Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Hammock Engineer needs a favor

I just got off the phone with HE (Nate). He has taken a bad fall near Mahoosuc Notch (on the detour around the dead moose). He has a badly bruised tail bone and lots of scraps, but nothing is broken. He cannot use his current hammock while recovering because it is putting to much pressure on the injured area. He needs to borrow a bridge hammock.

Anyone willing to loan HE a bridge hammock please contact him at [email protected]. He has had to sleep on the ground .

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

Nate rescue mission

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dino View Post
    I just got off the phone with HE (Nate). He has taken a bad fall near Mahoosuc Notch (on the detour around the dead moose). He has a badly bruised tail bone and lots of scraps, but nothing is broken. He cannot use his current hammock while recovering because it is putting to much pressure on the injured area. He needs to borrow a bridge hammock.

Anyone willing to loan HE a bridge hammock please contact him at [email protected]. He has had to sleep on the ground .
    I'm on it. I offered him a turn-key solution involving my first bridge hammock.

But my sewing is suspect, Nate is a big guy, and that hammock is small. Another option here would be for someone who can sew well, and fast, to do a real job of it. 2-3 hours for someone who knows what they're doing with cutting tables and sewing machines. The bugnet would have to be adapted from a commercial version, but that's not too big a deal. I can give directions, and I can ship hardware (fabric, rings, webbing, Spyderline, CC buckles, and webbing), as well as a cheap commercial mosquito net that can be adapted to work.

I'm away from home (and sewing machines!) on vacation this coming week, but will bring this stuff with me in case anyone is interested and able in putting together a Bridge hammock better suited for him, and I can find a post office.

I am tethered to a computer usually, even on travel, so if you PM me I'll see it.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i'm sorry to hear that, but i'm glad he didn't break anything.
    i hope someone will be able to help him out.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dino View Post

I'm sorry to hear that he has become injured. I'm also sad to hear he isn't comfortable in his hammock.
    I would generously give him my Bridge if it was useable. However, it's become a tortured prototype that I wouldn't trust on the trail. It's also isn't complete. I still haven't come up with a solution for 'field' spreader bars and a few other things.
    I have some of the materials to make another one but not all. I wouldn't feel too comfortable sending him something unless I was confident in the design.

Perhaps JRB could lend him one? I don't know much about the patent stuff but if you make something and just lend it to someone (not sell) are you violating patents?

Unfortunately, the timing is just a bit off. I was hoping to try some new things in the coming weeks.
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

field spreader bars

Field spreader bars are indeed the next great challenge for we DIY guys.

The only thing I can see working on short notice is using branches from the trail for spreader bars. I did it once and it seemed OK. But...

Grizz

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Is HE not carrying trekking poles?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Is HE not carrying trekking poles?
    I'm sure he is. I just can't in good confidence recommend it day in, day out for a thru. And you have to have a way to make the poles fit. Then there is the issue with 'slippage' that TeeDee found and had to insert dowels to prevent. I was going to try a thicker gauge tent pole to see if it would work.

Like I said, unfortunately we're just too early in this. It could end up just being dead weight and unusable to him. If it was just a speer type, I'd sew him up one tonight and send it out......
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Images
    Nate has a cell phone with him and has service where he is. He was planning to take a zero today to heal. Perhaps someone with with more knowledge of this subject than me needs to get their phone number to him via the pocketmail addy so he can address the problems with spreader bars. As others note, Nate is a tall, well-built man. He isn't a small fellow.

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Has anyone had a chance to help him? I started looking at the way the Bridge Hammock is put together but I just have no time to sew one up.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

Nate is covered

Quote Originally Posted by Iafte View Post
    Has anyone had a chance to help him? I started looking at the way the Bridge Hammock is put together but I just have no time to sew one up.
    I talked with him Monday night. He's taken care of. He asked me to let him tell the story himself in his trailjournal.

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast