Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckle

DCF have any UPF factor for sun protection?

Hello,

It seems all the DCF tarps seem pretty see through. Does anyone know if they have any UPF sun protection value?

I couldn’t find any info related to UPF on Dutchweargear or Hammockgear websites..

Thanks,

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    If you're looking for sun protection from DCF tarps, you're probably barking up the wrong tree. Personally, I can't see buying a DCF tarp if you're looking for UV protection - that implies you're hanging out in the sun during the daytime. DCF tarps are more for people who want to lighten their load when hiking, not to lighten their load for car camping and day lounging.

I have an HG Winter Palace DCF tarp, and I don't think I've ever slept in past 9 or 10 am. DCF tarps are the ultimate lightweight weather protection. However, if you're looking for lightweight UV protection, it's not the tarp for you. Frankly, I don't even know what type of tarp to buy for lightweight UV protection.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckle
    I’ve seen several threads about skin cancer… I have had as spot removed already as well.

I would like to upgrade to a 12’ tarp with doors and while maybe I don’t need ultra light for all my needs, It would be nice to have just one main hammock and tarp. I may use it to just relax while camping in my travel trailer, Or when I have a work trip to the Bahamas and just want to relax during the day. Blocking the sun could make it more enjoyable. I always seem to pack to much on all my trips and while having a suitcase, electronics etc. keeping the additional hammock and tarp light could be helpful. The stiffness of DCF appeals to me and I am a fan of buy once, cry once..

Maybe the Silpoly doesn't provide much sun protection either? Just making conversation and trying to learn really.

Thanks for the input,

Planenut

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    As SS mentioned aside from UV protection DCF isn't going to give you anything close to what one might consider at the beach as shade.

I can see the actual outside vegetation through my DCF Hex and it's camo patterned.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by planenut View Post
    I’ve seen several threads about skin cancer… I have had as spot removed already as well.

I would like to upgrade to a 12’ tarp with doors and while maybe I don’t need ultra light for all my needs, It would be nice to have just one main hammock and tarp. I may use it to just relax while camping in my travel trailer, Or when I have a work trip to the Bahamas and just want to relax during the day. Blocking the sun could make it more enjoyable. I always seem to pack to much on all my trips and while having a suitcase, electronics etc. keeping the additional hammock and tarp light could be helpful. The stiffness of DCF appeals to me and I am a fan of buy once, cry once..

Maybe the Silpoly doesn't provide much sun protection either? Just making conversation and trying to learn really.

Thanks for the input,

Planenut
    For that purpose, DCF is totally inadequate. I'd honestly just get a cheap tarp on Amazon or, if you need great quality and moderate weight and price, something like a HG Quest tarp in a dark color.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckle
    Thanks, I will check that one out..

• + New Posts