Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    New Member Sinite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    South Burlington, VT
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    Wookie UQ, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopies,
    Posts
    35

    Dutchware Halfwit?

    Iím looking for a minimalist hammock setup for bikepacking the Great Divide. I will have to bring a tent as my main shelter. Bringing my usual lightweight hammock and bugnet is still too bulky/ heavy. Anyone have experience using the halfwit on hot, buggy summer nights? I am concerned that the bugs will feast on my legs when itís too hot to be under the 30f quilt I will be using.

  2. #2
    SilvrSurfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Posts
    14,688
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinite View Post
    I am concerned that the bugs will feast on my legs when it’s too hot to be under the 30f quilt I will be using.
    Therein lies the problem with the Half-Wit design: if you kick your quilt off your legs when you overheat (and I do), the mosquitoes will feast! For that reason, I've never considered the Half-Wit.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

  3. #3
    cougarmeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Bend, OR
    Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Posts
    3,441
    I use a HUG for day hikes. I think it's like a Halfwit without the hammock. I'm seldom a in a situation where skeeters are a problem (I have been - the north end of Hosmer Lake) but it only takes one to ruin a good hang. I don't know the science on "bite through" resistance of materials - like winter weight cotton jammies if you know you are going to kick off the quilt.. In the summer a 30į UQ might work for me, but the TQ would be no more than 40į.

    Another option is skeeter begone devices - like a ThermaCell - assuming they will last as long as necessary.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 02-01-2023 at 14:27.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

  4. #4
    New Member Sinite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    South Burlington, VT
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    Wookie UQ, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopies,
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I use a HUG for day hikes. I think it's like a Halfwit without the hammock. I'm seldom a in a situation where skeeters are a problem (I have been - the north end of Hosmer Lake) but it only takes one to ruin a good hang. I don't know the science on "bit through" resistance of materials - like winter weight cotton jammies if you know you are going to kick off the quilt.. In the summer a 30į UQ might work for me, but the TQ would be no more than 40į.

    Another option is skeeter begone devices - like a ThermaCell - assuming they will last as long as necessary.
    What is a HUG? Is that a Dutchware thing?
    I will be riding my bike through the Rockies from Banff Alberta to the Mexican border. In areas with mosquitoes they tend to be extreme. The areas with trees will likely have mosquitoes I imagine. Some nights will be hot, others may have snow.
    I have been looking for a bugnet that can work with a ground setup as well as hammock, but havenít found anything in the ultralight area.
    Also, going to have to use my air mat instead of underquilt to save weight and space. Definitely open to suggestions.

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Location
    Iowa
    Hammock
    AHE Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidg Owyhee
    Suspension
    DIY
    Posts
    33

  6. #6
    New Member Sinite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    South Burlington, VT
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    Wookie UQ, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopies,
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    Ah, got it. Thanks!

  7. #7
    cmoulder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Ossining, NY
    Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Posts
    4,838
    Images
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinite View Post
    What is a HUG? Is that a Dutchware thing?
    I will be riding my bike through the Rockies from Banff Alberta to the Mexican border. In areas with mosquitoes they tend to be extreme. The areas with trees will likely have mosquitoes I imagine. Some nights will be hot, others may have snow.
    I have been looking for a bugnet that can work with a ground setup as well as hammock, but havenít found anything in the ultralight area.
    Also, going to have to use my air mat instead of underquilt to save weight and space. Definitely open to suggestions.
    Perhaps experiment ó maybe you have already done so ó with the air mat in a hammock before forgoing a UQ. I tried it and immediately realized it wasn't going to work for me. Might be best to carry a ~8oz air mat in addition to UQ. You will probably sleep very few nights on the ground, so it seems more logical to spend a few comparatively uncomfortable nights on the ground rather than endure discomfort every single night in the hammock.

    BUT ó maybe you're one of the few who is perfectly okay with the air mat.

    I would also suggest a fully netted hammock, and, if you haven't already, check out Shug's video on how to GtG with the hammock, in essence using it as a bug bivy.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ) Instagram (me!)

    ďIf everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.Ē ~ Gen. George S Patton

  8. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2023
    Location
    Dallas,TX
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinite View Post
    Iím looking for a minimalist hammock setup for bikepacking the Great Divide. I will have to bring a tent as my main shelter. Bringing my usual lightweight hammock and bugnet is still too bulky/ heavy. Anyone have experience using the halfwit on hot, buggy summer nights? I am concerned that the bugs will feast on my legs when itís too hot to be under the 30f quilt I will be using.
    Can't really think of my lightweight alternatives aside from mentioned HUG.
    Repelants barely work in my experience, so might aswell skip those. Maybe re-shufle your bag till you have space/weight for a decent bugnet
    Last edited by attroll; 02-19-2023 at 09:08.

  9. #9
    New Member Basecamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    43
    How about using a light-weight quilt liner instead of a quilt on warm nights in your half-wit?

    Sent using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    New Member Sinite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    South Burlington, VT
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    Wookie UQ, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopies,
    Posts
    35
    I have thought about soaking a liner in permethrin and using that, but it would weigh as much as the bugnet and take up as much space.
    I will be riding my bike for almost 3,000 miles through the Rockies. Space and weight will be at a premium. I’m starting to think that I will just have to drop the hammock idea all together. Thing is, sleeping in the hammock is rejuvenating for my body. I sleep way better and it is good for my back.
    It’s a tough call.
    I am surprised that no Halfwit users are chiming in on this conversation.

  • + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. WTB: Dutchware Halfwit Hammock
      By Falarny in forum Archived WTB
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 09-08-2020, 16:13
    2. Halfwit
      By Uphill in forum Dutchware
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 09-10-2018, 16:58
    3. FS: Dutch Halfwit 10.5' Hammock
      By tlfillingim in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 05-02-2017, 08:48
    4. FS: Dutchware HalfWit - Hexon 1.0 - Camo - like new - Half-Wit
      By TheMushroom in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 05-02-2017, 06:08
    5. Dutch Halfwit
      By mabrown730 in forum Dutchware
      Replies: 20
      Last Post: 04-24-2016, 17:01

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •