Who can choose?
    Tarp
    DW Bonded P2F
    Insulation
    Unicorn Fur
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch

Quick n easy backpackin trip in lower NY/NE PA area

I've got a few days off in a row coming up this next week, and I'm interested in doing a short and easy trip in the immediate vicinity of home (willing to do some traveling and maybe some carpooling). Not looking to set any landspeed records or to tackle any major challenges, but just have a fun walk in the woods for a 2-3 day trip. If anyone is interested in making a group out of it, let me know. Some areas around me include Harriman State Park, the Shawangunk Ridge Trail, sections of the AT from High Point through Pochuck Mountain, Wawayanda, and to Harriman - maybe up to Bear Mountain; or might consider driving into PA and doing a 3 day on the West Rim Trail if there's any interest for that.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, or PM me.
    Medical professional, semi-professional Scouter, aspiring layabout.
    "If it's stupid, and it works - it's not stupid."

S487-132

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    What dates... June 20-24? 6/19 is Fathers day so no-go but I might be able to swing something 6/20-23. I have a prior obligation on 6/24.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Who can choose?
    Tarp
    DW Bonded P2F
    Insulation
    Unicorn Fur
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    20-23 would work for me - I am back to work the 24th. I'm technically at work right now (on lunch and fortunately not much happening at the moment) but a Harriman loop would be fun next week since it's kind of in both our backyards, so to speak. Want to meet at Lake Skannatati parking lot Monday morning? That's usually a safe place to park for a couple days.

S487-132

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    OK I ran it by the ultimate authority () and am cleared for Mon thru Wed (6/20-22), so for 2 nights. Can't stay for Wed night-Thursday. If others can make it and do 3 nights I can suggest additional route, camping spots etc. Monday morning at Skannatati is good.

And of course if you already have something in mind I'm amenable to any suggestions for routes/distances/destinations.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Who can choose?
    Tarp
    DW Bonded P2F
    Insulation
    Unicorn Fur
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Sounds great! I'm open to suggestions regarding route planning - there's tons of great options in Harriman, though I'm leaning towards the 'moderate to easy' on the challenge slope. Still working on some recovery issues, and I'm neither as young or as resilient as I used to be, sadly, as much as I try to convince myself otherwise. Just means it takes a bit longer to work back up to the tougher challenges - and there's nothing wrong with taking it a bit slower.

I'll probably solo the third night unless someone else joins up - this is likely to be my woods fix for at least a month if not more. July is going to be a busy month.

S487-132

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    No worries, there are plenty of options without a huge amount of +/- elevation. Does about 10mpd work for you? More or less? Lotsa daylight so that would leave plenty of camping/hanging out time.

Hammock
    Who can choose?
    Tarp
    DW Bonded P2F
    Insulation
    Unicorn Fur
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    10 miles more or less sounds about perfect - nice and leisurely.

S487-132

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Just a couple of suggestions...

For Monday, the loop I did recently from Skannatati on Pine Swamp, north to Tiorati Brook, Beech trail to Long Path, hang a left and camp at Big Hill. 9.6 mi and minimal climbing. Tuesday, 3.5mi back to Skannatati on Long Path and then stay on Long path up to Stockbridge, right at 10mi total. Wednesday back to the car for me would be 6.5mi. I'll have the maps and we can figure out a Wednesday loop for those who can stay another night.

And at this point the weather forecast is looking excellent... a bit cooler and no rain!

Hammock
    Who can choose?
    Tarp
    DW Bonded P2F
    Insulation
    Unicorn Fur
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    That sounds just about perfect. May need to block out a bit of time Tuesday at Skannatati at the car - I've got a short unfortunate work project thing I'm going to have to take care of that cannot be moved from Tuesday - but it shouldn't take too long. Maybe long enough to have a cup of coffee or two and then we can get back on the trail. I was hoping to move it up a couple of days, but no dice - of course, if signal can be had on the trail, I can do it from camp, but I'd rather not carry the laptop and the mobile hotspot

This mobility of remote work has disadvantages as well as advantages ... at least it doesn't mean cancelling a trip for a 40 minute meeting where I may not even have any useful input.

S487-132

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    No worries, there's no signal at Skannatati — at least not Verizon or T-Mobile from my experience — but back down Seven lakes drive a bit at Reeves Meadow should be fine. Practically in Sloatsburg by then. There's something of a signal at Tiorati circle but whether it's solid enough for a zoom call I don't know. Wouldn't be a lot of competition for bandwidth on a Tuesday. What time is the meeting?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast