Volara foam pad report

I have two pads of Volara foam that I use in my hammock (Hennessy Explorer Deluxe) for cold weather. One is 20"x72", 1/2" thick, and weighs 13 oz (this one slides into the sleeve of my Big Agnes sleeping bag). The other is 40"x50", 1/4" thick, and weighs 7 oz (this pad I place in my hammock to protect my torso and head area). My Big Agnes bag is the Fishhawk model rated to 30 degrees F.

I've used these pads for several camping trips but was able to test them in colder temperatures this weekend at Shining Rock Wilderness in North Carolina. Friday night the low was at least 24 degrees F. At 28 I was comfortable, but at 24 I begin to feel some cold. The problem was my bag and fact that I was wearing only shorts and one pair of socks. My mid-section was warm since I was wearing a t-shirt and a long sleeve, lightweight wool shirt.

Saturday night the temperature dropped to at least 18 degrees F. This night I wore same as above except I used long polyester tights instead of the shorts over my legs. I addition, I added inside my sleeping bag a fleece pull-over, extra socks, and a long-sleeve shirt. I positioned these at those spots that felt cold (e.g., placed fleece pull-over on top of my legs). With this combination I was warm until temps dropped below 20 then I began to feel some cold.

The pads appear to have been capable of handling the temperatures I experienced. It seems the chill I felt was due to my choice of clothing and sleeping bag. Had I added a fleece bag liner, or had a lower-rated sleeping bag, or used warmer clothes I would not have been chilled either night.

Overall I am pleased with these two pads for cold weather camping.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Sounds like that 3/4" of foam did the trick for you. I've been considering giving up my Wally World blue pad for something better.
    Also sounds like 30>18 when it comes to your sleeping bag. Must have been chilly on top.

Thanks for the write up.

• + New Posts