Las Vegas, NV

New Las Vegas Hanger - Switchback the Trail Pirate

Greetings Hangers!

I got a Hennessy Digital Camo hammock and had ZQ put zippers into it. Wow. Very nice. I got some great JRB gear too. I am ready after viewing tons of videos, etc. Also, I got the ZQ peak encloure and extra ridge line storage. All were in the super light grey material.

I made some discoveries playing around in my backyard. I put ShoeGoo on the threads of the hanging straps to protect them better.

A mistake was to trim a Mylar sheet to the size of the Hennessy foam pad. I should have left 12 inches or so all around it. I will redo it. I used Velcro tape to attach the Mylar to the pad and it worked great.

I used a strip of Velco to attach a Western Mountaineering down pillow in a peak bag to the ridge line. Works great to keep the pillow from sliding down. I put a soft fleece cover over the peak bag. Super comfortable and soft. Be sure to use a piece of Velcor tape to seal the cover, so the pillow will not slide out of of the peak bag.

I am going down to the big Pacific Crest Trail Kickoff at Lake Morena County Park April 23-25. I have a hammock stand to use down there, because the park does not allow you to use the trees for hammocks. No problem.

Anyway, I really like the hammock camping concept. I have some physical problems and this is the ticket to keep camping.

Northern Ky
    currently my DIY bridge
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    DIY tq,pads
    whoopie sling
    Welcome to the forums, Switchback. Yes, I too find that hammock camping makes it easier (as I age.) Enjoy your trip and hope to see you around the forums.
    By the grace of God, I am not the man I used to be.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Ed Abbey

New Ringgold, PA
    WWWB/ HH explorer/DIY
    HH hex / DIY
    BL mamba JRBnest
    Welcome switchback! Looks like you've got a great start to your hanging future. Make sure you take some pic's of your setup and of your up coming trip. joe