157 feet above sea level

[email protected]

Vietnam Security Police Life Member 361
    366th SPS K-9 Association Webmaster
    Da Nang, RVN TET 1968 - TET 1969
    Blackie 129X

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I began using the exact same setup when I first started hanging. It worked but it sure limited my enjoyment sleeping in the hammock. Even with the sleeve it is hard to keep the pad under you.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    I have used the BA Air core mattress with a BA Horse Thief sleeping bag and had absolutely no problems....but then again I have a WB Traveler 1.7 Double and just put the pad in between the fabric layers.
    I would agree with you about using the mummy shape and not the rectangular shape, but then again I don't really care if the pad sticks out HYOH/YMMV
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    Castaway
    Tarp
    Equinox sil tarp
    Insulation
    down sleeping bags
    Suspension
    rigid SLS + whoopy
    The mummy Big Agnes does fit a hammock much better and mine stays pretty well in place, however my butt gets cold on it in a hammock below freezing. I put foam under and that helps, especially around the shoulders. Its still not an ideal set up, sort of fussy and may require two foam pads with it. I'm thinking of going to a hybrid foam pad system, especially considering the weight of the insulated Big Agnes. Of course if you want the option of sleeping on the ground its nice to have along.
    Jim S

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    I agree with JimS on that comfort issue...I wuv my BA Air core mattress. When ever I used or use it I just simply don't try to convince others of it's value to getting a good nights sleep. You don't always have the opprtunity to use a hammock sleep system, and there is more than one way to skin a cat.
    Most comfortable sleeping pad ever made, and BA customer service is great if you ever have an issue with anything. I own several BA producs and wuv them all! But then again...since taking to the hammock way of things I don't have much use for a lot of them. Just saying.

And as always----HYOH/YMMV
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    ENO Single
    Adding the foam pad is a great idea.

I am not yet a hammock purest. Overall, I need to be able to go to ground on regular basis. Grand Canyon ... no hammocks and kids not there yet. So, the sleeping bag setup is more versitile for my needs.

Although, someday ... we'll all hang

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    I began using the exact same setup when I first started hanging. It worked but it sure limited my enjoyment sleeping in the hammock. Even with the sleeve it is hard to keep the pad under you.
    My experience, too.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

I use BA bags (got two), but found inflatable pad inside sleeve or outside sleeve did not work well for me inside a hammock (pad always moved, and it just wasn't comfortable to me). Now I use two CCF pads inside my hammock. One is 1/2" and cut to shape of BA sleeve and goes inside sleeve. The other is 1/4" thick, and 40"x50". This one goes below my torso. Now I have little trouble with pads moving about and I've been successful with these two pads down to 18F so far.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast