WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Quilts
    Suspension
    Beckett / Whoopies

Cold feet with a Wooki?

I built a DIY Tato stand so I could bring my Blackbird XLC on my son's scouting events. Their event calendar means I'm using the hammock outside of my usual summer hiking season. I know I'm pushing a 20 degree Wooki and Diamondback when overnight temps are in the low 20s, but I'm generally pretty happy with what I've gotten away with so far.

I do need to figure out why my feet are freezing at night, though. In the summer, it wasn't really something I noticed, but now, it's a bit more important to me. First thing I noticed is that I seem to push the hammock footbox past the underquilt. While the Diamondback zipped footbox gives it a valiant try, it's not enough. Finally I decided it was worth crawling out from under the Diamondback to take a closer look at what was going on, and I realized I seem to run out of Wooki before I run out of legs - the insulated portion seems to end mid-calf or so.

Shoulders at the Warbonnet logo, nice flat diagonal, although nowhere near the angle of the Wooki baffles, 6' 3", give or take.

There aren't a lot of ways to screw up with a Wooki, which is sort of the point, but I'm curious if I'm missing something here.

I want to sort this out before I get a set of lower temp quilts for events outside of shoulder season.

Thanks!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Are your feet past the baffles at the footend? Could be.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I had the same issue on one of my trips back in January. I figured out that my feet were extending just past the Wooki baffles. I solved it with just one of those small inflatable sit pads that sits inside my top quilt down at the foot end (learned from a Shug video ).

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    At the risk of bring up yet another tread on peeing, when it’s time to get up, even before much “urge”, my body stops producing heat; I start to feel cold - often my feet first.

Once I get up and take care of it, I snuggle back down in down and all is toasty warm again. … until the next time.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Not sure if it helps but check your hang angle. I have the WBBB, not the XLC and I found that if I don’t have my foot end 16 inches higher than my head end that I don’t get the right diagonal lay.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Quilts
    Suspension
    Beckett / Whoopies
    Guess the good news is that it's not just me.

My feet are definitely past the baffles, yes.

I had the head end around 15" lower the first night and dropped it a bit more for the second night, but it didn't make a lot of difference. I may be able to slide a bit further toward the head end than is recommended to see if I can keep my feet above the UQ, with the trade off of getting a pillow/hat/whatever up top.

Thanks for the feedback.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Check your socks, too. Wear loose fitting warm socks, anything that constricts blood flow will exaggerate the cold.

Charlotte

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    MiniFly, DD 3.5m
    Insulation
    Wooki XL
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I have suffered with this and the main culprit appeared to be the foot end not being high enough.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Quilts
    Suspension
    Beckett / Whoopies
    I’ve got another scout campout next weekend and I’m arriving Saturday morning. Hopefully I’ll have some time to experiment. I’ve got some extra line I can tie into fixed loops and adjust my suspension in the stand until I get this right. Plenty of daylight to work on dialing this in.

I had a single night trip for a training event. No time at all to try anything, but I definitely have room under the tarp to shorten my foot end suspension and raise things up a bit.

I have my cold weather upgrades planned out assuming I can get this figured out.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BMStroh View Post
    My feet are definitely past the baffles, yes.

I had the head end around 15" lower the first night and dropped it a bit more for the second night, but it didn't make a lot of difference. I may be able to slide a bit further toward the head end than is recommended to see if I can keep my feet above the UQ, with the trade off of getting a pillow/hat/whatever up top.
    It sounds like you're on the taller side. That means you might have to hang the head end quite a bit lower than a shorter person. In order for the XLC and the Wooki to work well, your heels should not lie behind the lowest point of the footbox triangle. If you slide too far towards the foot end, you'll need to lower the head end until your feet end up in the right place.

• + New Posts