Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Synthetic UQs?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    2,103

    Synthetic UQs using UP?

    Is anyone aware of any vendor opting for "UP" as an insulator as an alternative to down? I realize it would save nothing in material cost and labor but the difference in cost of the filling sounds appealing.

    I guess my curiosity extends to TQs as well.

    (Edited to add "UP" to thread title.)
    Last edited by TominMN; 07-01-2022 at 18:36.

  2. #2
    sideshowraheem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    MN
    Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    259
    Cedar Ridge Outdoors makes UP synthetic quilts I believe, and LocoLibre use to at least.

    I have a few made with Apex and have really enjoyed those. I have a 45UQ/TQ set that I use in the summer and they perform really well. At that temp its not a whole lot of a weight penalty and they're just very slightly bulkier.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    2,103
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowraheem View Post
    Cedar Ridge Outdoors makes UP synthetic quilts I believe, and LocoLibre use to at least.

    ...
    Thanks.

  4. #4
    PopcornFool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Virginia
    Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Varies w/ Weather
    Suspension
    UHMWPE (J-Bend)
    Posts
    281
    Images
    7
    Following are some companies that I know make synthetic UQs (there may be others):
    - Arrowhead Equipment
    - Cedar Ridge
    - DD Hammocks
    - ENO
    - GO! Outfitters
    - Hemlock Mountain Outdoors
    - Outdoor Vitals
    - Simply Light Designs
    - Sierra Madre
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. Thatís not asking too much is it?

  5. #5
    PopcornFool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Virginia
    Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Varies w/ Weather
    Suspension
    UHMWPE (J-Bend)
    Posts
    281
    Images
    7
    There are quite a few more companies that make synthetic TQs.

    Plus (and I hesitate to mention the obvious elephant in the room) there are literally dozens of Chinese mass-produced options on Amazon. Personally, I wouldn't touch an Amazon UQ with somebody else's 10-foot pole, but there's a lot more wiggle room for TQs in my opinion. I've heard about folks having decent luck with cheap, warm-weather, synthetic TQs off Amazon.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. Thatís not asking too much is it?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    2,103
    Quote Originally Posted by PopcornFool View Post
    There are quite a few more companies that make synthetic TQs.

    Plus (and I hesitate to mention the obvious elephant in the room) there are literally dozens of Chinese mass-produced options on Amazon. Personally, I wouldn't touch an Amazon UQ with somebody else's 10-foot pole, but there's a lot more wiggle room for TQs in my opinion. I've heard about folks having decent luck with cheap, warm-weather, synthetic TQs off Amazon.
    Tallest Pole I ever met was well under 6'-6".

    I should have been more specific in the thread title. I've modified it. My main interest here is UP, rather than Climashield but thanks for the input.
    Last edited by TominMN; 07-01-2022 at 18:37.

  7. #7
    Darbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Winfield,IL.
    Hammock
    Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Posts
    111
    Images
    1
    I have a Cedar Ridge UQ 20į with UP and have been happy with it. I have used it in the twenties, and it kept me warm.

  8. #8
    PopcornFool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Virginia
    Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Varies w/ Weather
    Suspension
    UHMWPE (J-Bend)
    Posts
    281
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Tallest Pole I ever met was well under 6'-6".
    Too funny!!

    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    I should have been more specific in the thread title. I've modified it. My main interest here is UP, rather than Climashield but thanks for the input.
    Sorry. I missed the complete context. Of the ones I listed, most use ClimaShield APEX or their own proprietary branded insulation. Only Cedar Ridge uses UP. Outdoor Vitals uses LoftTek which is supposed to be very similar to UP, but I don't know of anyone else using any other similar, loose fiber, synthetic, imitation down. Looks like you might be limited to Cedar Ridge unless you go the DIY route.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. Thatís not asking too much is it?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    2,103
    Quote Originally Posted by PopcornFool View Post
    Sorry. I missed the complete context. Of the ones I listed, most use ClimaShield APEX or their own proprietary branded insulation. Only Cedar Ridge uses UP. Outdoor Vitals uses LoftTek which is supposed to be very similar to UP, but I don't know of anyone else using any other similar, loose fiber, synthetic, imitation down. Looks like you might be limited to Cedar Ridge unless you go the DIY route.
    If the UP product is as good as it seems, I guess I'm a bit surprised that many of the vendors of down TQs and UQs don't offer it as a cost savings option. I understand it's bulkier (requiring a bit more loft) and a bit heavier overall (as a result) but it seems like it might be a great alternative to going the Climashield route.

  10. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Wooster, OH
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Insulation
    AHE UQ & CRO UP TQ
    Suspension
    Poly web w/ Buckle
    Posts
    2
    Images
    1
    I have a 0, 20 and 40 degree UP TQ from Cedar Ridge Outdoors and I am incredibly happy with them. They don't stuff down as much as down, but they are just as warm and quite a bit less expensive.

  • + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Which Synthetic UQ?
      By Pennsy Camp and Canoe in forum Under Quilts
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: 08-14-2019, 17:53
    2. FS: DIY Synthetic UQ
      By cliffhanger in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 07-11-2015, 17:24
    3. Down vs synthetic
      By billsandysprings in forum Top Insulation
      Replies: 18
      Last Post: 03-25-2015, 17:39
    4. Looking for synthetic TQ
      By 732684 in forum Top Insulation
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 02-13-2015, 16:33
    5. 1st Synthetic UQ Q
      By unsponsored in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
      Replies: 12
      Last Post: 03-04-2010, 11:51

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •