Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    Modified Speer
    Tarp
    PenTarp, by OES
    Images

Sag

Is there an established and accepted way of expressing the amount of sag in a suspension line or hammock? Expressions like "generous sag" or "more than you would expect" can mean one thing to one person and quite a different thing to another. Yet I haven't come across a post that was more specific.
    bob

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    I know with the Warbonnet hammocks its around 30 degrees.
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yes, 25 - 30 degrees is the usual starting point as shown in this illustration by dejoha.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    What makes a comfortable sag will be different for everyone...you might start with a 100" ridgeline and a 10' hammock body. That will set the sag of the hammock's body consistently every time, and it's what several of the popular hammocks use.

If you're doing it w/ a DIY hammock, then hanging it so your supports are about 30 degrees will be a good starting point. Check here for a couple of pics of sag to get an idea.
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockGlossary.html
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Nice illustration, but doesn't a ridgeline make the hang angle irrelevant? I thought that was the point. It'll make a difference in the amount of force being applied to the trees, but it won't change the way the hammock feels.

Isn't that the whole point of the ridgeline? Or have I completely misunderstood?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris Losdindawoods View Post
    Nice illustration, but doesn't a ridgeline make the hang angle irrelevant? I thought that was the point. It'll make a difference in the amount of force being applied to the trees, but it won't change the way the hammock feels.

Isn't that the whole point of the ridgeline? Or have I completely misunderstood?
    No, you've understood correctly. If you use a ridgeline, it makes your hang much more consistent. There are still a few times when it won't be...like when your ridgeline isn't taut, for example...but for the most part that's the function of a structural ridgeline.

It also means that you can get the optimal hang in suboptimal spots...like not having to put your supports 10' off the ground to get the right amount of sag.

But it's possible to hang with the right angle and get the same sag as if a structural ridgeline were used. That's about where the 30 degrees comes in.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Modified Speer
    Tarp
    PenTarp, by OES
    Images
    Ummmmm......sorry, sports fans.........I think I failed to make my question clear. A newcomer doesn't need to read many posts before coming across the suggestion of hanging at about thirty degrees. But to a lot of people, my dearly beloved wife included, the device for measuring degrees is a thermometer, not an inclinometer. Not for me, of course. I'm mathematically inclined. I even know what the word "trigonometry" means. Big deal! I went out and hung my hammock at "thirty degrees." Then I went back to my shop and dug up my inclinometer. To my ego-smashing astonishment, I was off by ten degrees. Do you have an inclinometer?
    The question I asked was
    Is there an established and accepted way of expressing the amount of sag in a suspension line or hammock?
    The answer, of course, is Yes: degrees. The question should have been
    Is there a more useful way of expressing the amount of sag.....
    I realize that a few degrees one way or the other is no big deal but I found that ten degrees is a big deal.
    It seems to me that expressing sag in degrees (measured at the tree, not at the hammock, of course) is a disservice to those who are not mathematically inclined or experienced. Is this a non-issue???
    bob

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    ... Then I went back to my shop and dug up my inclinometer...
    For those who aren't civil engineers, this is a very simple device that measures the angle/slope of various things. Don't know where you can actually buy them, but I have several passed down from my grandfather and father.

A simple DIY tool is to buy a big protractor* at Wally's World, a piece of string, and a rock. Tie the rock to the string, hold the string at the the middle on the straight edge of the protractor, and then, holding the protractor so that the curved edge is down and the straight edge parallel to your support strap, read the number.

If you are really cheap (like me) you could print a protractror ( http://www.ossmann.com/protractor/ ) on a piece of 8x10 paper and use that....

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Please, if anyone sees me hanging my hammock with a level in one hand and a clinometer in the other, just shoot me, and write it off as public service.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Please, if anyone sees me hanging my hammock with a level in one hand and a clinometer in the other, just shoot me, and write it off as public service.
    I tend to agree. It seems a little CDO (That's OCD [obsessive compulsive disorder] for people who need it to be alphabetical). I have gotten to the point where I can pretty much eyeball what I want my hang to look like.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast