Tarp
    MYOG SilPoly Hex
    Insulation
    Climashield APEX
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle

Question DIY Under Quilt fabric Advice

Hello fellow hangers!

I'm looking for some guidance on fabric selection for a DIY UQ I plan on making.

I've made 4 top quilts using RSBTR's HyperD 1.6 & Climashield Apex and have had great success. I Currently use a One Tigris UQ from amazon it functions ok. I tend to camp in the worst possible weather and even throughout the winter. I've been stuck in sideways blowing rain more times than I care to count and I'm no stranger to having a wet UQ.

The UQ I will be making will be for my new (still waiting for it to arrive) Dutch Chameleon hammock. I've primarily used Hennessey up to this point.

My thoughts are a waterproof bottom (outside) fabric and a lighter inner fabric. Weight isn't super important but I don't want it crazy heavy either.

I have on hand the following:

RSBTR 1.1 SilPoly PU4000 (for outside)
    RSBTR 1.0 HyperD uncalendared
    Climashield Apex 5.0/oz

MY question is who has used a similar fabric set up for a UQ? I know you generally want your quilts to breathe and how would the PU4000 on the outside perform? I often have rain and spray (camping too close to running rapids I guess) hit the outside of my UQ and that is my thought as to why to use something more waterproof.

I'm not at all opposed to ordering new fabric, i have found I always come up with a use for extra ripstop Nylon

Nick

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    There's far more water coming from your body, trying to get out. Do not use a waterproof fabric for a quilt. To avoid moisture from the outside, it's a good practice to camp at least 200 ft. from streams - better choices of microclimate (wind, water). It's also required on most public lands. Sorry.

The uncalendered ripstop and Climashield will do fine together. For the outside, maybe a breathable fabric with a good durable water resistant coating.
    Last edited by WV; 04-23-2022 at 14:07.

Hammock
    Hennessy/Dutchware Cham
    Tarp
    MYOG SilPoly Hex
    Insulation
    Climashield APEX
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    There's far more water coming from your body, trying to get out. Do not use a waterproof fabric for a quilt.
    Thanks. I know we let off a lot of water, but I was thinking more will escape up off the top quilt. I've used Mylar 'Emergency' blankets as part of an UQ system many times and never noticed a build-up of moisture. But that has always been in freezing temperatures. What problem did you have? did you find condensation in the under quit? what were the temperatures you were sleeping in?

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    To avoid moisture from the outside, it's a good practice to camp at least 200 ft. from streams - better choices of microclimate (wind, water). It's also required on most public lands. Sorry.
    In our provincial parks system, we are only allowed to camp is designated sites in the backcountry. I often do river routes and the sites are on the water. I've been at some sites where you can't even get more than 15-20 meters (60 feet) away from the water if you wanted to. This isn't even the closest I've had to hang near the water but it's the only video I had. That trip was a very wet trip!! it only stopped raining for us to load the car at the end of the trip.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj6xvg4EnzA" target="_blank">

Thanks for the input!

Nick
    Last edited by Cdn_Nick; 04-24-2022 at 10:43.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    While you may be doing DIY, just look at the market and tell me: how many waterproof quilts do you see? How many waterproof hammocks? None?

That's because of condensation. Nobody makes waterproof hammocks or quilts because of it.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    My suggestion would be an underquilt protector. That will help keep precipitation off your underquilt.

A waterproof shell on your insulation is asking for trouble. A number of guys over at backpacking light tried Cuban fiber (dyneema for all you youngsters) topquilts and there were a number of issues. IIRC I believe hammock gear even made a few for a short while.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hennessy/Dutchware Cham
    Tarp
    MYOG SilPoly Hex
    Insulation
    Climashield APEX
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    While you may be doing DIY, just look at the market and tell me: how many waterproof quilts do you see? How many waterproof hammocks? None?

That's because of condensation. Nobody makes waterproof hammocks or quilts because of it.

You make a Very Vaild point! Thank you!!
    Nick

Hammock
    Hennessy/Dutchware Cham
    Tarp
    MYOG SilPoly Hex
    Insulation
    Climashield APEX
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by georgecarr View Post
    My suggestion would be an underquilt protector. That will help keep precipitation off your underquilt.

That is a great idea. Never really though about it! I might give that a try!!

Thanks
    Nick

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    And remember the UQP is also NOT waterproof. It is somewhat water resistant. One of its jobs - it has many - is to keep splash off the UQ. Because it hangs loosely below your UQ, it blocks the occasional/incidental wet and quickly dries. It is NOT an upside down tarp.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Maybe consider Argon 67, and now 49, which are breathable yet very wind and splash resistant all on their own.

I've got a HG Incubator made with Argon 67 which on its maiden voyage (January '18) was hit with splashback from howling winds and torrential rain for more than 12 hours. Expecting a disaster, I was very pleasantly astonished when the down was perfectly fine in the morning and the shell dried super quickly after all that rain. In fact the temperature had plummeted during the night, from 57°F at midnight to 27°F by 8am, and the remaining water drops had turned to ice. When I shook the quilt the frozen droplets sloughed right off.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Hennessy/Dutchware Cham
    Tarp
    MYOG SilPoly Hex
    Insulation
    Climashield APEX
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Maybe consider Argon 67, and now 49, which are breathable yet very wind and splash resistant all on their own.

I've got a HG Incubator made with Argon 67 which on its maiden voyage (January '18) was hit with splashback from howling winds and torrential rain for more than 12 hours. Expecting a disaster, I was very pleasantly astonished when the down was perfectly fine in the morning and the shell dried super quickly after all that rain. In fact the temperature had plummeted during the night, from 57°F at midnight to 27°F by 8am, and the remaining water drops had turned to ice. When I shook the quilt the frozen droplets sloughed right off.

Awesome! I'll check some Argon 67 & 49 out.. I can always use another fabric order!!

Nick

• + New Posts