diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images

model 1 done pics

Quote Originally Posted by Running Feather View Post
    Very interesting. I can't wait for the pics!
    here they are
    the scissors is 8 inches.the orange webing is there to show how the hammock suspention goes thru slits
    this is some 2 dollar wallyworld nylon ? ,very light,not ripstop,may be doing a oq with it with wool batting.

DSCN22470001.JPG
    more of a top view,looks like i can use less material on foot end sides. this one was hung to scale the peak is about 5foot9in the ridgeline is about7 feet high on ends.i learned i will have to put a short strap on the peak so i do not have to reach as high to tie the ridge.

]DSCN22540001.JPG
    more of a under view
    DSCN22570001.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    LT, I did a similar design for my my oldest boy, he has it at college now. But I was going to do the same thing as you and slit the skinny tail end, to allow the suspension to pass thru. Never got it done before he left. I'll tackle it this summer when he's home.
    Your design has a more pronounced peak, but I'm close, once I add a tie out to the upper-mid ridgeline. Or, possibly a tent pole, run corner to corner.
    Attachment 9650Attachment 9649Attachment 9647

Attachment 9648
    is yours more rounded on top,how did you sew yours in?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    I like the design.......how are you going to be keeping the rain that runs off from the peak dripping into the hammock. Are you going to use omni-tape or velcro to close the split seams at the end of the tarp? Is the ridgline between the two splits longer than your hammock??????

Not knocking the design just not seeing where the water will go along the ridgeline..........
    the slits will only be about 8 inches long and will not end over hammock.

i was going to have a attachment point on each finger of the slit and attach them both to the guy line after putting over hammock suspention.i do not know what omni tape is but velcro is a good idea to use here.thanks for the suggestion.

yes the ridgeline between the slits will be longer than the hammock

Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    I like your out of the box thinking.

Because you're loosing a fair amount of ground with the peak style (actual ridgeline distance), I would suggest making the initial tarp length quite a bit longer - 12ft should be good, and that would likely drop it to more like 10.5ft once you cut the slit and put it back together.

I know this is anathema here, but this would also make it a very nice ground tarp if you ever had to use it as such.
    thanks for that sugestion,i did not loose to much to the angled distance,9inch on the scaled model,but adding the distance lost for the slits ...i like the 12 ' idea.
    as far as that last thing you said if i ever have to sleep on the ground again i am not going to use a tarp,may sleep in a puddle.i want to be as miserable as i can so i never forget,and never get myself in that situation again..

Quote Originally Posted by greenlespaul View Post
    i really lke this idea...i think i'm going to try to make a scale model of one...just to play around with the idea
    get some pics,need input.thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TroutEhCuss View Post
    Question, if your height is 5'10, so you made your peak 6', how high would you plan on putting the straps/line for the peak to the trees? 7'?

Interesting idea to get some standing room.
    i think if i pull the ridge tight i need about 7 feet.this may be effected by tree spaceing.
    i hate being all hunched over,outside,triing to get dressed under my tarp.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Lt, Here's my original post from last year.
    You'll have to be creative with your cat cut ridge to get your proposed peak. But it can be done. I did not slit my tarp...yet, but it is so long, it can be a pain during setup.
    If I do slit the tail of the tarp, weatherstripping (thinking outside the box again, the same style rubber weatherstrip thats on your car, where the window slides down into the door.) Similar in profile to this weatherstripping.
    I would sew a hem, around my cut tail and then stitch this weatherstrip in to both or possibly just one side. The suspension could then move as you enter and exit the hammock, yet still give some water protection. Any flat style rubber strip could work, I suppose.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    AHHA! the light bulb just went off!!. A rubber cone fitted to the suspension! Slide the cone up the line, just above the slit. The water will run down the line hit the cone, get shed to the outside? hmmm? maybe?
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    it looks great...i like it alot
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lonetracker View Post
    here they are

DSCN22470001.JPG
    That's all fine and dandy, but you clearly forgot to make the scaled down hammock to put under it.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    That's all fine and dandy, but you clearly forgot to make the scaled down hammock to put under it.
    didn't forget..when i was thinking of heading to wally world to buy something to lay in the tiny hammock(i needed a size model) i decided i was becomeing to involved and quit....before i also had a tiny backpack,little alchohol stove,marshmallow sized sleeping bag....

Images
    seems like you might lose some versatility. my thinking is that the pitch is now kinda fixed (like a tent rainfly) since it's now 3 dimensional. you can't pitch it flatter in fair weather for instance, unless i'm picturing it wrong. still if you can come up with a pitch that you're happy with then go with it. never hurts to have another tarp

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    seems like you might lose some versatility. my thinking is that the pitch is now kinda fixed (like a tent rainfly) since it's now 3 dimensional. you can't pitch it flatter in fair weather for instance, unless i'm picturing it wrong. still if you can come up with a pitch that you're happy with then go with it. never hurts to have another tarp
    i think you are pictureing it right.and yes i will loose some tarp adjustment options.but if i can stand under it and it is set for bad weather.how much do i have to adjust it?maybe i can leave it the same most of the time.
    you got me thinking again.how about a double drop design.foot and head end peaks drop.i think there will be even more headroom and weather proofness this way.

[IMG][/IMG]

i think i thought of a way to make a regular tarp fold down to look like above picture in the field.you would need to have sewn tie outs on the ridge were the 1's are.also sewed some on the underside of the tarp directly under the 1's.hang tarp using one piece ridgeline attached to the ones.attach one string to top 2 to the underside at a 1. tie the two side by side under strings to the tree at angle you want the drop to be.take top string and pull it between lower strings pulling a fold of tarp through with it.when everything is pulled tight were you want it,tie this cord to one of your bottom side tie outs.steak in side tie outs.done you now have a hip gable tarp.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lonetracker; 04-14-2010 at 01:12.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Something like this? (the hammocks not centered, but you get the idea)

moms kids dads hammock 006.JPG

moms kids dads hammock 005.JPG

moms kids dads hammock 007.JPG
    I got to do the slits for the suspension, but what do you think.?

That is a zipper door on the side too!. Walk in standing up like Bufford T. Pusser
    Unzip the doors in fair weather, tie 'em back. The whole tarp can hinge at the ridgeline, allowing you some versatility in set up.Bring the other side down lower, lift the opposite higher with trekking poles or sticks.

Dangle some mosquito net and you got yerself a Gazeebo!
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Isn't this concept essentially a cat cut ridgeline on a tarp with large doors on one end, and small doors on the other?

- MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast