Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Something like this? (the hammocks not centered, but you get the idea)

Attachment 9710

Attachment 9711

Attachment 9712
    I got to do the slits for the suspension, but what do you think.?

That is a zipper door on the side too!. Walk in standing up like Bufford T. Pusser
    Unzip the doors in fair weather, tie 'em back. The whole tarp can hinge at the ridgeline, allowing you some versatility in set up.Bring the other side down lower, lift the opposite higher with trekking poles or sticks.

Dangle some mosquito net and you got yerself a Gazeebo!
    yep thats it well...i would like a longer top ridge and maybe in a nice camo......
    what the heck,did you have that biult allready?have i been reading your old post in my sleep.is that were my ideas are coming from?
    was it biult last night?do you have a whole team at work over there?for gods sake man its just not ethical to have the wife and kids up sewing all night like that anymore,it is a school night after all.now put that roller down and get some rest!!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Child labor, man...**** the laws. (as I crack whip and the tears flow)

Yea, that was my very first tarp ever, and old dome tent fly section. I cut out a bunch of material and kept pinning till I tweeked out the dome-look. I was new and no one cared.

I was out of the box then, still am!

I think I still have it laying around somewhere (in the garage, or atttic, or basement, or closet or...maybe the shed...??) or I cut it up for something else? I'll take a looksee around and mod the slits in it and put up pics.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Isn't this concept essentially a cat cut ridgeline on a tarp with large doors on one end, and small doors on the other?

no doors on the ends....yet... hmm...thinking pose emoticon....
    just trying to bring tarp peaks down lower for more end to end blowing rain protection.
    am not totally up to speed on what cat cut is or is not but gargoyles looks like it was cut by a cat

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lonetracker View Post
    no doors on the ends....yet...
    Yes there are... pitch your tarp with steeper sides and the triangles defined by the center cut and the stake become doors.

The double drop design has no center cut, so this doesn't apply.

- MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    what if the slit you sew together wasn't sewn together, but had extra fabric so it would overlap, that would give back the different angle option, you'd have to tension them some way of course, so more lines/attachment points. just a thought.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    The slit will be tensioned. A d-ring at the end of the slit will allow the suspension to pass thru the slit and travel freely, say a foot or two, for varied pitches. The d-ring holds the two tails together at the edge of the tarp, tie out/guylines provide tension, thus closing the slit, similar to a bottom entry hammock. A small piece of rubber or silicone sheeting with a small hole will shed most of the water on the suspension for the hammock. The rubber would slide up above the tarp slit.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    what if the slit you sew together wasn't sewn together, but had extra fabric so it would overlap, that would give back the different angle option, you'd have to tension them some way of course, so more lines/attachment points. just a thought.
    Bingo!

How about not cutting the slit, but putting tie-outs where the slit would be cut, and at the V of where the slit would be. You get the shape if you want it, but could use it standard style as well if you want. The remaining fabric in the V would move enough to allow your hammock suspension to come up and out at a pretty good angle.

(Without really thinking it through) - it sounds like you might be able to modify most any large rectangle style tarp to it this way.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Scott, the slit is for your hammock suspension. Do want to use your tarp as a structural member, I wouldn't think loops sewn to the tarp would work??

Especially when factor in the added weight of an occupied hammock into the equation.? Seems like undo stress to the tarp?
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    2 ideas for the slit:

If you sew it closed, and want the suspension to move/slide without binding you could make a cone-shaped piece that would cinch to the suspension at the tip... (Think about the rubber/leather piece on a stick-shift that allows the shift lever to move, but seals it up)... A 6" diameter circle on the tarp would be sufficient to allow for movement... The only drawback would be if it inverted, it would collect rain and FUNNEL it down the suspension line... hmmm.... ok, scratch that one...

Idea2: If you cut the slit doors bigger, they can shock-cord to the opposite corner. To secure that end of the tarp, you'd need cords attached to each bottom corner of the door. (imagine grosgrain binding along the bottom edge only secured at the corners for the doors). A floating d-ring on each of these would act as the attachment point to the tree or lower stake for that end.

In a windstorm you might have to tighten it up, but for normal use that would make the door flexible enough to grab the end lift it up and walk in. Let it go and it would pop back into place...

The hammock suspension would be free to float in there, and you wouldn't have to worry about the hammock suspension being in just the right spot.

--maybe... This idea might need some refinement...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    Bingo!

How about not cutting the slit, but putting tie-outs where the slit would be cut, and at the V of where the slit would be. You get the shape if you want it, but could use it standard style as well if you want. The remaining fabric in the V would move enough to allow your hammock suspension to come up and out at a pretty good angle.

(Without really thinking it through) - it sounds like you might be able to modify most any large rectangle style tarp to it this way.
    good idea, just a way to form a pleat that could be undone to go back to flat tarp, and hammock susp exits under the edge like normal, no need to go through the tarp, that just adds alot of un necessary complication IMO

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast