Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oyster View Post
    Hammocks are like Lego's I'm discovering..
    Truer words have never been spoken. And just like Legos, you'll end up assembling a kit from the parts and pieces of "boxed" hammock purchases. Of course that requires you to purchase multiple hammocks, which is pretty likely in my experience.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    Welcome; I can attest to how welcoming the group assembling in Uwharrie NF is. I do like the modular mix/match element, and being able to tweak what I’m bringing to fit the expected conditions.

I will add that you’ll probably get more anti-mosquito bank for your ounce by spraying a single-layer with Permethrin, though I have a few double-layer hammocks.

I was really dismayed when I realized how much heavier my best gathered-end hammock was than my single-layer ones (not sure why is was surprised — of course it’s nearly double).

One nice thing about trial-and-error in getting the right UQ is that it gives me a number of spares to loan to my teenagers :-).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    Welcome to our community here at HF! You'll find more info here than you can shake a stick at and as many different opinions. A favorite line amongst us is HYOH - Hang Your Own Hang or do what feels right to you. Once you start going to some of these group hangs you can see all kinds of different styles of hammocks, suspensions and insulation. Going to the group hangs is really an eye opener, not to mention great fun. The spring and fall hangs at Yates Place in the Uwharries is always fun. Phantom (who was the 1st to welcome you) always does a "hammock tour" on the Saturday of the hang...walking around and looking at discussing different types of hammocks & suspension. You already started out on the right foot by watching Shug's videos! Welcome!
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    Minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Thanks for the welcomes and info. Greatly appreciated! Some of the suggestions here have opened my mind to other options. I'm gonna bother WB again and ask about the weight rating difference in the hammocks(double vs single layer) Weird thing is that in his description of the single layer it says 250lb for single layer, but in the specs it says 275lb comfort with 350lb max. Confusing.
    Also rethinking going UQ (cry once) but stumbled unto another question. Left or right? One is custom(as ya'll know). Geez! I fell down a rabbit hole!!!

Didn't try left or right lay in the Onewind to determine that Sooo, can't really buy the Yeti without knowing. This is overwhelming and fun at the same time LOL

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    If you don't know your lay preference, I'd stay away from directional UQs for now.

I've used my HG Phoenix and Incubator UQs on my WB Eldorado that I flipped for reverse lay (head right) when I was figuring out my preference. I started with a DW Half Zip in standard lay, then got the Eldorado to flip the net to try reverse lay, then figured out I needed a symmetrical so I got the DW Chameleon.

The only issues I had with the Phoenix is that it would sometimes pop off my outside shoulder (I'm an active sleeper) as the WB hammocks don't have UQ hooks. The Wooki and Yeti don't need them, they use a different suspension method. I bought some grosgrain and UQ hooks to sew on, but never got around to it. The Eldorado is a loaner hammock now.

As far as the weights go, I think they need to clean up the website and update the specs. My Eldorado is the older single layer 70d fabric (not Dreamtex). I think the 250 limit was for the 70d nylon. The higher limits are the 40d Dreamtex, but I would call to verify. I weigh about 260 and it's fine for me. Some people prefer a firmer hammock...so they go with heavier rated fabrics or go double layer.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I was leaning towards the Thunder too. I just noticed on WB that the panel pulls are not in stock. So hopefully they will be when I buy. If not I'll go Mini
    I don't think they offer stock Thunderfly tarps in 20d silpoly with the panel pulls, only for silnylon. Honestly, I prefer porch mode anyways...either using sticks or trekking poles. The panel pulls are nice if you're dealing with broadside winds blowing the tarp into you...but you can mitigate it somewhat with site selection.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    welcome to the forum

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Welcome from down at the beach!

Don't have anything to add to all the advice above. Hang On!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for the welcomes and info. Greatly appreciated! Some of the suggestions here have opened my mind to other options. I'm gonna bother WB again and ask about the weight rating difference in the hammocks(double vs single layer) Weird thing is that in his description of the single layer it says 250lb for single layer, but in the specs it says 275lb comfort with 350lb max. Confusing.
    Also rethinking going UQ (cry once) but stumbled unto another question. Left or right? One is custom(as ya'll know). Geez! I fell down a rabbit hole!!!

Didn't try left or right lay in the Onewind to determine that Sooo, can't really buy the Yeti without knowing. This is overwhelming and fun at the same time LOL
    You will never know if you prefer a single or double layer until you try them.
    Most UQs can go either way left or right. My UQ playlist to peruse....https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...mBYSPGHjdyGqsL
    Also maybe consider a hammock like Superior Gear with snap on UQs. No fiddling.
    Shug who also loves oysters

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    Minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Once again, big thanks for the replies and advice. Looks like the upcoming WB sale will save me 20% on both the hammock and Yeti if I go that route. It lands around a $60 savings(both).

I'm now leaning single layer(treated with Permethrin) and the Yeti 40 degree. I'll add the Wookie later when the temp drops. With the sale savings versus my original plan is only about $35 more AND I get an UQ.

I totally forgot to put my specs. I'm 5'10 and currently 225. I lost 20-25 lbs in the last year. Had knee replacement and dumped the weight, chilled on my beer drinking and started walking more. Physical therapy after the surgery motivated the walking and I feel much better. Too much info I know

I'm overthinking this I'm sure. Kinda hard not to with all the choices available. Hopefully I'll be hanging in my new setup in a few weeks. Oh! I was able to barrow the Onewind back long enough to determine my lay. So that will help with the Yeti.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast