diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    awesome lots of good ideas.this thing is taking on a life of its own.people must be ready for a change.or there is just a lot of creative tinkerers on this site.
    Quote Originally Posted by lonetracker View Post
    i think i thought of a way to make a regular tarp fold down to look like above picture in the field.you would need to have sewn tie outs on the ridge were the 1's are.also sewed some on the underside of the tarp directly under the 1's.hang tarp using one piece ridgeline attached to the ones.attach one string to top. 2 to the underside at a 1. tie the two side by side under strings to the tree at angle you want the drop to be.take top string and pull it between lower strings pulling a fold of tarp through with it.when everything is pulled tight were you want it,tie this cord to one of your bottom side tie outs.steak in side tie outs.done you now have a hip gable tarp.
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    Bingo!

How about not cutting the slit, but putting tie-outs where the slit would be cut, and at the V of where the slit would be. You get the shape if you want it, but could use it standard style as well if you want. The remaining fabric in the V would move enough to allow your hammock suspension to come up and out at a pretty good angle.

(Without really thinking it through) - it sounds like you might be able to modify most any large rectangle style tarp to it this way.
    i think we are both not thinking through the same thing here.a little differant technique,and yours reads better.

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    good idea, just a way to form a pleat that could be undone to go back to flat tarp, and hammock susp exits under the edge like normal, no need to go through the tarp, that just adds alot of un necessary complication IMO
    sarted to go in this direction myself.when my ripstop arrives... who knows what i will doto many ideasi asked for it.
    i am going to make the original idea from the start of this thread but am going to ad some extra tieouts on the foot end and see how much in the field versatility i can get out of it.i got to get out in the wood and do some undersurbed thunking
    thanks all for you replys
    bill

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Scott, the slit is for your hammock suspension. Do want to use your tarp as a structural member, I wouldn't think loops sewn to the tarp would work??

Especially when factor in the added weight of an occupied hammock into the equation.? Seems like undo stress to the tarp?
    Not at all what I meant - using the tarp as a go-between for hammock suspension would be a horrible idea. Pictures really are worth 1000 words!

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    good idea, just a way to form a pleat that could be undone to go back to flat tarp, and hammock susp exits under the edge like normal, no need to go through the tarp, that just adds alot of un necessary complication IMO
    Exactly. I just meant that if the suspension wanted to go up a bit, the pleat is loose, so it can still let the suspension ride up a foot or so w/o needing to change anything on the tarp. Does that make sense?

Either way - looking forward to your tarp. This is a neat idea and fun to explore.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    How about not cutting the slit, but ...
    That is an excellent idea, Scott!

If I had a GG 12X12, I would try it this afternoon!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    i am sure some of you do this.to help visualize what your tarp may look like fold up a piece of paper.its easy to fold one in half,wow now you have a little paper tarp!!,now put a couple other folds in there and visualized possibilities become discussable(is cuss as in@$%#*%!!! really the root of that word? if misspelled...i like my spelling better)realitys.
    i started this dream with a idea a piece of paper and scissors lookin like i may have snipped to fast.

i hope someone else biulds something out of all this,and tells us about it,good or bad.
    keep the ideas coming
    bill

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    i do not know if anyone was wondering.i have mostly got this done and had it out for a couple nights.i stuck mostly to the original plan,except i made it 12 feet long,and the peak back to 4 foot.the triangle i took out was 4feet by18inches on each side.
    i could not get the part from the peak to the front straight.could not get quite high enough.may have been from bad sewing.

[IMG][/IMG]

has kind of a hound dog look from this angle.those flaps in the front i can leave hanging tied together as they are to help with blowing rain,or stake them out.i may cut that off and hem a cat cut back to the next tie out.so far i do not mind them on there.

[IMG][/IMG]

this shows the slit were the suspesion comes thru.i ended up making these to small.i had a hard time getting high enough up the tree with my tarp suspension to tighten it corectly.i pulled these threads apart and am resewing these a couple inches bigger.

[IMG][/IMG]

inside from the front view.

[IMG][/IMG]

pros; it did what i wanted,gave me some head room.a storm came in after i set it .it was very nice not haveing to readjust my tarp extra low and tight.then not be able to hardly fit under it.with this i had some head room,and my tarp was low enogh to not worry about the blowing rain.it did leak a little i bought regular 1.1ripstop and water proofed it myself.the seams need another coat,espesially right above my face.

cons;finicky set up,i will figure it out.i kind of like fiddleing around anyway.
    the sewing is not that great.
    the peak is a great fly collecter.they fly in and cannot get out.yelling fly down does no good.

lessons;this thing was a little beyond my expierience level.hemming those cat cuts were hard.i had some redos.that angled peak section was hard to keep straight also.i think from sewing out of square to the ripstop?
    i should have sewed it square first then took it out and tried different angle with the method sclittlefield mentioned.now i wish i had a little less peak and will have to sew stuff back on,if making the split seams bigger does not work.it works the way it is it is just right at my max reach for tying it.

i am sewing the mid side tieouts on now,need to resew the split and some more whater proofing and its ready to try again.
    thanks
    bill

anyone else do anything along these lines?

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lonetracker View Post
    this thing was a little beyond my expierience level.
    Not any more!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I got the material, and I've been giving it some thought. I think your on the right track for a stand up, head-room style tarp.
    Flycatcher huh, maybe a survival food tool, hey, it's multi-purpose, you won't have to leave the hammock for food. mmm, fly burgers
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Very cool idea - I love seeing different approaches to innovative tarps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234